+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stats help     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Stats help

Deleted

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

You want to use a test that subtracts scores 'post' - 'pre' to show that there was an increase in test scores after tutoring.

H0: There is no change in test scores after tutoring.μ0 = μ_'post-pre' = 0
    H1: Tutoring leads to an increase in test scores. μ1 = μ_'post-pre' > 0

From there you're going to calculate the standard error of the difference in test scores. Use SE to compute the test statistic t by standardizing the set of data detailing the difference in test scores. t = (μ1-μ0)/SE

Establish degrees of freedom = k = 'however many scores there are' -1.
    Then we calculate the P-value (I used Excel). where p = P( t < |t_k-1| ).

In a table of P-values for given test statistics at various degrees of freedom (google it), find the entry in the table where the calculated p-value is greater for the given degree of freedom k. Usually we look for p-values greater than a significance level of 5%. Edit: You don't have to look up if you can calculate the t value. Usually in an exam you can't find it using only a scientific calculator.

I calculated the t value to be .0912, much greater than 5% (accepted significance level for entry stats), allowing us to reject H1 and claim that H0 is true, i.e. 2 hour pre-test tutoring does not increase test scores (and more blahblah).

There might be some more details involved but I think this is what you're looking for? This process should be in the textbook examples under Z-scores and Test statistics since it's a basic procedure.

When I took my Stats class in college, it was fully online, and essentially had 0 professor or other student help. All I had was the book my TI-85 and the shitty ass program service they used. When you clicked "help me solve this problem" all it did was was ask you the question again.... Sometimes it even slightly rearranged the wording!

I told you that to tell you this:

I have peered into the depths of Hell and seen the horrors that await the souls of the Damned there, and neither you, nor any other mortal will ever convince me to go back.

TL;DR Tell the bitch to do her own homework.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

SDSD, I haven't had a chance to actually read through your post yet, but I just want to thank you right now for helping. I'm sure this is going to be a lot of help, and I really appreciate it.

BG Level

Deleted

BG Level

Sorry, but I had to have my posts deleted. Thanks for the help.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Reading SDSD's response I'm quite interested to see what the original question was.