+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scuba Diving Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Scuba Diving Thread

Couldn't find a thread for this, but who all is certified for diving?

I'm about to complete my open water certification, and need some advice for gear. I already have the personal gear, but I'm looking for recommendations for a Dive Computer and Wet Suit. Then I guess I'll look into getting my own BC and Regulator but does anyone have any experience? Maybe even list your fins, mask, gear, etc.

I'd love to see photos from dives and maybe some stories about your favorite dive trip. It's something I highly recommend for anyone to learn. Probably the best hobby I have ever picked up.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I almost was certified when I was about 16 or 17. I couldn't get my ears to pop though, and the pain was crazy so I couldn't complete the required depth. Sucked to go through all the classes only to fail because my ears wouldn't clear.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I'm certified. I bought all of my Scuba gear about six or seven years ago at a Diver's Direct. I'm sure you can find better prices than Diver's Direct, but as far as looking and picking out your gear, it's probably the best place to go. They have massive selections.

My brand of choice is Cressi, but I honestly can't tell you what is better or worse anymore. Like I said, I bought all of my gear six or seven years ago.

My main suggestion is to go to a place that will let you try things on for fit and weight. Having your own gear that fits well will make the diving experience a hundred times more enjoyable. Don't wait to get your own BCDs and regulators. Go ahead and pony up the cash and get it all now. My entire gear set was about $700, and that's with an old-style computer that attaches to the BCD, not a watch-esque one like most people use now (those are expensive). The only thing you don't want to get now is a tank, for obvious reasons.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I got certified in highschool and dove for quite a while but then I stopped diving when life caught up to me and I couldn't afford the gear anymore. The last time I was diving was about 11 years ago. I love diving though and would really like to get back into it. I need to take a refresher course.

I learned in cold water. I dove mostly in Monterey Bay where I lived.

same for me as above. I got certified in college (for credit fuck yeah, best class ever) but it's pretty expensive to get into, and you really shouldn't do it by yourself so without a diving buddy it's tough to go. And without a boat, unless you do like group trips but then that's kinda gay.

I loved diving though when I did, I even was in a DVD filmed by a guy that shoots for shark week cause he was real good friends with our instructor. He has us swimming with nurse sharks down in key largo as a part of a 'creature feature'

I definitely want to get back into it, all I can say to build on what the guy said above is try everything to make sure it fits and don't skimp out on the gear. Get good quality stuff, when you're 30-50 ft under water that's your life.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I've been certified for years and have been in/around the NJ area a bit. Mostly colder water stuff. It just got too expensive and wasn't worth it. My fire company has a dive rescue team but they don't go out enough. A few friends of mine still go to the quarries and dive fairly deep, often using dry suits, but their police salaries are a little ridiculous so they can afford it.

It was fun for a short time for me, but it got old quick around here. If you go on vacations a lot, then it is definitely worth it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I'm probably going to get a 3mm wetsuit... from the following. Any advice?

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod​/BRE3ME.html
    http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod​/HNDTJ3M.html
    http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod​/PINV3M.html

Also, what's a good dive computer to start with? I was thinking a watch, but now I don't know.

Certified to dive since I was...14, 15...whatever the age is you can get it. Love it so much, can't wait to have more of a disposable income to get my own shit & do it more. Can't speak too much on brand (i despise wet suits unless absolutely required), although I would definitely echo being comfortable in whatever you buy. Its a solid investment, definitely wanna be happy with it.

Been to the Cayman Islands...diving the wall is the shit, and I remember we had a crazy dive master (new to diving, 150ft deep dives...fuck it he didnt care) and did a ton of dives for a week. Its incredible how tiring that can get doing 2 dives/day for a while and not used to it. Can't wait to go back there. John Pennekamp underwater state park in Key Largo, FL is one of the better diving you will find in the continental US...St Kitts was nifty but nothing amazing. Done a few other places, around FL. I can't imagine only diving in NJ...what a bummer.

You remind me I need to get my hands on old diving pics, definitely have some awesome ones.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vade View Post
    I'm probably going to get a 3mm wetsuit... from the following. Any advice?

Also, what's a good dive computer to start with? I was thinking a watch, but now I don't know.
    the second one is my vote.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

advanced ow incl. dry suit and nitrox here. started a year ago, 27 logged dives now, 10 in lakes, 17 in the sea. it kinda started slow for me. ow course was ok-ish and i wasn't sure if i'd continue. then i signed for the advanced, did my first night dive and was in love. 4 months later i went to malapascua, philippines, first time sea diving, had tresher sharks circling 4m in front of me and i'm totally addicted now.

the only own gear outside the abc set i currently own is my dive computer and i went with the recommendation from my original dive instructor: big numbers, few buttons. no need for additional stress @ beginner's level when you can't read shit on your computer or have to click through 5 menus to get the numbes you want. so i got this one: http://www.suunto.com/en-US/About-Su...dive-computer/.

it handles nitrox O2% and luminates if you hold your flashlight over it for a few seconds. you can also download your diving log / dive profiles to your pc. the only thing you have to pay attention to is, that once the no-flight time is passed, it resets its oxygen settings. that's a great security setting but nothing beats your face @ 32m, when it starts to beep only 5min after your descend, telling you that you're reaching deco time. forgot to check O2% settings after a lazy day at the beach >.>

depending on your budget, you may want to get a 2nd hand gekko, which is the predecessor of the zoop. it is only missing the download interface, which can be cheated by a simple hack. or the vyper, which has it's own backlight. all depends a bit on how the supplies are at your region. gekkos are about the same price as zoops and vyper non-existent here.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Finished my open water certification today :D YAY!