• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    I like to eat food
    BG Level

Verizon High Speed vs Optimum Online internet

Moving into an apartment in the Bronx and trying to set up cable and internet services. I was trying to compare optimum and Verizon but.i honestly don't.know a whole lot about internet speeds. The Verizon service IS NOT FiOs, I guess it's dsl either 3 mbps max. Optimum is 15 mbps.

Now I am not doing the mmo thing anymore, but I do play shit on steam. I guess the question is will the difference be noticeable.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

If its not FIOS Id say go with optimum.

Id take fios any day over opt online(opt online really does suck at least on Long Island)

opt online should almost always see higher rates then 3mbps. Maybe someone who is in the Bronx can say if its the way way out there. But at least on the Island it is; FIOS>Opt online> everything else. With a big ass gap between FIOS and Opt online. thats for the net

Cable I missed; If you need cable opt online is great as well, you get all the sport teams.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I would have to agree. Opt online is pretty fucking shitty here, but it would be better than what verizon can offer you in that area. Fios on the otherhand is a godsend, at least as far as american internet goes.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

OO is pretty terrible. Switching to Verizon FiOS this week.

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by fren. View Post
    OO is pretty terrible. Switching to Verizon FiOS this week.
    How is it terrible?

I have OO, i WISH i could get Fios but it's not in my area, which sucks consirdering this is a major area in the bronx

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Yeah I've got FiOs at my parents' and its great. The cable service.for.optimum is.pretty expensive. Then again with Verizon we'd be getting DirectTV not Verizon television. I've had bad experiences with optimum at my parents' house which is why I'm hesitant to go with them.

With the internet and decent tv with movie channels Verizon is 88 for 3 months and 100 after that. I can't get a price on just internet from their site, but the tv for optimum would be 83 with the movie package and 70 without. There isn't a package deal for two like there is with Verizon.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

i just moved in a new apartment and got optimum last week

its better than time warner most of the time but its been a bit unstable and going down at least once a day so far. got a tech coming in later today to check on the lines

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Whatever Verizon tells you also has tax.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Optimum is much better in New York if FiOS isn't available.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lex Luger
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Demon Soul

Fios far and away is the winner. I've had both, and despite what Optimum says on their commercials, the verizon internet is a lot faster, the TV picture is sharper, and they have better channels/on demand selection. Optimum is a good back up if no Fios, but Fios just absolutely shits on Optimum.

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

I live in Washington Heights and no FIOS here either, best option is Time Warner who uses the Roadrunner lines, which is trash. The lines up here are overtaxed and it doesn't seem like Roadrunner plans to upgrade them anytime soon, so every night from 8-11 PM service goes to shit (500+ MS in WoW and other games).

I believe FIOS is installed apartment by apartment right? So Unless management lets them upgrade the lines in their apartment I shouldn't expect to get it anytime soon?

I like to eat food
    BG Level

FiOs isn't in every area yet. I have it at my parents' but it's not available where my apartment is.