BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Last Space Shuttle Launch

Well, you missed it. It was pretty amazing to watch and they had some awesome camera angles for the launch.

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/135_splash/index.html

They are still tracking it but no live space picture at the moment.

I vote we build more of these things.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

If there is one thing that still fascinates me from childhood, it's watching a huge fucking rocket launch some people into space.

It's the end of an era but I hope to one day see that Mars mission happen.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I teared up ; ~;

Old Merits
    BG Level

was a great watch

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by solanis View Post
    I teared up ; ~;
    So did I, a little bit. I still remember watching the first one take off when I was like five years old..

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Last space shuttle launch? Like last manned for awhile? Last time we use that specific ship? I haven't kept up with any of this stuff so please enlighten me.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    So did I, a little bit. I still remember watching the first one take off when I was like five years old..
    for a long time I pursued my degree in astrophysics instead of finance. I wonder if we're the last generation that grew up thinking, "I could be an astronaut!"

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Last space shuttle launch? Like last manned for awhile? Last time we use that specific ship? I haven't kept up with any of this stuff so please enlighten me.
    All of the above.. the Shuttles are being retired from service, and at the moment there's no money to fund construction of a replacement spacecraft.

I imagine the French will be doing runs to the International Space Station now?

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Some appropriate music.. if you time it right to a replay of the launch it fits perfectly.

Kinda bummed it's raining here today, couldn't see the shuttle go up

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Saw Columbia land at Edwards a long long time ago at a predawn landing. Barely remember it since I was like 4.

All those promises about exploration when my school took a field trip to the Jet Propulsion Laboratories, back when the Mars Rover was all the craze. Hope the space program can get back and launch us farther than the moon sooner rather than never.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by solanis View Post
    I teared up ; ~;
    Guilty as well. It's a sad day for mankind imo. I really don't understand how people can be opposed to our space program... Is finding out what exactly is out there not that big a deal?

Apparently we'll be paying Russia for cab rides to the ISS. In the next 10 years we'll probably see China send people to the moon and place their flag where ours stands. In 20-30 I'd say the'll have landed on Mars. :/

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

When I was a kid, I used to visit NASA like once a month, and Ive probably seen space camp a billion times. Sad Day indeed, I tivo'd the launch so I can watch it with my daughter. I'll probably have to go on a man walk afterwards.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    All of the above.. the Shuttles are being retired from service, and at the moment there's no money to fund construction of a replacement spacecraft.

I imagine the French will be doing runs to the International Space Station now?
    The Russians will be sending supplies to the ISS over the next few years. It truly is a sad day, but in the end I can somewhat understand the decision. The initial design/program started in the 70's and the original idea was to build a shuttle that was cheap, safe, and make going into space so routine that it became boring. NASA also dreamed of having weekly launches but that never happened due to the cost. Each Shuttle was designed to last 10 years or 100 flights with Columbia and Challenger the oldest (Both lost in accidents) and Endeavor being the youngest (19 years). Atlantis has been around for 26 years while Discovery has been around for 27. These magnificent vessels are well past their prime even though they did not meet the 100 flight projection. It just really sucks because of the cancellation of the Constellation Program which I was excited about due to the fact that NASA was going back to the Saturn V type design rocket, though they were planning to use two different rockets: Ares I for crew and Ares V for payload.

In the end, I hope we can get back into space soon.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

More money for food stamps

If only it were that sort of trade off.

Insert witty title here
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Damn, I'm bummed that I missed it. =/

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Made a little tribute video.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    I really don't understand how people can be opposed to our space program... Is finding out what exactly is out there not that big a deal?
    Because flying a handful of people around the earth and moon isn't going to find much anything new or interesting and it's excruciatingly expensive.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Because flying a handful of people around the earth and moon isn't going to find much anything new or interesting and it's excruciatingly expensive.
    I understand that and know thats mostly the reason for ending the space shuttle program.. but while they ended the shuttle program they also got their budget axed so there is very little for them to work with in terms of funding a new deep space vehicle. They also lost funding for the James Webb Space Telescope. ;/

NASA's budget is less per year than air conditioning for troop's tents in Afghanistan. I'm all for tightening our belts and living within our means but you don't do that on the back of science and progress - least thats just how I feel.