+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Alarial

Having personal experience with many family members on the Memphis police force, it's not "a very rare incident" for cops to step out of line and use their own prejudice and bigotry to influence their abuse of power.

I did enjoy the large backlash of "omg, police are mostly degree holding well educated legal experts who just want to serve" from everyone after my initial half serious anti-police joke.

I'm fully aware of the necessity of police and the fact that there are good eggs. But you gals/guys are acting as if the bad cops are in the vast minority, which I would venture to say isn't true by a long shot.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Ok, maybe it's my dyslexia, but I don't see how I confused anything in there. Also protip, most of the traffic cops writing parking tickets are not cops, they are unsworn personal working for a city or county.
    Internet dyslexia: a bullshit excuse for those that still can't figure the difference between "your" and "you're"; or that plurals do not require apostrophes. Sorry to be the grammar nazi, but when you mention high levels of education, hard to resist the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephlie
    Bout a year later, little shit is up for promotion and gets it over the 26 year vet because the rookie was a whistleblower. During his final interviews, the question popped up why he called bullshit on the vets lockup he was stuck with. Rookie said it was a BS lockup with no bearing on the law. One of the panel interviewers quoted him on the detective statement form for the lockup "Individual was arrested (date) for UIP. Subsequent background check linked subject to unknown subject homicide assigned to fugitive apprehension unit wanted for questioning. During interview, subject confessed to 5 murders with involvement clearly portrayed." Rookie was dumbfounded. After, he asked the vet about the lockup and vet said "Just instinct, kid. I knew this dude did more. You might wanna remember that when you write-up your subordinates for bullshit because you're on a power trip."
    Yeah, "instinct". Most of us call it "dumb luck".

Unless you want to make the case that there is a correlation between urinating in public and killing people, the old cop might as well start arresting random people in the street when his "instinct" (bigotry) tells him to, same statistical chance of landing a murderer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephlite
    What you fail to realize that while a law may seem like bullshit and it may be "worthless", it's still a LAW that a law enforcement officer has to enforce
    Bullshit. There are plenty of laws everywhere that haven't been abrogated, yet aren't enforced anymore.
    Many listings naviguate the internet, so you can look up those in your area. Maybe you'll find you're supposed to lock up every single individual that doesn't wear a hat on tuesdays or something equally silly.

But anyway, even neglecting that... you've just highlighted the mentallity one is apparently required to have in your occupation.
    Personally, I couldn't do it. Couldn't bring myself to bust the balls of the motorist in a slight hurry; wouldn't even think of getting near the guy peeing in public nor pull a Parking Pataweyo.

If the job itself requires such pettiness, it's unsurprising that the average street cop is a dipshit.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

With all do respect, thats a issue for the politicians to address. Not the individuals (officers) on the street.

Officers don't make the laws, they only enforce them. Majority of those laws you said that are in the books, but are no longer enforced are due to politicians refusing to remove them.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgarrell View Post
    With all do respect, thats a issue for the politicians to address. Not the individuals (officers) on the street.

Officers don't make the laws, they only enforce them. Majority of those laws you said that are in the books, but are no longer enforced are due to politicians refusing to remove them.
    This, but at this point I think Ashmada is trolling for the sake of trolling. Oh, and I only got an AA degree, and it's in computers. Despite reading at a college level since 4th grade, my grammar has always been awful

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

It's not trolling so much as everyone who bashes cops has either had a bad experience or knows someones mothers, nephews, son of that dog that barfed on the lawn of the next door neighbors who's had a bad experience. The truth is: Cops are human and prone to being an asshole just like everyone else. Regardless if I was being the biggest asshole in the world, people need to grow thicker skin and stop being such pansies. Oh so I pulled you over because you were speeding and your excuse is you're late for work and now you're pissed? Fuck you asshole. You're getting a goddamn ticket because you're going to kill someone and because it's my job. That's why there is LAW. Fuck it let's let everyone go 90 mph and cause a 19 car pile up and kill someone.

Yes, yes. There are laws out there that aren't enforced etc. etc. Urinating in public just so happens to be a highly enforced law in the District of Columbia, that's why I mentioned it in the first place. It's one of 17 laws that an officer can immediately arrest for if witnessed (called a probable cause misdemeanor) and no I don't have to see your dick out to arrest you. Put two and two together: you're standing next to a wall, there's a stream coming from your crotch area, the ground and wall is getting soaked. It's not rocket science.

ESPECIALLY if there's a complainant. If someone else see's you pissing and I walk up while you're doing it, you're done. Just like if someone called you in cause you're talking on your cell, driving a corvette at 90 and cutting people off. I'm arresting you too.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Nephlite View Post
    Fuck it let's let everyone go 90 mph and cause a 19 car pile up and kill someone.
    Multiple factors other than speed. but i get your drift...

