+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 207 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Relic Horn
    BG Level

TERA Online - General Information and Discussion (May 1, 2012)

Been getting a few PMs about game mechanics and shit like that so figured I would make a general topic here to discuss anything you guys need to know before this launches.

Keep the flaming to a minimum except when talking about Frisko.

Ask anything, and happy discussion.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

How is the grind? I jumped into Aion back then without realizing the grind and got out quickly.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Odd question – do players get favoured for their race for specific classes?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arista Flora
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    How is the grind? I jumped into Aion back then without realizing the grind and got out quickly.
    It's MUCH less than Aion. I have one lv58, one lv51 and a bunch at high 30s, and excluding 51-58 (maybe Im getting old), it was all a breeze and actually fun.
    You don't feel a gind because you're actually interacting with the mob/game.

Quote Originally Posted by Naito View Post
    Odd question – do players get favoured for their race for specific classes?
    Generally no.
    There have been rumors/talk about Aman having a longer ranger (inc taunt/heal circles) for being a big race, but I tried to test that briefly and didn't find a difference between it and any other races.
    Elin/Popori healers are favored in PVP, because usually healers are the 1st target and being hard to hit is a bonus. Also Castanics are favored as DPS classes for having a rasical passive that gives them +1% crit rate from the back.
    But again generally speaking, if you show up to an instance group or elite grinding or w/e, no will give two shits what race you are.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Thanks Cloudius.

I have a more practical one – how many instances are there? Can you obtain specific armor sets farming them?

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudius View Post
    It's MUCH less than Aion. I have one lv58, one lv51 and a bunch at high 30s, and excluding 51-58 (maybe Im getting old), it was all a breeze and actually fun.
    You don't feel a gind because you're actually interacting with the mob/game.
    If you can casually get to the cap with no problems then that's fine. I just don't want to waste hours just to level up once or twice because of the xp amount.

TSB

If you can casually get to the cap with no problems then that's fine. I just don't want to waste hours just to level up once or twice because of the xp amount.
    Yup, it's been said that you can reach max level through quests/storyline quests alone.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arista Flora
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Thanks Cloudius.

I have a more practical one – how many instances are there? Can you obtain specific armor sets farming them?
    There are 9 instances for leveling/gear drops at lv20/26/37/41/48/50/53/58/58.
    Generally speaking, the side bosses in an instance drop non-enchantable sets, and the last boss drops enchantable armor/weapons which are higher in grade/quality (e.g if the instance set is blue the last boss drops golds)
    I've talked about instance loot table in the other thread if you want to check it out.
    http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/839...=1#post4605454
    Nah man I played Aion too, this is much easier. It takes a days work to get lv20-22, about two weeks to hit 50, and another week to hit 58. 3 weeks to cap.

You'll spend hours on the higher lvls, sure, but never days like Aion.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Not sure if this has been answered, so forgive my ignorance. I seem to understand somewhat the instance system for drops, but are these instances seperate from what I've seen mentioned as "Campaign"? Would "Campaign" fights be comparable to missions or some such? If so, are these missions for the purpose of raising a "rank" or "standing" of some sort, or do they also offer gear/other perks?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

There are 9 instances for leveling/gear drops at lv20/26/37/41/48/50/53/58/58.
    Generally speaking, the side bosses in an instance drop non-enchantable sets, and the last boss drops enchantable armor/weapons which are higher in grade/quality (e.g if the instance set is blue the last boss drops golds)
    I've talked about instance loot table in the other thread if you want to check it out.
    http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/839...=1#post4605454
    Thanks for the comprehensive explanation Cloudious. I think I got it but not completely sure: gold items compare to purple/epic gear right? Or are they a higher tier?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arista Flora
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Uryuu View Post
    Not sure if this has been answered, so forgive my ignorance. I seem to understand somewhat the instance system for drops, but are these instances seperate from what I've seen mentioned as "Campaign"? Would "Campaign" fights be comparable to missions or some such? If so, are these missions for the purpose of raising a "rank" or "standing" of some sort, or do they also offer gear/other perks?
    Campaign is just another name for Missions or Storyline quests. They offer a lot of EXP and good gear, no rank or standing though. Also progressing through your campaigns gives you access to the instances.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arista Flora
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation Cloudious. I think I got it but not completely sure: gold items compare to purple/epic gear right? Or are they a higher tier?
    Not sure what purple/epic means I didn't play wow :3 but yea gold is the highest tier (white->green->blue->gold).

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Not sure what purple/epic means I didn't play wow :3 but yea gold is the highest tier (white->green->blue->gold).
    Purple is the epic tier in wow (white->green->blue->purple->orange), same tier as gold in TERA =)

Like he said it's also gold from side bosses/campaign that you can't enchant and the ones from main dungeon bosses that you can

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Luxury golds are the highest tier in the game now. This is the +1 of TERA.

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Games look pretty nice, I hadn't noticed it until it became a sub forum. I signed up for the beta, so when do invites usually go out?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Nothing announced. Both the beta and release dates are gonna be announced at the same time. Expect an Aug/Sept beta with a Sept/Oct release.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

What was/is the most enjoyable part of your playtime on TERA? Just curious =)

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Dungeons every time I hit cap. I like the way dungeons are on a 3HR cooldown, and have 2 different modes.

Doing 14 hrs sessions 6 days in a row to hit 58 with my static was also hella fun. I haven't had as much fun grinding in a game as I've had so far in TERA. It's actually unbelievable. Not only that, but they made healers and tanks ridiculously fun to play.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Doing heroic mode you also get better loot right?