+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I help this bird?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

You think this is the real Dmitry?
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Can I help this bird?

This guy has been outside my office for a little while. He keeps chirping, and when I went out to my car and came back in, he opened his mouth like he was hungry, but when I tried to give him some water he just looked at me. I don't think he was close to our door before, but he seems to be trying to huddle up against the building. I went out but wasn't able to see a nest anywhere, although it looks like birds have been flying by our door since their is some shit on the ground under the little awning.

Is there anything I can do to help with limited office supplies available?

Pics in spoiler.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

It's a fledgling; leave it alone.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Most of the time even after birds leave the nest the parents will hang around and feed them. I've seen birds do that. You could watch from a distance to see if the parent feeds it. If not find some worms or beetles and smoosh em up heh.

You think this is the real Dmitry?
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I'll check on him later, hopefully his parents decide to stop being terrible cuz I'm gonna be going to bed when I get off. I just think it's odd that it'd be up all night like that, but I also don't know anything about birds.

Sun is up and the little bird is gone. I heard some other birds chirping so I'm hoping someone came and got him.

Ridill
    BG Level

Just whatever you do, if you see it again, don't touch it. If you get your smell on it, it's likely fucked unless it's completely ready to be on its own.

aduidarnenye

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    Just whatever you do, if you see it again, don't touch it. If you get your smell on it, it's likely fucked unless it's completely ready to be on its own.
    I've heard that is a complete myth and they won't actually abandon it because of that. Probably not a good idea to go about touching birds though, they harbour all kinds of nasty diseases.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Yeah gonna say it's a myth. I had a baby duck greet me as soon as I opened my house door to run to work, and searched the front of my house for the mommy to no avail. I tried feeding it cherrios but it didn't want any (i know right!), but I walked to the back of the house and saw a mommy and some other babys back there so I picked it up and got as close as the mom would let me and put it down. After I walked away and hid behind a bush the mommy and babys came and picked him/her up. It was p. cute.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/babybird.asp

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

However, it is easy to cause wild birds to have heart attacks basically by touching them.

awww so cute.

How noble of you

idk why I get the feeling most guys would do something douchey.... but not you.

Keep it! I would haha. Tho i have 3 kittens so... lol.. maybe not, but id want too

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Do not disturb the circle of life.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I saved a bird once when I was a kid, he/she fell out of the nest or something. We took it to the 'bird lady' who was this crazy lady with tons of birds all over her house, and she had a crow that would KAWWW @ certain parts when she read Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven" out loud lol was crazy

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Quote Originally Posted by Lovex View Post
    awww so cute.

How noble of you

idk why I get the feeling most guys would do something douchey.... but not you.

Keep it! I would haha. Tho i have 3 kittens so... lol.. maybe not, but id want too
    Right on, Sister. Pft, men.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Why do people still believe that "scent" bullshit? Can you think logically at all? Birds have practically zero sense of smell, and that sort of behavior would obviously be selected against anyway...

It's a fledgling: physically developed enough for flight but still learning. The parents are probably close by. If you have stray cats around, you might want to keep an eye on it and shoo them away, but otherwise leave it alone and don't stress it out. It's probably somewhere else by now, anyway.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Introduce it to a harsh environment so that it and its offspring can selectively overcome the environment and become some kind of super bird. Also, wait several thousand years.

{Refresh} {Cat}
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Emirii Mei
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Leave it there, you can put a towel down next to it if it wants to cuddle in it but its a 50/50 chance. Dont scare it, birds are very sensitive. It's parents know exactly where it is, and are probably feeding it (baby birds always act like they are hungry). He's probably just starting to use his wings and ventured out of the bounds of the nest and took a dive. They all do this but sometimes they just land in the wrong area.

I'm currently working on a project that requires me to, daily, handle chicks and eggs, up to and including taking blood samples and measurements from chicks while their parents watch and yell at me to stop.

Complete bullshit.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

That's definitely a myth, a baby bird fell out of its nest on my porch in a storm and landed on my picnic table.

It was storming badly and I have a cat outside so I brought it indoors for the night, and put it back outside in the same place the next morning.

The parents of the bird almost instantly began bringing it food and it was gone within 24 hours (and I made sure my cat had nothing to do with that)

Total bullshit.

Ridill
    BG Level

Maybe it's not true for birds but possums and rabbits and shit will definitely smell it and stay away. I just assume it's possible with any animal capable of rejecting.

Maybe it has to do with where you found the bird as well. If it's already in an environment crowded by people and their smells, like a porch of a house, it probably won't matter. If it's out in the wild it might be a different story. I don't know. I know nothing about birds.