+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 207 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

hate to say it but the only way this game would last to the general audience for NA/EU launching right now, would be to slow level progression way down (back to how it was at the start of the year) and launch with all the current up to date KR client, that'd probably be enough to last people we got the level 60 cap content

while I've been playing around 9 months and I'm still not bored with the game, about half of that time was played with slower level progression (which wasn't such a bad thing)
    but now you can pretty much be done with TERA in 2-3months depending on your luck with drops, unless you level up multiple characters

I could easily restart on EME servers right now though if they did launch and I'd be happy doing the same shit I've done until they added in the level 60 cap coz overall the game is fun and it has a lot of potential, but whether or not others would feel the same way with the current content who knows :3

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

wow just saw that producers letter, I'm surprised that they've gotten the evolution patch up so soon(assuming they mean its ready to go, ie translations etc) if not then whatever

also looks like EME is responsible for the current easy-mode leveling, now I know who to blame for the level 58 scrubs :3
    makes me sad though because EME said they were going to have their own leveling curve, but if they've supposedly influenced the current leveling, so much for that

hope they launch with enough to keep people busy, coz there's gonna be people doing endgame about a week after launch

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

^ I dont usually follow other MMOs too carefully if I'm not playing them, but Rift and SW:TOR also have people doing end game after a week of launch (or less depending on the player). I think perhaps this is the new "standard" expectation or just reality of MMOs now.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

As long as they can keep the content coming, that's where the money is. Pretty sure it's also why XI has been following down a similar path. I think you'll find a higher percentage of people that are more willing to play a casual game and enjoy it rather than a time consuming game that would potentially take months to see the same results.

Looking at it all together, I think it's a good thing and a bad thing for multiple reason. The worst part is the audience it's attracting via officials...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

So what's the poing of levels at all then? Grinding, questing, farming xp in any way...get rid of it all. Just release a game with "end game" content and rock on.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Because no company has tried to do it yet and made a profit. I know that your question is a snarky, rhetorical one, but it still has an answer: because the current system of easy leveling and fast content-updates is not only seen as being a profitable system, but has been proven to be a profitable system. Look how much more money WoW made than XI? Look how many more subs WoW and Rift's generation grabbed than XI's?

Changing systems takes a long time. Look at how long EQ's generation of grind-happy, slow, plodding, eye-numbing progress was considered the gold standard. These things take time. When some new developer decides to give the dessert without requiring the main course and people suck it up, you'll start seeing it become standard.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by BGtemp View Post
    ^ I dont usually follow other MMOs too carefully if I'm not playing them, but Rift and SW:TOR also have people doing end game after a week of launch (or less depending on the player). I think perhaps this is the new "standard" expectation or just reality of MMOs now.
    maybe I'm just old fashion then, I haven't played too many MMOs I tend to just stick to one if I'm happy with it, but the ones I have played have been slow progression

Quote Originally Posted by Cian View Post
    As long as they can keep the content coming, that's where the money is. Pretty sure it's also why XI has been following down a similar path. I think you'll find a higher percentage of people that are more willing to play a casual game and enjoy it rather than a time consuming game that would potentially take months to see the same results.
    I'm fine with casual, I considered the game to be fairly casual when it only took 3-4weeks to hit cap, when they boosted quest xp that was still fine too, it helped make things a little more smooth, but I think they went overboard with the combo of xp boosts/level decreases etc

Quote Originally Posted by Maaglin View Post
    So what's the poing of levels at all then? Grinding, questing, farming xp in any way...get rid of it all. Just release a game with "end game" content and rock on.
    pretty much what I've been thinking, I think a lot of the PVP community like their games to be like that, ala private servers always having massive xp boosts etc, I mean if your only interest is PVP then there's no reason for you to want to grind or do PVE

my beefs with the way the leveling is now, you can skip so much where before you couldn't really skip unless you wanted to flat out grind your way
    before you could learn BAM patterns etc before going into a dungeon more or less, you played your class long enough to learn how to be good at it

learning the game/to be good at the game takes time,9months later I'm still learning new things about certain dungeons even after doing them for ~3months (certain things to improve runs) and I think there's a limit to how much you can learn about the game in 1 week

I dunno maybe it's just me wanting a somewhat decent playerbase like FFXI had, but judging by the mass of the officials I can't see that happening

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by FriskUni View Post
    I dunno maybe it's just me wanting a somewhat decent playerbase like FFXI had, but judging by the mass of the officials I can't see that happening
    Biggest fail of the officials right hereeee
    http://www.tera-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7253

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Because no company has tried to do it yet and made a profit. I know that your question is a snarky, rhetorical one, but it still has an answer: because the current system of easy leveling and fast content-updates is not only seen as being a profitable system, but has been proven to be a profitable system. Look how much more money WoW made than XI? Look how many more subs WoW and Rift's generation grabbed than XI's?

Changing systems takes a long time. Look at how long EQ's generation of grind-happy, slow, plodding, eye-numbing progress was considered the gold standard. These things take time. When some new developer decides to give the dessert without requiring the main course and people suck it up, you'll start seeing it become standard.
    Actually my comment wasn't really meant to be rhetorical.

If the point is really to take the "grind" out and let everyone be max level in under a month, then really, what's the point? Just focus on making content and upgrading your character by other means such as gear and skill progressions that aren't tied to a "level", but rather things you just go do because it's fun.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Cian View Post
    Biggest fail of the officials right hereeee
    http://www.tera-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7253
    15 pages of people I won't be playing with, good times :3

gonna be slim pickings for my guild that's for sure

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Maaglin View Post
    Actually my comment wasn't really meant to be rhetorical.

If the point is really to take the "grind" out and let everyone be max level in under a month, then really, what's the point? Just focus on making content and upgrading your character by other means such as gear and skill progressions that aren't tied to a "level", but rather things you just go do because it's fun.
    As I said, designing completely new concepts takes time. You're weighing the risk of "comfort" vs. "the unknown". Too much comfort and you get a warhammer. Too much unknown and you get something like Hellgate: London. These designers have to weigh a lot of things, including what they view to be consumer interest in the allure of "something new". When people are sick and tired of the current system, its a perfect time to try something new. I think its why Guild Wars did so well with their F2P model, and, to a lesser extent, why people are so damned hyped for Guild Wars 2.

I think your model will become a reality someday, but I don't think it'll be anytime soon. I have a feeling that there is still plenty of gas left in the "WoW-Type" tank, despite so many companies trying to copy it and crashing and burning. We'll see, though.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by FriskUni View Post
    15 pages of people I won't be playing with, good times :3

gonna be slim pickings for my guild that's for sure
    Tera Community, I hope, will be here on BG. Much like the um.. "crowd" that Alla or KI attracted for FFXI, the official Tera forums (perhaps TeraFans too. I dont go there much though) will be much in the same I'm afraid.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by BGtemp View Post
    Tera Community, I hope, will be here on BG. Much like the um.. "crowd" that Alla or KI attracted for FFXI, the official Tera forums (perhaps TeraFans too. I dont go there much though) will be much in the same I'm afraid.
    yea sad thing is it seems like the majority of the community will be coming from the officials lol... and looking at all the recruiting threads over there, I'm scared!

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Book in GameStop reads May 2nd, 2012 now.

More than likely bullshit, we know, but interesting nonetheless.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I would not be disappointed with a May release. Ecstatic with an April release, disappointed with a June release. May works (agree with the BS of gamestop dates though etc)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I really enjoyed the battle system in TERA Online when I tried it on J-TERA open beta . I really like the music as well as the graphics especially all the zones. Got up to level 25, still a newbie level but enjoyed every minute of it. I don't think it will reach the 500k mark like FFXI did but I'm betting it will reach at least half that. Chances are they will do better than Aion because of 3 things. 1. PVE servers for the west. 2. Not as much as a grind as Aion was initially. 3. You can level up via quests than just solely grinding, something you ran out of in Aion around level 35 back in the day. One thing that worries me is that EME is barely promoting the game, compared to let's say SWTOR, Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2. And we are one step away from Christmas Eve, they should of posted something... that is not a weekly picture.

I am not sure if it is NCsoft's fault that they just don't care enough (they care about your wallet but not enough to go any further) or just that EME does not know how to promote a game. I understand that outside the battle system, very little if anything is new to the MMO table (although very well polished) and maybe that is a part of the reason. I hope when the westernization is done, it is much more than just A. Look we translated all the text to English with references to hamburgers and the latest Hollywood star/movie so the NA people can enjoy. B. We altered the cute race because it makes the game look less "Happy Bear" friendly. I mean c'mon... They better have an extensive list of the changes they made.

They are looking towards a late Spring release, I think in part because they "may" be waiting on when Guild Wars 2 is announced or Diablo 3. Sort of like how SWTOR announced the release the day after Blizzard delayed. No idea why they are so quiet. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised at a summer release. Also isn't almost half the team from EME from NCWest? /sadfacepalmdesk

Relic Horn
    BG Level

4 and 5: graphics and the females.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
    I really enjoyed the battle system in TERA Online when I tried it on J-TERA open beta . I really like the music as well as the graphics especially all the zones. Got up to level 25, still a newbie level but enjoyed every minute of it. I don't think it will reach the 500k mark like FFXI did but I'm betting it will reach at least half that. Chances are they will do better than Aion because of 3 things. 1. PVE servers for the west. 2. Not as much as a grind as Aion was initially. 3. You can level up via quests than just solely grinding, something you ran out of in Aion around level 35 back in the day. One thing that worries me is that EME is barely promoting the game, compared to let's say SWTOR, Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2. And we are one step away from Christmas Eve, they should of posted something... that is not a weekly picture.

I am not sure if it is NCsoft's fault that they just don't care enough (they care about your wallet but not enough to go any further) or just that EME does not know how to promote a game. I understand that outside the battle system, very little if anything is new to the MMO table (although very well polished) and maybe that is a part of the reason. I hope when the westernization is done, it is much more than just A. Look we translated all the text to English with references to hamburgers and the latest Hollywood star/movie so the NA people can enjoy. B. We altered the cute race because it makes the game look less "Happy Bear" friendly. I mean c'mon... They better have an extensive list of the changes they made.

They are looking towards a late Spring release, I think in part because they "may" be waiting on when Guild Wars 2 is announced or Diablo 3. Sort of like how SWTOR announced the release the day after Blizzard delayed. No idea why they are so quiet. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised at a summer release. Also isn't almost half the team from EME from NCWest? /sadfacepalmdesk
    I foresee eme doing nor being any different than ncwest. On board to take orders and do the bitch work, but hopefully not reaching the same point of spite where in aions case they wouldn't report some glitches that ended up with a positive user experience. Question is more of how much korea ncsoft remains with the new pencil pushers and former L3 dev team as far as ideals and management.

I agree about the date though. Gamestop is bs, however the spring 2011 most likely means may all said and done in this stage of mmo developer land, assuming nothing causing any actual critical delays.

Aion took about 4 to 6 weeks to 50 playing with a normal life, abet intelligently. They sold themselves largely on the abyss, which sucked, and had no real instanced pvp to back it up. And the pvpve, with sieges. Good outweighed the bad imo, and would like to see more of.

Tera isn't falsely selling the farm of anything from what it looks likes at least. Once an open beta rolls in, hopefully that's when they starts the pr machine rolling.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Senji View Post
    Aion took about 4 to 6 weeks to 50 playing with a normal life, abet intelligently. They sold themselves largely on the abyss, which sucked, and had no real instanced pvp to back it up. And the pvpve, with sieges. Good outweighed the bad imo, and would like to see more of.
    I'd say it took 6-10 week's depending on your "normal life". A good number of players took well until late november after launch to hit 50. After the advent of xp weekends that time period dropped significantly. (And rose significantly as a lot of players took to only really playing on those weekends.) I'd disagree with them selling themselves mostly on the abyss. I would say they sold themselves on Flight based combat (both pve and pvp) and "limited open world pvp" with the abyss at its center. I for one despise open world pvp in any game. Call my a care bear or whatever, but I simply prefer to pvp when I choose and pve when I choose. It is one of the core reasons I chose to play XI for so long. The Abyss was not a failure because of how it played out. The Abyss was a failure because of balance and the basics of early flight based combat. The PvP in Aion to this day is incredibly imbalanced. Sure, every class has a chance, but the undergeared Ranger can almost always best the geared to the teeth (insert class here). The same can be said at certain points for Spiritmasters, Gladiators, Sins and Sorcs. The good of the mechanics did indeed outweigh the bad, unfortunately, their really is very little to do in Aion. There is no end game besides a single instance and a single raid (if you can get lucky enough to get into it) and Crucible. The game is built upon PvP and Leveling up. Which is fine, but they need to give more at endgame

Quote Originally Posted by Senji View Post
    Tera isn't falsely selling the farm of anything from what it looks likes at least. Once an open beta rolls in, hopefully that's when they starts the pr machine rolling.
    I disagree. Their "True Action Combat" is at its heart a huge falsehood. Do not get me wrong, I enjoyed the game when I played it for a bit in KTera. However, the combat was not True Action, by any stretch. Having to stop moving in order to use ANY ability stops it from being True Action. Action yes, True Action no. If I can't jump and swing my sword, or roll and cast, it is not True Action. Yes, you do not have to target to cast, but that in and of itself doesn't make it what they claim it to be.

They can't wait til open beta to begin to start up the PR machine full force. With announcements from JTera that they are "consolidating servers" after a mere few months of release, it does not bode well for NA/EU Tera's prospects and they needed to get out in front of the news. We all know that KTera and JTera have failed to hit the mark in those countries. They will be extremely hardpressed to steal enough press time from the SWTOR, WoW, Rift, GW2 and even Secret World hype machines to get the word out on Tera if they do not start NOW.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Seems like they really dropped the ball on this game a few months back. NA was a much larger market than Japan after all. This has been off people's radars for awhile now.