View Poll Results: Should recording the police be illegal?

Voters
211. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it interferes with police work.

8 3.79%
  • No, it's a bulwark against police misconduct.

197 93.36%
  • I'm not sure.

6 2.84%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by Melena
    Thing is Dalek, you can't help an addict unless they want help. My brother was on drugs pretty much all through highschool, fucked his life up good, and wasn't till he was 23 and rock bottom before he got himself straightened out, got married, and went into the army. But this turn around didn't come from jail, rehab, counseling, etc. He had to do it on his own, and that's pretty much the same with all other addicts.
    I understand this to be true, after having known a lot of friends who struggle to put down their vices. It's not always easy to get there but it sure helps to have support behind you. Just watch a few episodes of Intervention. Though the stories may be different they're really all going through the same process.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Anyway, has anyone seen being people arrested for recording the police on tv news? If there's concensus that people shouldn't be arrested over it, i'd think there'd be outrage over it and therefore the news would cover it.
    The scary part is that the news DOESN'T cover it for some reason. I don't ever remember seeing that BART officer story on TV(the one where they shot the restrained guy in the back), and I'm sure there are countless others. To use the recent Caylee anthony media storm as an example, how many kids/teens go missing or are killed and no one ever hears about it? Expecially when you're talking about areas where you really could die over a pair of shoes or something stupid and it happens everyday. I don't see a story with 3-year overwhelming media coverage every time some kid in the hood gets killed. Fox news is just one example of a media outlet with very selective storytelling.

People might say oh "libruhl media bias" but really these stories need to be told because they keep society honest. I'm baffled that people even consider debating on whether or not surveilling the police should be okay because - newsflash - they've been running around with dashboard cameras, listening to your phone calls, tracking your internet activity, and building data on EVERYONE whether you believe it or not.. for a long time now thanks to the Patriot Act. We're seeing deeper and deeper shades of 1984(Orwell's) everyday.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Really it kinda seems like a lot of media attention has come to light about police misconduct because simply people just don't know a lot about it. Once it comes to the light and people pay attention, ratings go up, news stations see the interest, and therefore they go after it like flies on stink. A lot of times the media will portray only half the story that seems bad (such as the seattle officer who punched a woman in the face because her friend wasn't cooperating with the officer and the news headlines were" officer punches woman in face over a jaywalking ticket"). Ask any cop if the guy was justified and they'll say of course. People don't realize a lot of use of force policies have the motto "what would you do under similar circumstances?" Put yourself in the cops shoes and think reasonably what you would do in their position.

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Nephlite View Post
    think reasonably
    lol @ asking people to think reasonably, especially about the police.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

This. People have such a fuck the police mentality. That and bad news sells. For every bad cop you hear on the news, you got hundreds of others going beyond there duty with no recognition in the news.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgarrell View Post
    Knock yourself out, I sit at a desk all day currently.
    It's gonna be a reality show.. day in the life of JMC.. can you yell at some people for me?

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Seanr View Post
    It's gonna be a reality show.. day in the life of JMC.. can you yell at some people for me?
    He can probably get you an interview with his buddy who tasered a fan at Fenway last month.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Seanr View Post
    Ok that can work. I seem to want to yell at dumb people every 20 minutes at this position i'm at.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I'd say a good 50-60% of the time I was on patrol was spent yelling at people. I can't even remember the last time I wrote an honest to goodness citation without it first being me screaming at whoever for doing something stupid. My favorite was the smokin' hot college girl who jumped her car in to opposing lanes of traffic and smashed in to a car coming the opposite way head on. Her excuse? "Oh we do this all the time in Jersey." Fuck you hot bitches that come outta there.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

I'd say a good 50-60% of the time I was on patrol was spent yelling at people. I can't even remember the last time I wrote an honest to goodness citation without it first being me screaming at whoever for doing something stupid. My favorite was the smokin' hot college girl who jumped her car in to opposing lanes of traffic and smashed in to a car coming the opposite way head on. Her excuse? "Oh we do this all the time in Jersey." Fuck you hot bitches that come outta there.
    The last one the really set me off the wall, was a guy called 911 saying his neighbors house was being broken into..... 2 hispanic males, 1 black female with no clothing descriptions. Fly down to the house, and turns out there is no B&E, he just wanted the cops to take care of his neighbors annoying barking dog.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I've never once seen someone do that in nj (or anywhere else for that matter). Wtf, lol.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

So, Delaware doesn't have a driving test of any kind . . . and we still fear Jersey drivers. You're parked in at the mall? You're almost forced into a guard rail on I-95? Guess they do it all the time in Jersey.

Anyway, mildly relevant to the pot discussion at least: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,1346255.story
    It's kind of silly to have the agency that benefits the most from continuing the drug war deciding how something should be classified. By the way, if you ever get the chance to call the DEA I really recommend it. They have a pretty hilarious automated phone system.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8