View Poll Results: Should recording the police be illegal?

Voters
211. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it interferes with police work.

8 3.79%
  • No, it's a bulwark against police misconduct.

197 93.36%
  • I'm not sure.

6 2.84%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Kids will still get it regardless. Tobacco and Liquor are illegal for minors to buy and they still get it easily enough. What makes you think Marijuana is going to be any different for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Acevalefor View Post
    How? The intent is to make the cop look bad and profit off of it. It's called slander and is already illegal. Even if you remove the profit part.
    If it's already illegal to spin a false story out of a selectively-edited film, then we don't need need laws that prohibit filming public events, now do we?

You should probably learn what slander actually is though before you go throwing that word around.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    there's no point in trying to claim that you know what's going to happen to drug use in the states if you decriminalize.
    We shouldn't legalize/decriminalize because we can't look at the reality of other countries who did? that's a silly point so i must be straw-manning you but i dont see how. Is it controversial to say "drug abuse, and associated crimes go down when leg/decrim" ? i thought we have several countries who've done this by now all with positive results, no links to prove this however as its friday and im lazy.

also some approximations will hold up better than others based on whatever stats you want to look at

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Kids will still get it regardless. Tobacco and Liquor are illegal for minors to buy and they still get it easily enough. What makes you think Marijuana is going to be any different for them?
    Marijuana? It won't be. Kids will get it approximately as easily as they do right now. However people will be far less likely to sell heroine, meth, etc to kids, than they would a harmless drug like marijuana. A major problem with tobacco and alcohol is that many people seem to think they are relatively safe, even though they aren't. Because of this, adults are far more likely to sell/give it to children, or just leave it around where a kid could steal it. Also, because less people think it is ok to use heroine, it would be harder to find a friend who would be willing to supply it. That means most kids would need to get themself a fake id to buy it, which adds yet another barrier to buying it that does not exist now.

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    Marijuana? It won't be. Kids will get it approximately as easily as they do right now. However people will be far less likely to sell heroine, meth, etc to kids, than they would a harmless drug like marijuana. A major problem with tobacco and alcohol is that many people seem to think they are relatively safe, even though they aren't. Because of this, adults are far more likely to sell/give it to children, or just leave it around where a kid could steal it. Also, because less people think it is ok to use heroine, it would be harder to find a friend who would be willing to supply it. That means most kids would need to get themself a fake id to buy it, which adds yet another barrier to buying it that does not exist now.
    Well to be honest that is the best mentality to have, that is leave it around the kids like it is nothing. If you hide it and make it such a super awesome secret then kids develop complexes and want to try it because it is the "forbidden fruit". Or when they become older they develop binge drinking problems. My parents and all of my family members always exposed us to smoking and drinking early ( I think my parents let me try a sip or two beer when I was 3?(and i hated the taste of it obviously because I was a kid) and then later on in life when I was around 12ish they would let me have a cup or so once a month at dinner and I never really cared to try it more than the occasional I want to feel cool. Literally all of my family members had the same mentality because they prefer we'd be exposed to drinking in the family environment that they can control some of the variables than outside where they can't.

I'm pretty sure you could integrate the same concept into weed(I'm sure people have tbh) but few would accept it at this point in time since weed is illegal.

I will say though that weed is more damaging to one's lungs than I thought it was. I stopped smoking after about a year of heavy smoking and I've been coughing up black tar for about a month. I never touched cigarettes or cigars.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    ROFL, half the time the kids themselves don't even buy it. They get some schmuk off the street, give him 10 bucks, say buy a pack of smokes and keep the change. The other half will either have fake id's or just ask and see if they get lucky. The agency I work for does bi-monthly alcohol and tobacco stings, usually hitting 30-40 bars/resteraunts/gas stations, and typically 10-15% of them will get nailed for selling to minors.

Also, while I can see Marijuana getting legalized in the next 5-10 years, I highly doubt something as destructive on the body as Heroin, PCP, Meth, etc EVER be legalized. You won't die from your first beer or cig, but you have an awesome shot of dying from your first accidental drug overdose. Also, poll any smoker or drinker. The vast majority of them know it's not safe. I smoke Cigars and drink at party's, and know it's not healthy for me and i'm at a higher risk of cancer/liver failure/lupus etc. but if my kids are under 18, they won't be smoking in my house. I may allow a small amount of beer at home under my supervision but that would be the limit, and they will know the risks involved with both of those and a lot of parents are the same way.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    They get some schmuk off the street, give him 10 bucks, say buy a pack of smokes and keep the change.
    Where do you live? :D

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Honestly from reading all this, I have to say people who support the legalization of hard drugs and make it blatantly obvious that they don't care if kids do it are probably users themselves and have either been popped for it and are pissed, or they're hippies who love rainbows and believe in unicorns and sunshine. Im gonna hold my fingers on this and go back to the topic.

When I get home there was an article I read about the Department of Transportation. People on the sidewalk who take pictures of that building have been getting stopped by the federal police guarding that building and arrested for taking pictures. I shit you not, you take a picture of that building and someone will be along to lock you up shortly after. One of the guys who got arrested is suing (he's a licensed photographer). We'll see how it goes when the case hits the Supreme Court.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Well to be honest that is the best mentality to have, that is leave it around the kids like it is nothing. If you hide it and make it such a super awesome secret then kids develop complexes and want to try it because it is the "forbidden fruit". Or when they become older they develop binge drinking problems. My parents and all of my family members always exposed us to smoking and drinking early ( I think my parents let me try a sip or two beer when I was 3?(and i hated the taste of it obviously because I was a kid) and then later on in life when I was around 12ish they would let me have a cup or so once a month at dinner and I never really cared to try it more than the occasional I want to feel cool. Literally all of my family members had the same mentality because they prefer we'd be exposed to drinking in the family environment that they can control some of the variables than outside where they can't.
    In general, this is true. That is one of the reasons why legalization can actually lower usage. However it does not work for everyone, and can be disastrous for some.

ROFL, half the time the kids themselves don't even buy it. They get some schmuk off the street, give him 10 bucks, say buy a pack of smokes and keep the change. The other half will either have fake id's or just ask and see if they get lucky. The agency I work for does bi-monthly alcohol and tobacco stings, usually hitting 30-40 bars/resteraunts/gas stations, and typically 10-15% of them will get nailed for selling to minors.
    Make selling to minors a felony. That number would go down real quick.

Also, while I can see Marijuana getting legalized in the next 5-10 years, I highly doubt something as destructive on the body as Heroin, PCP, Meth, etc EVER be legalized. You won't die from your first beer or cig, but you have an awesome shot of dying from your first accidental drug overdose.
    And you have an awesome shot at dying from your first sky diving accident too. Should that be illegal? If them being dangerous is a valid reason for them being illegal, please explain why things that are far more dangerous are legal? Examples being tobacco, alcohol, coal burning power plants, etc, etc. There are countless things that are far more dangerous than some and/or all illegal recreational drugs, yet they are still legal. If being dangerous is the only requirement to outlaw something, then why is this so?

Honestly from reading all this, I have to say people who support the legalization of hard drugs and make it blatantly obvious that they don't care if kids do it are probably users themselves and have either been popped for it and are pissed, or they're hippies who love rainbows and believe in unicorns and sunshine. Im gonna hold my fingers on this and go back to the topic.
    I've never so much as smoked a cigarette. I support the legalization of recreational drugs because their prohibition does far more harm than the drugs themselves.

And seriously, read this. I'm not some crazy who just came up with a ridiculous idea. There are numerous respected people who have spent years researching the topic, who have came to the same conclusion as me.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Good article. Gonna take a look at the book too as its spiked my curiosity. The only thing I have a gripe about is a lot of these ideas are just that: ideas. No mention of how to put these in to action. Its definately not something you can just say "ok let's do it." It'll take at least another 50 years before all the people who are current offenders to clear out/die out and the people who are addicted to reform. This is definitely interesting though. Till it happens im gonna keep fighting to keep the streets safe and hit hard.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Yea hey, like your random Joe blow is going to get caught anyways.

Correction, I lve in the bay area. Pack of smokes now is like 6-8 dollars out here now.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Nephlite View Post
    Its definately not something you can just say "ok let's do it."
    While i disagree, i do understand. It would obviously help to take the time to decide on the exact regulations, as well as how to deal with potential increased usage (education, treatment, etc). It also would not hurt to run temporary trials in limited areas, so proper research could be done, and we could prepare for any consequences we might not have anticipated.

Yea hey, like your random Joe blow is going to get caught anyways.
    Referring to kids asking random people on the street to buy them for them? No, obviously they won't get caught, but those that work in stores and don't bother checking for ID will.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Those guys who fuck up usually get fired since that will cost you your liquor license for 6+ months, and when you run a gas station, your money comes from cigs/liquor. Lose them for 6 months is a huge penalty.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I voted not sure without really thinking, but even a couple of seconds of thought makes me realize that this is insane to think anyone at all believes it should be illegal.

If they're doing their job correctly, then they have nothing to worry about.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Imma come film my good friend jmc on the job

3vo

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Seanr View Post
    Imma come film my good friend jmc on the job

3vo
    Knock yourself out, I sit at a desk all day currently.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I don't see the problem with recording what is happening. As stated before, the police even record themselves. If everybody is allowed to record police activities and there isn't a clip taken out of context, one of two things will happen:

A) Police action would be vindicated as you would be able to see clearly they were in the right,

or

B) We at least get several angles of kids holding game controllers, men holding various objects (car keys, chalupas, etc), or 90-something year old grannies getting shot up, all of which makes for great entertainment on the interwebs.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Edit: I only hit the button once damnit!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I don't think it should be illegal, but I don't blame them for trying. I know I wouldn't want anyone filming me doing my job just so if I do mess up they can show everyone. This especially goes for police officers. I don't think they're all perfect, and I've talked to a bunch of good and bad cops, but it seems like most people hate the police just because they're the police. If I saw some cops beating a guy down and I had a camera, I would prolly film it. It could either turn out he was armed and dangerous, or the cops felt like beating someone down. If it was just a cop yelling at people, I couldn't care less but I bet idiots would be filming it and provoking him.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Kinda late to the party here but no I do not think that it should be illegal just because they themselves have cameras in their squad cars to record traffic stops. On top of that I'm a firm believer in power corrupting those who have it and from what I've seen it's always the case with cops eventually. Even the ones who start the academy with good intentions eventually come to abuse almost every law they have on their side. I honestly want to believe that there are still good cops out there but the more I live the less I believe it.

Food for Thought (Sorry if already posted earlier): http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/06/29/37770.htm