Alarial

It's not trolling so much as everyone who bashes cops has either had a bad experience or knows someones mothers, nephews, son of that dog that barfed on the lawn of the next door neighbors who's had a bad experience. The truth is: Cops are human and prone to being an asshole just like everyone else. Regardless if I was being the biggest asshole in the world, people need to grow thicker skin and stop being such pansies. Oh so I pulled you over because you were speeding and your excuse is you're late for work and now you're pissed? Fuck you asshole. You're getting a goddamn ticket because you're going to kill someone and because it's my job. That's why there is LAW. Fuck it let's let everyone go 90 mph and cause a 19 car pile up and kill someone.

Yes, yes. There are laws out there that aren't enforced etc. etc. Urinating in public just so happens to be a highly enforced law in the District of Columbia, that's why I mentioned it in the first place. It's one of 17 laws that an officer can immediately arrest for if witnessed (called a probable cause misdemeanor) and no I don't have to see your dick out to arrest you. Put two and two together: you're standing next to a wall, there's a stream coming from your crotch area, the ground and wall is getting soaked. It's not rocket science.

ESPECIALLY if there's a complainant. If someone else see's you pissing and I walk up while you're doing it, you're done. Just like if someone called you in cause you're talking on your cell, driving a corvette at 90 and cutting people off. I'm arresting you too.
    I'm less concerned with getting a ticket for speeding and more concerned with giving rednecks universal power and authority over minorities they have prejudice against. I mention only this section of police abuse, because of my previous mention of Memphis (where it happens A LOT).

You can't give a person that barely graduated HS (I'm sorry, most cops aren't rocket scientists) a gun and legal power over others and expect them to behave like pillars of virtue when they're patrolling people that they already hate (a hatred that is reinforced when 99% of their perpetrators are of that same race).

Sure, the majority of instances are the cops using self defense and being assholes because they need to be to protect themselves. But the minority still exist, and it's not a small minority.

I think it's more so the fact that we are governed by the police but who governs the police? There is no unbiased party without a conflict of interest that regulates their behavior and until so it essentially promotes that the people you are suppose to look up to as rolemodels can be assholes and have a far lower chance of being penalized. (It is essentially an incentive to try to push their limits with how much they can get away with) And by doing this it spawns more asshole civilians as a result. Note: I am not stating that people are only assholes because some cops are assholes nor am I justifying them. I'm simply claiming that the police force are supposed to set the tone at the top for citizens to follow. (Also well aware that being an asshole is a two way street and asshole civilians can spawn asshole cops. However simply put if you can't deal with the responsibility of power you probably should not be on the force)

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme View Post
    I think it's more so the fact that we are governed by the police but who governs the police? There is no unbiased party without a conflict of interest that regulates their behavior and until so it essentially promotes that the people you are suppose to look up to as rolemodels can be assholes and have a far lower chance of being penalized. (It is essentially an incentive to try to push their limits with how much they can get away with) And by doing this it spawns more asshole civilians as a result.
    Something like that. Not even just the cops either, but also their friends/family. My cousin is a cop, and i love hearing stories about how they can do pretty much whatever the hell they want (within reason of course). One time, my cousin's brother (18-19 years old at the time), was on the beach drinking beer with a bunch of friends. A cop comes by, walks over, and he gets up, asks the cop "hey, how's my sister X doing?". They have a short conversation, and the cop walks off telling them to have a great day, knowing full well that there is a dozen underage drinkers there. If random people can get away with that shit for just being with a cop's family member, i am not sure i want to know just how much an actual cop can get away with.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

A lot of this though is really just people being people. To a lesser or greater extreme, letting someone get away with something like in hey's scenario is like giving someone extra fries or an extra burger at mcdonalds. Most police agencies have adopted some sort of customer service motto and most agencies enforce good tone of voice, the "customer is always right" attitude, and high professionalism. So sometimes alternatives to busting people can sometimes build reproire and help the community.

Guidelines for police are usually determined by FLETC (the federal law enforcement training center) but they mostly deal with use of force and policy guidelines. Its incredibly difficult to weed out potentially bad candidates because most hiring processes deal with prior behavior and crimes and not based on your actual character. That's why you see a lot of different personalities in a police field because everyone is different as long as they have the minimum requirements and haven't been convicted of a felony, you can be a cop regardless of your moral character or bias. Its just not something that comes up during a background.

I agree totally in such a case where you have a small or even large police force that tends to grab applicants who are "redneckish" or could be racially biased to be part of a backgrojnd check but how do you impose such a standard? Its incredibly difficult to get in to that kind of psyche to find these things out and by law you can't deny someone employment just cause they have a bias (unless they're an admitted kkk member or whatnot).

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

To a lesser or greater extreme, letting someone get away with something like in hey's scenario is like giving someone extra fries or an extra burger at mcdonalds.
    I would say it is more like giving unlimited free food to every employee, and their friends+family, but ok.

Yeah I guess it's just important to remember that law enforcement officers.....enforce the law. In a lot of ways, they do have a lot more power than you (at least on a day-to-day basis, during traffic stops, out at bars) because they have guns, and probably work out more than you. The flip side to that is, they're supposed to be doing good, public service, with the aim to maintain a civilized society that we all like. Don't like cops? Lets get rid of them, see how well that works. (inb4 "Well the problem isn't cops, it's that we should have perfect cops that are nice and 100% awesome at their jobs." lol) Obviously the goal is for cops to be good at their jobs.....

