View Poll Results: How generally interested is BG?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im in.

30 25.86%
  • Eh.

50 43.10%
  • No.

36 31.03%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: WildStar     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

settler gameplay looks fun as hell, cant wait.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Explorer ftw. Climbin mountains n shit.

WildStar looks to be the MMO which most MMO players are looking for. Really excited!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

WildStar Music Q & A Questions for Kurtenacker for the Scowling Cassian.
    What/who are your biggest inspirations for your music?

I’m definitely influenced by a lot of different composers and artists across a wide variety of musical genres, but in the film scoring world I’m inspired and influenced by Alan Silvestri, Jerry Goldsmith, Thomas Newman, Tyler Bates, John Williams, Danny Elfman… the list goes on. I’m also really inspired by some great classical composers like Bach, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Haydn, and Beethoven. I love to listen to all kinds of pop, rock, jazz, blues, opera, musicals… everything. I would say I have a pretty healthy and eclectic mix of influences. In a single car ride home from work I can go from The Killers to Shooter Jennings to Indiana Jones and everything in between. I’m all over the place.

Can you tell us a bit about the creative process when you make a new piece? Do you visualize what you are working with or perhaps look at screenshots?

This is usually the most daunting part of the process… the blank page. I like to sketch out my ideas with staff paper and pencil before I get too carried away in a digital workstation piece of software. I’ve found once you take that step you can end up wrestling with the software rather than wrestling with developing your music. So I have a giant notebook of staff paper that I chart out all my ideas in. When I begin a new zone I have a few things I tend do first: I read a design document written by our lore department about the zone, which is the overview of what the zone is, and what’s going on there. That always gets some ideas flowing.

After that, I’ll jump in the game and go to that zone to get a visual representation of what is happening. WildStar’s art style is a really big influence on me, so when I walk into a zone for the first time I definitely get a mood and vibe based off the art. The last thing I do is talk directly to the people who are working in these zones. They are the experts on these places, so they can sit down with me and walk me through the content players will be experiencing, and I can get a sense of the emotion and moods within the zone as the player progresses. After all that, I pull up a piano patch on the computer and start to sketch out some ideas. Usually just plunking through some melodies or chord progressions and jotting it down. I keep the game open on one computer screen so I can make sure that what I’m doing matches the mood of what I’m seeing. When I find something that feels right, I take it to the next stage and start to really develop it.

What programs do you use when you record?

There are a few different pieces of software used to make the whole piece of music come alive. I’ll walk you through the process from concept to final mix so you can get an idea. I just mentioned how I usually start the creative process for a cue, so what I’ll do once I have some ideas sketched out is start making a more detailed mock-up of the piece. I use Logic on a pretty powerful Mac Pro. I open Logic and load in my orchestral templates for the orchestra instruments. Even though the orchestra tracks eventually get replaced with live orchestra at the end of the process, it’s still great to get a pretty realistic representation of the cue. I use a combination of LA Scoring Strings, Vienna Symphonic Library strings, and 8Dio Adagio Strings. I blend those three libraries together for a nice rich string section to use in my Logic session. For brass I lean heavily on CineBrass, and augment that with Hollywood Brass and Vienna Symphonic Library brass. Often there will be other instruments such as ethnic instruments, woodwinds, percussion, etc… and I have a wide variety of musical instrument libraries to draw from should I need to use them in a cue. I also use a lot of Omnisphere, Damage, Evolve, Alchemy, Phaedra, Project Alpha, Assault, and other great electronica/industrial libraries to get those edgy, electronica, hybrid sounds. I craft the cue entirely in Logic, and I’ll do a rough mix on the cue in order to get it in the game and live with it for a while. When we batch up enough pieces of music to make it worthwhile to do an orchestra session, then I take each cue and orchestrate it using Finale or Sibelius notation software. This is a really critical step. Real instruments behave differently than sampled virtual instruments on the computer, so it’s important for me to make new decisions on blend and balance of the orchestra with the mind-set of live musicians on a stage rather than what I did in Logic to make it sound right. Sometimes, depending on the cue, the orchestration choices may be only slightly different than the MIDI, but sometimes it may involve a whole new approach to the arrangement. Once I have all the scores and parts notated, then we are ready for a day of recording. At the orchestra session we are using Pro Tools for recording. Our audio engineer captures the session on Pro Tools, and then takes it back to his studio to edit and mix and ultimately deliver the final version of the cue.

What fuelled your passion for music?

I guess it was mainly the ability to express myself. When I was in middle school I used to come home from school, drop my backpack, sit down at the piano and play for an hour or two. Not playing anything in particular, but just making up music that resonated with how I was feeling. It was an emotional outlet for me. Even if no one else was home or no one else was listening, I felt like I was able to get those emotions out by playing piano. I was also impacted a lot by music I listened to. I still remember how I felt when I first heard the Back to the Future score, and Edward Scissorhands, and The Who’s Tommy, and Nightmare Before Christmas, and the original Superman, and.. I could go on and on. I vividly remember being moved by the music, and being envious of how the composer was able to manipulate my emotions through the score. So for me it was that connection of the language of music and its ability to say everything I needed it to say. And music is such a rich language that it can express anything! So I’ve never felt short of ways to express emotion or storytelling through music, and that was a big reason I fell in love with composition.

