+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gave 5$ to bg and all I could think of was this lousy title.
    -____-

BG Level

Tooth ache followed by inability to open mouth.

So 3 days ago my wisdow teeth on the bottom left started hurting. Hurting like FUCK (the tooth needs to be ripped out). This happened to the one I had on the right side too before I got it ripped out.

The weird thing though is that now, I can hardly open my mouth wider than an inch. Forcing it hurts like fuck, and forcing more doesn't even open wider, it just hurts even more.

I will go to the dentist when I can but at this point i'm not even sure if it's dentist or doctor?

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Emergency room. it's possible you have an infection. at minimum you need pain killers.

find a way to get to the ER right now.

Spoiler: show
    personal experience

Sounds like it could be TMJ, if the stress of the toothache induced the lockjaw.

Either way, I'm with the above comment, ER now.

ER / doctor. Go now before it gets any worse.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Vandole View Post
    Emergency room. it's possible you have an infection. at minimum you need pain killers.

find a way to get to the ER right now.

Spoiler: show
    personal experience
    This!

Sounds like an infection, better take care of it before it gets worse

Also from personal experience

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Dentist, because I have similar situation a year before. It just that the mouth gum right beside the wisdom tooth got heavily infected. It is suggested that you may want to return back to dentist after the pain release to remove the tooth, else you will experience the same thing after few months again. Just like me, until I decided to remove it

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Tetnus, you're going to die.

-____-

BG Level

I have hypochondria so that's not the kind of joke to do. Or exactly the kind of joke to do if you hate me.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Tetnus, you're going to die.
    It's never Tetanus

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It's an infection in the gums and it's really common. It happens because of how the gums are usually still folded over portions of the new tooth, creating a generous pocket for shit/food to get stuck in and become infected. I recommend taking the ibuprofin of your choice, brushing the hell out of it, and swigging plenty of mouthwash in that zone a few times a day. It will ache for a while, but it it should generally go away by the next day. I have had this happen 2-3 times when my wisdom teeth were peeking out.

tl;dr: brush moar

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    It's an infection in the gums and it's really common. It happens because of how the gums are usually still folded over portions of the wisdom tooth, creating a generous pocket for shit/food to get stuck in and become infected. I recommend taking the ibuprofin of your choice, brushing the hell out of it, and swigging plenty of mouthwash in that zone. It will ache for a while, but it it should generally go away by the next day. I have had this happen 2-3 times when my wisdom teeth were peeking out.

tl;dr: brush moar
    Yeah I think everyone gets abscesses in their gums every once in a while and what you described does work but the OP said he couldn't open his mouth. That is indicative of a bigger issue or an infection that went beyond the normal help. He definitely needs to go to the doctor right away.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Make sure you aren't late for work so you have a way to pay your medical bills.

-____-

BG Level

pay for medical bills? lol i'm in canada

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    the OP said he couldn't open his mouth. That is indicative of a bigger issue or an infection that went beyond the normal help. He definitely needs to go to the doctor right away.
    That's what I'm talking about. I've had the exact same thing happen a couple times. It went away with just cleaning the hell out of the area. It's just easy to dismiss the initial pain of the infection as your wisdom teeth being shitty, but then it spreads a little bit into your jaw muscle and makes it hurt like hell to open more than an inch.

I'm probably giving poor advice since it's not "go to the doctor," but I have had this happen and remedied it or my body just fought it off no problem. At most, they are going to give you a handful of antibiotic pills if you go in.

I also massaged the shit out of the affected jaw muscle, I don't know if that did anything like promote blood flow, but I couldn't help but mash it because of how much it ached.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Ah ok I misunderstood. I have never had the not being able to open your mouth issue before so that symptom seems to be more severe to me but I am neither dentist nor doctor so I don't know that much about it.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I just read a little that it could be from the wisdom teeth being in a horrible position where opening your jaw causes them to push and rip through the gums still covering them. It could be true...

This will sound stupid, but once time I was complaining to my friend in highschool about it when it was happening... and I said "I should just do this" and I mimicked the motion of pulling my mouth open with both hands (one on each set of teeth). However, in that fake motion, I accidentally did pull my jaw open. It went *rip* and it hurt like nothing else. I remember the pain subsiding throughout the day without having access to a toothbrush or mouthwash, so I feel like the gums ripping thing may be true.

-____-

BG Level

No all my wisdom teeth are out. I've had 1 remove (bottom right), but I should have got them all removed. They're in such a bad position that I can't even brush them properly because the gum blocks the toothbrush, and the upper ones are like black. The bottom left one is actually so degraded it's not even a tooth, it's like at the same level as my gum, and it's shaking as if it was about to fall off.

Fortunately, the pain is going away and I seem to be able to open it wider than yesterday. One thing that is for certain though is that as soon as I get back to having regular paychecks i'm getting those fuckers removed.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

The pain is probably going away because the nerves in your gumline are being taken out as well

If your jawbone gets infected and they have to wire your mouth shut you're going to wish you went to the ER

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Acturus View Post
    Sounds like it could be TMJ, if the stress of the toothache induced the lockjaw.
    I'd say it's this more than an infection. My wisdom teeth caused TMJ years ago, and my systems were exactly the same as the OP described. Go to the ER, but if it is TMJ most you're going to get is some Vicodin and wait it out.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SubzeroDiabolos View Post
    No all my wisdom teeth are out. I've had 1 remove (bottom right), but I should have got them all removed. They're in such a bad position that I can't even brush them properly because the gum blocks the toothbrush, and the upper ones are like black. The bottom left one is actually so degraded it's not even a tooth, it's like at the same level as my gum, and it's shaking as if it was about to fall off.
    You dumb asshole, you're in fucking Canada, go to the free ER.