The bonus to all of this is, police get fired if they are proven to overstep their boundaries. If they have families, and a mortgage, and a dog, then getting $0 every month for a paycheck probably isn't ideal.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

That's why you see a lot of different personalities in a police field because everyone is different as long as they have the minimum requirements and haven't been convicted of a felony, you can be a cop regardless of your moral character or bias. Its just not something that comes up during a background.
    Isn't there several psych evaluations for this very reason? Obviously, they can't weed out everyone, but they are specifically there to test one's character/morals/etc. It's most not entirely based on your legal record.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

There are evaluations but any well documented case of polygraphers and evaluators will show you that its a broken system that isn't effective in detecting lies or truthfulness. You can be a murderer (extreme case) and still believe you did nothing wrong and beat a polygraph. Same with evaluations for psyche: you can be fucking crazy but believe you aren't and pass an evaluation. With my department there is no polygraph or voice stress analysis and the investigators rely on good old fashioned police work to get you. They go to your neighborhood and knock on doors and dive deep into your life to find descrepencies to get you. Most other agencies rely on science and stuff that's been" proven" to work such as polygraphs.

But honestly, there's a reason why stuff like psyche evals and polygraphs don't hold up in court. Its just not a science that's reliable to show deception or honesty on a consistant level and you must rely on investigative techniques to get it done. Then you still have to factor in the human aspect that people are liars and great actors and can convince you that they are good when in reality they aren't. Weather its the investigator giving you some leeway or you have a background that has no loopholes to catch you up.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

There are evaluations but any well documented case of polygraphers and evaluators will show you that its a broken system that isn't effective in detecting lies or truthfulness. You can be a murderer (extreme case) and still believe you did nothing wrong and beat a polygraph. Same with evaluations for psyche: you can be fucking crazy but believe you aren't and pass an evaluation. With my department there is no polygraph or voice stress analysis and the investigators rely on good old fashioned police work to get you. They go to your neighborhood and knock on doors and dive deep into your life to find descrepencies to get you. Most other agencies rely on science and stuff that's been" proven" to work such as polygraphs.

But honestly, there's a reason why stuff like psyche evals and polygraphs don't hold up in court. Its just not a science that's reliable to show deception or honesty on a consistant level and you must rely on investigative techniques to get it done. Then you still have to factor in the human aspect that people are liars and great actors and can convince you that they are good when in reality they aren't. Weather its the investigator giving you some leeway or you have a background that has no loopholes to catch you up.
    My department works the same way with new hires.

Detective assigned to do a background check on you, going to neighbors/friends/old neighbors/family members to get a general idea on the type of person you are. Then you would get a psych exam, which seems to be hit or miss with individuals (alot of lawsuits come up because of these).

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Its funny because I've been polygraphed before for other jobs and have failed a few because the examiner said I showed a reaction to a question. It wasn't because I was lying, it was because I couldn't remember my last drug use so I threw out a general timeframe. And of course I showed a reaction because I had to think about it. But aparently you can't show a reaction simply because it "could" be an indicator of deception. Wouldn't you want people to think about stuff so they don't lie? The fact of the matter is the examiner wasn't sure so he disqualified me because it was an inconclusive reaction. Not a very fair thing so I did some research and found out how unreliable the process is. Like jc said there's a ton of lawsuits out cause of this stuff.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Polygraphs are bullshit like most forensic "science". Fingerprints and ballistics are also almost never conclusive on their own. At best they provide leads.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah, I wasn't really referring to polygraphs, those are bullshit. I was referring to more along the lines of what jmcgarrell said:

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgarrell View Post
    Detective assigned to do a background check on you, going to neighbors/friends/old neighbors/family members to get a general idea on the type of person you are. Then you would get a psych exam, which seems to be hit or miss with individuals (alot of lawsuits come up because of these).
    I just recall an acquaintance of mine applying to be an officer a while and the department was randomly calling a large number family members asking a ton of questions. Everything from his experiences at school (fights?) to little things about his personality and relationships.

That's what I meant by "psych evaluation" because they are definitely trained to recognize who has a risky personality based on things other than obvious incidents, like whether someone has no friends or argue a lot with one's parents, etc. Whatever someone might accidentally spill about the person. They didn't tell him they were doing this (duh), and he ended up being pissed because he didn't get to warn his family to only say good things about him. I think he ended up "failing" it and he blames family members for possibly saying something stupid. The guy was a massive douche. (surprise!)

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Well I would have to disagree with that because if you can match fingerprints and bullets to a suspect/gun then it holds up well but it does give good leads to a possible suspect/weapon. Till you get to that point though you still have to rely on good investigative skills.

Ridill
    BG Level

So I wonder how deep and detailed the guy with the gun's background check was.

I wonder if it involved a test of how well he could powder someone's hand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast