+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Classes (jobs) in TERA     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Classes (jobs) in TERA

So yea, i'm looking for previews/impressions on all the classes in TERA to get an idea on what i'd like to try. For example, you guys can give a brief description on what its role is ina party and how it goes by accomplishing that role (like specific abilities), or whether the class is capable of solo play. It would also help a ton if you guys could say what kind of player might like what kind of class.

Thanks in advance!

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Fox's mini review:

Warrior - Hybrid tank/DPS. Not the best at either. Usually looked over in terms of both tanking and DPS.
    Lancer - Optimal tank. Taunt/block, a la neo PLD/WAR.
    Slayer - Jesus spawn class of TERA.
    Berserker - This is the spike class in TERA. With the right setup, you will be dropping more skills than actual melee.
    Archer - Another spike class, but obviously ranged with viable auto attack DPS. Has some CC.
    Sorcerer - Probably the absolute highest DPS in game, if not tied with Berserker. Has CC. High enmity - not so fresh.
    Priest - Yup.
    Mystic - Hybrid Priest with pets, more CC, and man orbs. Yum.

Classes in demand (1-10)

Lancer - 10
    Mystic - 8
    Priest - 8
    Slayer - 7
    Berserker - 7
    Archer - 6?
    Sorcerer - 6?
    Warrior - lol

All this based on PVE, before the Warrior balances that have been occurring.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

So warrior is loldragoon for now?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arista Flora
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
    All this based on PVP, before the Warrior balances that have been occurring.
    Based on PVP? Warrior is as good as lancer and slayers in group pvp, as all 3 of them play the roll of interrupters/stunners to annoy and keep the target still.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arista Flora
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It would also help you get a feel on the classes if you look up their abilities here and here.

I'll write how each class "functions" when I get motivated.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

So is Mystic less of a healer then a priest and more a hybrid dps?

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

ARROWS ARE HUGS!

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Mystic is a Disable/buffer/healer, The summons suck and are only fodder. They got two lock on type disables and with the best auras in the game make you a support focused hybrid.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Whoops. Meant PVE. All that based on PVE. : ((((((

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    Nah, no self heal without pet. No self AOE erase. Has to be casted on itself separately through pet. Mystic is amazing though. It's classified as the "hardest" class to master, so when there's a good Mystic, you can tell. The buffs and all are different as well, but they're both more than viable solo healers. Yay for 5 man PTs. : )

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Just to add about Warriors...

From everything I have read on the forums for the last several months, Warriors have the potential to be amazing tanks if used by a truly skilled player. This is because they allegedly have better hate control than Lancer (allowing DPS classes to go wild) and, if played well, can often avoid damage completely (due to an invincibility roll).

However, even with a highly skilled warrior, the downside is that the Warrior needs to move around a lot thus leading to the rest of the party needing to move around to avoid damage.

Like I said, this is what people on other forums say. Anyone who has actually played and disagrees with this can feel free to correct it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Pretty much. Think Hauby+1, Kikoku, Speed, ETC NIN. They can down things much faster but how it is right now, with the difficulty on these dungeons, I'll pass on a Warrior 100% of the time, if I had the option.

That applies to 5V5 10V10 BGs too. They're better at that, but I'll take my Berk. : (((((

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arista Flora
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    Mystic doesn't dps. While solo and especially lv1-20ish, sure, but in a group their dps is shit and drains them of mp fast. Plus you need to not engage to keep your self-mp-buff on.
    Think of their healing power as WHM(Priest) vs RDM(Mystic) Priest is far superior when it comes to big heals and aoe heals, but Mystic can easily main heal anything.

What sets them apart I think is their buffs; Priest has Resist/out of combat speed/Vit/Str/HOT 15min duration and can drop a circle that gives a HOT if you walk over it. Also they have a 10sec aoe shield, can remove kd, and I remember priests having a low duration attackspeed buff but cant seem to find it.
    Mystics has [Double crit rate/30% crit resist/10% movement speed/20mp every sec] all of them on a 20m range toggle-style buff (can only pick 2 and some of them conflict), and the mystic can drop HOT orbs or MP orbs that give about 700mp when picked up. They also have a 25sec duration ~10m range buff that gives 20 STR.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudius View Post
    Plus you need to not engage to keep your self-mp-buff on.
    Everyone makes this mistake. You can hit and keep regen on. You can't get knocked down and keep it though. Anyway, this is correct. Melee Mystic or Priest is like melee RDM. This should not happen. Not to mention you want to keep the running speed at it's max the entire time.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arista Flora
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
    Everyone makes this mistake. You can hit and keep regen on. You can't get knocked down and keep it though. Anyway, this is correct. Melee Mystic or Priest is like melee RDM. This should not happen. Not to mention you want to keep the running speed at it's max the entire time.
    Nono the Mystic/Sorc self mp buff is different than Priest. http://teracodex.com/database/skills.php?id=626
    If you get hit or use a combat skill you lose it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Just tested. You're right, it's different than my Priest's.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Welp, guess this might be the best thread for this link (again) http://www.nightside.fr/en/guides.html

This page is an 'interative' skill list for all classes. As you slide the bar along it shows you what skills you get at what level etc, along with descriptions. Skills are not a "tree" based system, the makers of this simply split them up into groups for visuals.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arista Flora
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Priest vs Mystic part 2: Defensive skills and Debuffs!

Not sure who takes the cake as they are pretty different.
    The Priest has an enmity dump to lose aggro, it has the ability to self heal and remove debuff from it's self, and a +10 out of combat speed buff.
    Also priests have an ability that does damage/snare and shots the priest ~7m to the back, Im not sure if this counts as an evasive skill (don't take dmg during the animation) or just moves them out of harms away.
    The mystic can't self heal/remove debuffs or enmity dump. For that you need to relay on your healing pet and HOT orbs that you already laid around. However mystics get a ~14m forward teleport skill (which you can glyph to have 25% 0cd)
    and a tank pet that can help keep aggro off with a high kd rate. You can also use that pet as a los, works very well in PVP.

Both classes have a 30sec duration 35sec cd (Priest can glyph to lower this) lockon sleep making them the ideal CC classes, the only deference is priest can only sleep 1 target while mystic can sleep up to 2.
    Mystics have a an aoe that dispels buffs, they also have a lockon DOT that can go up to rank 3 if used multiple times doing higher dmg, a lockon 90% snare for 5sec, a slow bolt 50% snare for 5sec, a slow bolt that does a small aoe stun on contact (can't find the duration but I remember it can last a while), a lockon +20% cd debuff (4 targets, pvp only) and a lockon fear (4 targets).

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kupo View Post
    Just to add about Warriors...

From everything I have read on the forums for the last several months, Warriors have the potential to be amazing tanks if used by a truly skilled player. This is because they allegedly have better hate control than Lancer (allowing DPS classes to go wild) and, if played well, can often avoid damage completely (due to an invincibility roll).

However, even with a highly skilled warrior, the downside is that the Warrior needs to move around a lot thus leading to the rest of the party needing to move around to avoid damage.

Like I said, this is what people on other forums say. Anyone who has actually played and disagrees with this can feel free to correct it.

I played an warrior to 30ish, the biggest problem is that your only doge skill is on a 5 second cool down, alot of time i have to use doge to doge an attack that can only be avoided by using doge (lol), then the boss starts doing an move that i have to use doge to doge again (cant just walk out of it). Then I just sit there and get hit, sometime I try to use that 2 attack combo skill to try to doge if not negate the dmg so i dont get 1 shotted. But its still pretty hard to tank them bosses just cause of cooldown on doge.

Some times i feel warrior is kinda more dps focus then tanking, even tho zerks and slayers hit harder then warrior, but warriors can keep attacking for longer and their skills and high combo attack dmg kinda indicates to that.

EDIT: Also like to add that warriors is by far the most exhausting class to play, you have to constantly doge while hitting as much as you can, Also you have to face a certain way so when you attack your moving your character (most of warrior skills and combo attacks move them forward) so that your using your attacks to hopefully allow you to doge attacks while waiting for doge cool down (but its very frustrating cuz sometimes you seem to get "stuck" on mobs even tho your facing 90 degrees away from them)
    Tho if thats your cup of tea, it can be pretty fun.

LurkaKitty

I`m glad to see lancer high on the wanted list as it`s what I was planning on playing. My faith wavered a bit when I read somewhere that they suck balls and are just barely above warrior. Hope they stay decently wanted, not like pld in XI nowadays..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast