+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to pitch a script     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Oh, and one more thing. If you do write a script, and have people read it (whether they know what the fuck or not), and ask for feedback, LISTEN TO WHAT THEY SAY and set your ego aside. One of the hardest parts for people just starting out in most art forms is not knowing how to process criticism correctly. Embracing criticism is one of the most important things a good writer can do.

If you actually write it and want someone to tear it apart, I promise I'll read the first 10 pages in the future and give you notes. If I actually want to get past 10 pages, I'll be impressed.

Spoiler: show
    I'm not trying to shit on you because you are "Milkster on BG" - I'm shitting on you because you are "random casual who wants to write a screenplay". Don't take it personally.

BG Level

Also, you don't really get to "pitch" scripts usually. Usually you submit completed and rewritten ad-nauseum scripts through a manager or agent or connection (whether they are your manager or agent is irrelevant - you won't have one) and you hope that some agent or executive's low-level assistant chooses to take it home over the weekend in a pile with another 10 scripts they are writing "coverage" on (a 2-page book report basically) and you hope they A) read past the first 10 pages and B) like it and think it is something their boss will want to recommend.

"Pitch meetings" are generally for pros.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Derock View Post
    Casuals getting you down?
    Pretty much. It's akin to (pardon my circa-2008 anachronistic reference) a person who hasn't unlocked PLD or NIN saying "How do I tank Khimaira?"

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

One of the best experiences I ever had in school was a workshop where we listened to five people talk about our stories for an hour without being able to say anything. One of the worst experiences I ever had was along those lines too. As long as it doesn't get personal it's a great experience.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Be familiar with your story. You should be able to sum it up in a few lines (like you see on the back of a book or video case). You need to have something in the first few pages to catch somebodies attention. With the sheer number of writings that some places receive, they will find any reason to stop and toss it in the trash. Boredom and not following the accepted format are great ways to make sure nobody will read it. When it comes to writing for a screenplay, I think the rule of thumb is about 1 page = 1 minute of screentime, so don't go cranking out 500 pages.

Biggest pet peeve when I read stuff other people wrote in classes and workshops. Do not waste time explaining how a character feels or what they are thinking. If you can't see it on the screen, it doesn't belong in the script. And leave the camera directions to the director. They don't want you talking about zooming in here, panning across that, close ups on something else. Typically, you'll put a fade in at the start, cut to: when changing locations, and a fade out at the end.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I'm sure there's a "Screenwriting for Dummies" book that would be useful. Not that you're a dummy, but those books tend to be a good place to start if you only have a rough inkling on how to get started on some activity/endeavor.

How I pitch scripts: roll them up, fire them off sidearm, paperboy-style.

Another Islam Thread
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Trichocyst View Post
    ...being friendly, making the right contacts, networking...
    Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    I know many of these people, both developers and screenwriters.
    /thread?