Mug'thol

Another one for elin?

Color me surprised.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Nep View Post
    I went back for a bit not for Ninja but because I enjoy the combat of the game. Always play Mystic. Saw dungeons are solo/duoaoble. That's..lame. BAMs are a joke. Also lame.

Not finding too many things that I enjoy about the game anymore. Had a bit of interest in farming gold to buy vanity shit but never had any grasp on what appears to be an incredibly convoluted itemization.
    Changing the dynamics of BAMs was one of the biggest hits to this game for me. Having to group to fight BAMs was part of what made people get together in this game- whether randomly, with a guild or friends. When that all changed it made world adventuring a complete joke.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I think BAMs are what killed it. I enjoyed challenging them with a couple people and it actually being worthwhile/fun.

Oh well. I might make it to 65. I passed a dungeon up and was left wondering why these things are suddenly optional. Left it at 62 for now. I don't fancy just grinding trash and that seems to the most of it since they've added this vanguard mission jibber-jabber.

BAMs "worked" at their peak, but you can definitely bet their reduction was a result of people that came after not having the same available party pool to work with. Given the large number of quests that do require BAM kills while leveling, it seems like a bit of a no-brainer to me. Same for dungeons, too. Still, it's not like they can't kill you. Still have to lean their behaviors and how to counter them based on your class with the actual kills still taking a bit of time relative to fodder.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

TERA in general was designed around having a fairly large, vibrant player population. And it did for quite a while, close to a year probably. The game was fantastic when it did.

One could say all MMOs try to strive for that, but the inevitability is the longer one is up, the more top-heavy the endgame population will get, especially outside of the mega-server model. I mean, imagine a new player getting into XI now without Trusts, GoV/FoV, RoE, and EXP tweaks. Think they'd find a dunes party? Doubt it.

Part of this is the direct result of the prevalent philosophy that "the game begins at endgame" you see in a lot of these games. So, yeah, the leveling process is often the first sacrificed, even if not immediately.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Part of this is the direct result of the prevalent philosophy that "the game begins at endgame" you see in a lot of these games. So, yeah, the leveling process is often the first sacrificed, even if not immediately.
    Both the devs and players themselves are guilty of perpetuating this. Players need to get the fuck out of that mindset and devs need to introduce another game that defies this logic. The most recent game I can think of is GW2, where you could realistically contribute to whatever you basically wanted at any level range.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

*cough*blackdesert*cough*

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

BAMs "worked" at their peak, but you can definitely bet their reduction was a result of people that came after not having the same available party pool to work with. Given the large number of quests that do require BAM kills while leveling, it seems like a bit of a no-brainer to me. Same for dungeons, too. Still, it's not like they can't kill you. Still have to lean their behaviors and how to counter them based on your class with the actual kills still taking a bit of time relative to fodder.
    Even at its peak, unless you had a set group to roll with, everyone passed up the BAMS because it was faster to blitz the regular quests then find a group, learn the BAM, and get it done. When you did have a group that knew what they were doing, it was the finest combat an MMO has ever had, in my experience. The only drag was the animation lock, and that became a problem on more complex boss behaviors, where you couldn't predict what it would do, and did your wind up for you big spell, and it turns and smacks you during animation lock.

Going to console is a good idea because the game was butter, on PC, with a controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Both the devs and players themselves are guilty of perpetuating this. Players need to get the fuck out of that mindset and devs need to introduce another game that defies this logic. The most recent game I can think of is GW2, where you could realistically contribute to whatever you basically wanted at any level range.
    Eh, GW2 still required you to level up for PvE, and while you did get scaled in PvP, you were still a terrible gimplet to a natural 80. I actually think part of the problem is levels in the traditional sense. I'd be curious to see a game eliminate those and instead shift power to a sensible gear progression and skill growth/morphing. Yeah, the latter is technically EXP with a different coat of paint, but with the right dash of diminishing returns and potential limitations, someone who hasn't done as much grinding could and should still be able to be competitive. I'd also like to see the concept of classes abolished in this process, instead leaving it to what skills/gear you choose to take up over time. Would avoid the whole alt bullshit that even XIV fell prey to thanks to their asinine lockout philosophy.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

and while you did get scaled in PvP, you were still a terrible gimplet to a natural 80.
    ?

Unless you're talking solely about WvW your PvE level and gear had no bearing on PvP at all, and WvW is all about group play where being a lower effective level than 80 meant little if you played smart.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    ?

Unless you're talking solely about WvW your PvE level and gear had no bearing on PvP at all, and WvW is all about group play where being a lower effective level than 80 meant little if you played smart.
    Sure, but at least for WvW, there's a noticeable difference between even fresh 80 and geared out 80, from what I recall, and I'd be willing to wager that's the most PvP experience most people had with GW2. Even in a big group, you'd die faster to splash damage and contribute less over-all. If you did get into a 1v1 or a guard, you'd get crushed; rock/paper/scissors not withstanding.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Yeah, a fresh 80 was weaker than a geared one, but they could still contribute. They could still guard caravans or at least act as a scout in a tower or fort. They had some purpose, and be very useful when you just needed outright numbers to scare people off.

Scaled ups didn't have the skill points for additional abilities/traits, either.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I always thought that was fair, though, about the skillups. It felt like a good way to separate those who hit the cap vs. those who had not, while still not invaliadating those who had not. They were weaker and less skilled, but not in "one shot by any of my moves will outright kill you" means.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

After 10 years, it looks like Bluehole is finally shutting Tera down. The Korean servers, and the Western servers are sunsetting in June.

Tera was never perfect but it was a good game in its prime. It blows my mind how they could get so much wrong and utterly destroy the game like they have. It seems every patch just drove more and more people away.

https://gameforge.com/en-GB/play/ter...d-a83f186067f8

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Didn't see the above post until the other day, so I decided to redownload it on PS just to mess around a bit with my Murder Loli™ (Reaper) before servers went down. Ended up finding out that my characters were deleted when they merged with GameForge.

Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to never work in gaming again.