What other projects have you worked on prior to WildStar?

Before working at Carbine Studios I was a composer for SomaTone Interactive Audio, an audio post-production house for multimedia. Mainly we did video games – everything from mobile phone games to casual download PC games to console games. I wrote a lot of music for a lot of those kinds of games, and in a wide variety of styles. Before that I was doing contract work as a composer, where I got to work on some short films, pop production, be co-lead composer on Pirates of the Burning Sea, as well as some arranging and chart/score preparation for WarCraft 3 and WoW.

What is your favorite WildStar song so far?

This is a difficult question to answer. Of the songs we’ve released so far, the Character Creation track is probably my favorite. To be fair, I love them all, and some days certain themes or certain cues resonate with me more than others. That said, there are a lot of great memories wrapped up in the creation and production of the Character Creation piece, and I remember being really moved emotionally as I was conducting the orchestra during the recording session. I wanted to do something a little different (as far as character creation music loops go), and I think we were able to do that. As a result, we’ve got an emotionally engaging piece of music that is ambient yet stirring, and conveys that sense of epic vastness and wondrous adventure. Even so, I am REALLY excited for the next couple pieces that are going to be released in due time.

What is your favorite part about WildStar?

My favorite part of this game is actually beyond the game itself. It’s the experience of making this game together with some really awesome people here at Carbine Studios. Yes, we are making an awesome game that has a ton of highlights, but honestly for the rest of my life I’m going to look back on this journey of making WildStar music, and being a part of the dev team, and it’s going to stand as an iconic time in my life. Not only because of my own personal journey during this time, but all the relationships I’ve built and experiences I’ve had over these years. It’s difficult for me to separate the game from the people who are making it, because the game is so much a part of who we are here at Carbine – so for me, what means the most about this game, is actually the process of making it and journey we get from it.

Is there anything else you would like to share with us?

Yes there is, and I’m glad you asked! With a name like the Scowling Cassian, I know you would be excited to get a little more insight into the creation of the Dominion theme – Systematic Domination. So I want to share some footage from Eastwood Scoring Stage when we recorded the orchestra playing that piece of music! The video starts with some banter between the booth and me about bringing the trumpets back up to full volume, and then you can see me conduct the amazing group of musicians we had at Warner Bros. that day. Enjoy!!
    http://scowlingcassian.blogspot.com/...with-jeff.html

OST preview;
    http://soundcloud.com/inhisgroove/se...r-mmo-ost-cues

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Looking forward to trying this game out. I don't have high hopes for it though. Gives me that vanilla wow vibe. Which I've done and I'm over it.

I don't always post, but when I do....
    BG Level

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaladin Stormblessed
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth

I will say this, the dev speak videos crack me up! And there do seem to be quite a few new ideas being brought to the table here. Wildstar could sneak in as an amazing MMORPG. I do see a lot of people falsely ripping on the graphics. The graphics seem on par with technology, it's the art style they don't like. Looks like Ratchet and Clank - the MMO (which is a good thing to me)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Targeting system seems pretty good, at least better then most MMO's out there. From everything I've read they have a huge scope planned with this game, if they can deliver I could see it becoming a game I'd play. The problem is 9 times out of 10 a developer has a grand scope and they end up chopping it to pieces and release what they claimed they would in a severely unpolished state. If I can just get some darn beta invites...

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/th...usiness-model/

Its Pay to Play.

Box Price + Subscription fee though players can buy a item that gives account time and sell it to other players. I think TERA did this model and so does EVE. I give it at least a year and a half before F2P.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Thought this looked pretty neat.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

interesting, pretty disappointed though w/ pay to play, I hope they have the content to back it up

Bumping for new info!

There was a Warrior livestream today that detailed a lot of the changes they've made while beta has been down.
    http://www.twitch.tv/wildstar/c/3217669

A lot of the changes are getting me more and more excited for this game.

They also teased hoverboards as a mount. Looks like you can ramp off of the world and do tricks and stuff.
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/DHwtH337l.html

Next weekend is the Esper livestream. I think they'll be doing class-based streams every weekend until they get through them all, and they'll be announcing 2 more classes before the winter beta begins (sometime in December).

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Hoverboards and housing.

What more does anyone need?

Winter beta invites have begun going out!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

How comes the little hamster guys can't be warriors?

For game thats trying so hard to be CCCCRRAAZZY, why are they too sensible when it comes to class/race combos in a game with no establised lore.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I feel they're trying too hard with the humour and it doesn't really work D;

I have it on good faith that the humor is 95% awkward marketing and that the content hardly reflects it. It's a shame really, since I know a lot of people put off by the tryhard humor.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

They know they can't reinvent the WoW wheel so trying to make it srs business marketing would probably feel just as tryhard. Either way the mechanics have me interested.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

I actually enjoy the humor of the DevSpeak vids.

The livestreams on the other hand - way too much brotalk.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast