+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 207 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 106 ... LastLast
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

seems like KTERA lost even more people, at least by the looks of ellion, though some probably waiting for the next big update this Q

but yea, if people can play KTERA for months without understanding the language and still enjoy the game, it can only get better playing with friends/understanding the game, right?

TSB

May 1st is my Birthday.

It is fate.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Delayed 'til the 2nd.

TSB

FUCK

TSB

Oh well, I'll be in all the tests. :D

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by TSB View Post
    Oh well, I'll be in all the tests. :D
    Yeah. Between Open beta and assuming headstart, wouldn't be surprised if attempting to log into something on March 30.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Finally.....only question I have now is will the updates for this game be universal or will our content always be a few months behind KTera?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

They claim to want to stay as close to Korea as possible, but then again, every company says the same. Last I checked, though, the new UI was in English just a few weeks after it was implemented in K-TERA. Assuming they carry this into retail, we should be fine.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Hitoshura View Post

How good is the controller support in Tera? Does it feel like more of an action game feel using it?
    A bit of info about controller support from their FAQ:
    Mouse movement and all action bindings are supported. You can configure your controller to perform all of the action bindings available to a mouse and keyboard. This includes movement, abilities on your action bars, UI commands, navigating menus and even adjusting your view. In addition, some controllers support combination bindings. The Xbox 360 controller, for example, can bind a shoulder or trigger with the A, B, X and Y buttons to increase the number of useable actions.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

I fail to see how this game is going to succeed in in English speaking countries after being an epic failure in s.Korea and Japan.

Aren't there a bunch of changes to make the game more appealing? I was under the impression that the game we get in the US will be different than the one currently out in Asia.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

They aren't changing anything drastic. Will be small changes, though im hoping for more than just localization and minor changes

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Agito View Post
    I fail to see how this game is going to succeed in in English speaking countries after being an epic failure in s.Korea and Japan.
    I tend to think of "epic faliure" in terms of FFXIV. I know that Tera in Korea and Japan wasn't a smashing success but the game continues to have a playerbase and prosper. It has yet to be seen how it will fare in "the west" but I have hopes it will subsist with a good comminity and a solid playerbase (solid =/= large persay)

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

lol?

eastern market =/= western market

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Part of the problem is what major changes are they planning? Can the company even come up with a 10 or 20 top list showing what drastic changes they have made or will make in the near future? I hope when the "westernization" is done, it is much more than just A. Look we translated all the text to English with references to hamburgers and the latest Hollywood star/movie so the NA people can enjoy. B. We altered the cute race because it makes the game look less "Happy Bear" friendly. Are they going to improve on the RNG among other things?

Yeah it isn't doing so hot in South Korea. They started with 37 servers and went down to 35 and eventually merged again down to 15. So it is a pretty big drop. As far as NHN Japan TERA they started with 10 servers and will be doing a massive server merge come January 25th going down to only 3. One of the main reasons is that they cannot control the rampant botting. The other reason was NHN Japan unable to provide its customers with sufficient content. Updates generally were months behind K-TERA (although I don't think all of them) and top that with the subscription fee, that while it is usually more expensive in Japan, was still roughly 1.5-2 times higher than its MMO counterparts. Consider this, TERA Japan is doing worse than Final Fantasy XIV. FFXIV has around 10k log ins during JP evening hours while J-TERA only has about 7500. Hence why they are merging to 3 servers, 2500 per. And the sad fact that Frogster is handling the game for Europeans, well that was a wonderful choice indeed. So that leaves NA, 1 out of the 4 regions that "may" potentially do well. And considering that half the team from En Masse were from NCWest... well I would tread cautiously. I am still playing the game day 1, but if they handle the game like they did Aion, then I am sorry but I am taking my Elin parachute and jumping around the 3-6 month mark. I mean sure one can throw a blanket statement of well I don't care what happens to those 5th world countries, but guess who runs the show behind:

NHN Japan
    Frogster Interactive Pictures
    En Masse Entertainment

That would be NCsoft. Don't get me wrong there were some major things that were improved on over Aion (at least these were some of the major complaints at the time). 1. PVE servers for the west. 2. Not as much as a grind as Aion was initially. 3. You can level up via quests than just solely grinding, something you ran out of in Aion around level 35 back in the day. On top of that the graphics are better and for some of you guys I guess the females are hotter as well. Some people really don't care about whether the game does well in the long run and is able to come out with expansions etc. I think a good bunch just wants to play the hot little ass they see on the screen for a few months, show off their E-peeness on the BG forums of "look at me I got a +69 item" and move on to Blade & Soul or Archeage or whatever next "hyped" up game comes along . But if the game fails in all 4 regions, then chances are the longevity of the game will be cut prematurely.

En Masse was held accountable for the paying customers in South Korea? That is wonderful news. Is TERA Online made up of a series of tubes? Bunch of fucking clowns. I might as well go one step further. If this game fails and has a massive server merge within a year, and these "professionals" from En Masse all of a sudden jump ship and create yet another company and team up yet again with NCSoft I hope and pray it isn't Blade & Soul. Hope and pray. Pray and hope. If for some miraculous reason NCSoft fails to maintain the numbers needed to make TERA and Blade & Soul successful (as a global P2P product) and eventually gut those games into F2P cash shops... whether through ignorance/arrogance/incompetence/wrong decisions/delayed decisions then chances are the company will evolve from NC-soon to NC-never. Disclaimer: Evolving your pet from NC-soon to NC-never will bring forth new wonderful abilities unbeknownst to mankind.

Leave it to publishers to fuck up a perfectly good game. That's the games industry in a nutshell.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

lol

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Why, exactly, did it flop so hard in S.Korea and Japan. S.Koreans will play ANYTHING with massive tits and cleavage, so why..?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

@Ambrosia: I won't take the time to list all the things EME claims to have changed/altered/improved upon from K-Tera but I know it’s more than just simple translation and the mild censoring of the Elin. Having been part of previous tests I have seen changes and new things implemented based what I believe partly to be from feedback given. It’s hard for me to say just what the complete working relationship between EME and BHS is because it really sounds like the game was made with a western audience, at least in part, in mind early on in development.

Anyway, I hear a lot of your concerns coming into this game and about its future and I don't think they are entirely unfounded. On a personal note, this is sort of the 1 shot I am taking into the "Korean MMO" market. I have enjoyed Tera immensely and hope to continue to do so. However should it become a massive train wreck you can bet I will not give my time to any sort of branch or remnant of EME or NC West or whatever those people choose to rename themselves again. A lot can be said about the people/company that actually manages a game.

Still, a lot of it comes down to "to each his own". There are a lot of people on these forums who love and still play FFXIV despite it generally be considered a disaster. Those people aren't wrong and as long as the FFXIV servers are up and running they can enjoy their game. I want the same for Tera; for people who enjoy it to play it. Lord knows we have enough MMOs these days to pick from so it’s not like people have just "this or that". I think that in part creates more of a floater gaming base that moves from one MMO to the next sooner than they did like 5+ years ago.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by FriskUni View Post
    lol?

eastern market =/= western market
    Even more of a reason to assume that the game is going to flop even harder here. At least S.Korea has seen some success in the recent years unlike West stuck in 2005.

Why, exactly, did it flop so hard in S.Korea and Japan. S.Koreans will play ANYTHING with massive tits and cleavage, so why..?
    Indeed. I don't see publishers being at fault, they seemed to have the ball from what I saw.