+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Last Space Shuttle Launch     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Because flying a handful of people around the earth and moon isn't going to find much anything new or interesting and it's excruciatingly expensive.
    The thing is, NASA wants to go to Mars, but before they can even think about that, they really should think about going back to the moon and using that as a stepping stone and preparations for the 6 month journey to Mars. Everything we would need to test for Mars can be done on the moon and also possibly set up an underground base on the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    I understand that and know thats mostly the reason for ending the space shuttle program.. but while they ended the shuttle program they also got their budget axed so there is very little for them to work with in terms of funding a new deep space vehicle. They also lost funding for the James Webb Space Telescope. ;/
    I am not sure if it's final but it does make me angry. The telescope is way behind schedule and at around 4x the projected cost. What is really upsetting is that they plan to end Hubble in 2014 (ditching it into the ocean) which means if they don't extend hubble for another few years, we will have to go 3-5 years without a space telescope.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

After the launch and lunch, I went with a few coworkers to building 9 to take some pictures of the mock-ups and trainers of the shuttle that JSC is losing to museums soon. Put one of the pics in the bucket, but I can't link to it.

I also got two phone calls asking what I was going to do now that NASA was shutting down today.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Time to legalize private ownership of resources acquired in space so that private industry can finally move us toward some of that sweet futurism.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    Time to legalize private ownership of resources acquired in space so that private industry can finally move us toward some of that sweet futurism.
    There's nothing really stopping a private corporation with enough funds and determination from going into the space business. Just set up shop in Vanuatu or someplace that businesses tend to go to be free of their native country's restrictions and taxation. Only obstacle at that point is convincing the world superpowers that your launch is aimed at space, not them.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

what pisses me off most about this, is that, time and time again, you can look back in history and see, when scientific endeavours were put at the forefront, not only did life become better for everyone, the economy flourished, people were happy, and so on and so on

so what do we do when the economy goes bad, throw all our money (or lack thereof) at the military and cut all scientific funding

gg mankind

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

They obviously found a Stargate so they decided they didn't need space shuttles anymore.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Surealistic View Post
    what pisses me off most about this, is that, time and time again, you can look back in history and see, when scientific endeavours were put at the forefront, not only did life become better for everyone, the economy flourished, people were happy, and so on and so on

so what do we do when the economy goes bad, throw all our money (or lack thereof) at the military and cut all scientific funding

gg mankind
    How do we know nothing positive wont come from the ending of the shuttle era? We will have to find less expensive ways to space travel and explore space. We might see better robots and other tech.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

well its not just the shuttle era, its everything, once bush got into office he started axing scientific spending left and right, and obama is following suit :/

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Surealistic View Post

gg mankind
    technically, war/military/empowering the nation has been responsible for a large amount of scientific findings and inventions that has "made life better". That may not have been the intended consequence, but it still has happened.
    And as far as shuttles in space and the space programs, I don't think they've found or learned all that much recently and we've probably already discovered most everything that will actually have any kind of important impact on us in the near future.
    Pictures of a 10billion year old star doesn't help anyone much.

And just to make this clear; I'd say military spending is the last thing we need. Just playing the devils advocate and arguing for the sake of arguing.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I have to admit, while I don't like cutting NASAs spending so drastically, imo I don't think sending astronauts into space is the best way to spend it. Send probes, build better telescopes, etc etc.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Unfortunately, sending humans up there has had drastically diminishing returns... ;/

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

I was actually going to make a thread this morning but someone beat me to it. I'm glad though sense other people care about this as much as I do. It makes me feel sad and nostalgic at the same time.

Here's something I just feel like sharing: When I was really young I saw one of the first shuttle launches. It mite have even been the first one. I would have to ask my mom I was really young. We were on a family vacation in Florida and my parents knew there was going to be one so on the way there they stopped on a highway near Cape Canaveral. A lot of other people had gathered there too. I remember it was really hot that day and I was uncomfortable and being a kid of course I was getting antsy. When it was time for the launch I remember my parents showing me where to look and it was pretty far away but you could see it really clearly, the shuttle, the launch pad and everything. When it took off I was just transfixed with it all. I never took my eyes off it. There were so many people there lining the the highway cheering. You could hear and even feel the crackle and rumble of the rockets. Everybody watched even after you could not even see it anymore and there was nothing but a white trail in the sky. The whole experience was amazing. After that I was hooked of course. We saw other shuttle launches and it started a interest in the shuttle program (I seriously considered trying to become a astronaut at one point) and anything space related that continues to this day. Sorry to make a long post but I wanted to tell that cause it was one of those events that defines your childhood and has shaped my mind.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    Yea, let private industry risk billions during a recession, where even the government doesn't want to keep spending.

Oh you people and your free market fetishes.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Take the metaphor in the beginning of this video and apply it to all of the space programs.

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by gardeffxi View Post
    After the launch and lunch, I went with a few coworkers to building 9 to take some pictures of the mock-ups and trainers of the shuttle that JSC is losing to museums soon. Put one of the pics in the bucket, but I can't link to it.

I also got two phone calls asking what I was going to do now that NASA was shutting down today.
    Spoiler'd for Xbawks size pic.

Spoiler: show

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Esvedium View Post
    Damn, I'm bummed that I missed it. =/
    This. If I knew this was the last one I would have driven down with my dad to see it at least once with my own eyes.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Just sucks mostly because we all looked into space as this great open world, that we dont really understand. Over the last 30 years that has changed and we have learned much.

Its history, and was as important(if not even more important) as any war we fought on the ground. I think the budget should of been looked over and money moved around, but never cut. It will be missed and I hope to see NASA's offspring in 10 years or so.

There was no reason to miss it by the way, both iphones and androids markets had a nasa app that had a live stream! I was at the gym so I got to see it with my adrenaline pumping already lol.