View Poll Results: How generally interested is BG?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im in.

30 25.86%
  • Eh.

50 43.10%
  • No.

36 31.03%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: WildStar     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

Email exclusively states the servers are bad and will lag, hence need stress testing but I'm going to go ahead and moan about lag in the zone channel anyway.

Wildstar stress tester logic.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Looks like TERA combat with the WoW world model, and a lot of the newer features that have come out in recent MMOs. Hopefully, the world/story immersion is also well done and the game executed well as it would have a good shot at being a long term MMO.

Let's pray that the only resemblance to Tera is the combat. If these guys go the way of all the modern MMOs(ignoring Tera's RNG)with easy-mode hand-holding quests, mindless solo leveling, and useless world mobs that aren't worth the time/effort to kill then I'll probably just save my time and keep playing offline games while holding out until next year's MMOs.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'd be interested to see how the game is now compared to when i played during one of the first betas at the beginning of the year. I guess the fact that they have had the beta up for almost an entire year is a good thing.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by notorious bum View Post
    Let's pray that the only resemblance to Tera is the combat.
    Let's not since TERA's combat was terrible. Well, we know it won't be since you're not animation locked on every damn attack so all is good on that front.

I'm personally tired of the getting to max level in 2 weeks mess we've been getting for the last few years in every new MMO. I'm tired of the lack of choice class wise, play style wise, character creation wise, and endgame wise.

Wildstar seems to be on the right track with housing and their supposed robust endgame raiding. My concern is on the combat side of things. I haven't seen anyone figure out how to make action combat work within a trinity system inside large scale raids yet. I'm curious how many healers and tanks stick with the game or give up due to too much stress.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    Let's not since TERA's combat was terrible. Well, we know it won't be since you're not animation locked on every damn attack so all is good on that front.

I'm personally tired of the getting to max level in 2 weeks mess we've been getting for the last few years in every new MMO. I'm tired of the lack of choice class wise, play style wise, character creation wise, and endgame wise.

Wildstar seems to be on the right track with housing and their supposed robust endgame raiding. My concern is on the combat side of things. I haven't seen anyone figure out how to make action combat work within a trinity system inside large scale raids yet. I'm curious how many healers and tanks stick with the game or give up due to too much stress.
    Agreed on all fronts. The lack of launch endgame content for the first couple months in an MMO is only accentuated by the fact that you can gain access to that (lack of) content in a matter of days. WoW, Everquest and XI may have not had much endgame content at launch like the rest of modern MMOs, but at least it took some time to get there (moreso the latter two). Which isn't an excuse, but if you're going to place so much emphasis on speeding through leveling content, you have to have the endgame content to back that up; a point that nobody has seemed to grasp yet. If they make the leveling experience fun for at least the first time through like GW2 was and have the endgame to back it up they can take my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    Oh god this. True action mmo my ass.

I fucking love healing in this game so much. I normally play tank, but heals are so much fuuuuuun.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Yeah been watching the Medic stream today, love how active support looks here. Reminds me of GW2 in terms of playstyle but the support is actually a lot more meaningful.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

With as much moving around as there is, I'm not sure how they are going to handle DPS/Healing and staying out of frontal boss damage like they showed in the video. They might end up needing a range increase to better handle it.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Press NDA was lifted.

Glad to see it's shaping up into a real mmo, was looking guild wars-esk/f2p small time for a while there.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Inspector Gadget, in a Monster Truck; makes you better at everything.

I find it hard to believe that all of the skills each class has will really end up being used, much like GW2, but this keeps looking like a really fun game. If there are enough zones to facilitate multiple leveling paths, I can see myself enjoying the alt experience I so detest in other games.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Yeah, while I think the design of the game is awesome, they might be making some mistakes of the past thinking that nostalgia isn't nostalgia and was in fact good game design (it wasn't).

But then again, some people still think the talent trees in WoW was better than they are now.

Anyway, many talent options could work in this game if the difference wasn't in power but in the AoE/telegraph zones. But I don't know how I feel about 40 man raids.

I am still horny as hell for this game though.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

WildStar Previews 40-Man Raid Mechanics

It's been half a decade since 40-Man PvE raids were popular. Why has WildStar decided to revive this relic of MMO past?

40-Man raids have long since been considered a thing of the past. Abandoned by World of Warcraft in 2007, they were deemed too unwieldy for endgame content. Though I have had some of my fondest raiding memories in 40-man raids, I still remember the agony of coordinating 40 people to accomplish anything, let alone taking down a complex boss encounter. Yet, WildStar's developers at Carbine Studios have confirmed that their end-game content will feature a 40-man raid, reviving the old-school style. I recently chatted with the WildStar team, including Design Director Mike Donatelli and Senior Community Manager David "Scooter" Bass, to find out more on their goals for 40-man raids.

Donatelli said telegraphs will be at the heart of WildStar's combat, and that they'll be a core component of nearly every boss fight. By the time that WildStar players have reached max level and are raiding, avoiding telegraphs will be second nature to them. Despite telegraphs being a major component, though, they're far from the only trick that Carbine will be employing for their encounters.

Large raids in WildStar won't just be about min/maxing damage over time to kill the boss before he kills you (though that is obviously important). One of the things Donatelli thinks will separate WildStar's raiding experience from others is the challenge of coordination and organization, part of which is created by having 40 people in a raid. "In other big raids, you go into a big room, everyone beats the shit out of a big-ass boss ... and if you don't stand in the fire, and don't go over here, and everybody does that, then you win." Instead, the style they're employing requires players to work together out of combat and come up with plans on how to effectively overcome the challenges the raids present.

"What we try to do is go, hey, you've got 40 guys. Why don't we split 10 guys off and make them go to a different wing and have to beat a generator down while there are hundreds and hundreds of bad guys spawning trying to stop them?" Donatelli said. "And there are five teleporters that can be used once to get back and forth between them and the room [where you're fighting the main boss], and if you take the teleport you can't go back. So if the tank goes down on the far side, you need to decide who's going to peel off and go over there, and make sure you can afford to give up that spot for the fight. And that's more than just avoiding fire."

The increased requirement on coordination also raises the 0barrier to entry for raiding in WildStar. Because players can and will be coordinating for these encounters using VOIP systems such as Skype or Ventrilo, WildStar's developers have created encounters that are designed with these kinds of tools in mind. Because WildStar's combat is so action-intensive, effective communication will need to go beyond text chat, and will likely require players to use third party programs to communicate.

"Back in the day you'd make a boss fight that had everyone in one place because you needed that to communicate," Donatelli said. "Then people got smart and they started calling each other, and as the bosses got harder and harder, it became more and more important. Nowadays, if you don't have this, you can't even compete. You've gotta be on the radio with 40 people. Encounters need to be designed to expect it, because people are doing it."

I was also curious to find out why Carbine had decided to pursue 40-man dungeons, given their troublesome reputation. David Bass explained that they feel confident that 40-man raids will be an achievable goal for raiders in WildStar. Although he admitted that not every guild will be able to man a 40-person raid alone, guilds can work together to tackle the challenges, and that they're working on developing systems to help coordinate organization and loot distribution. Bass was also willing to admit that 40-man raids are something of an experiment in WildStar. "I think that 40-man raids will be a success, but even if they aren't, there's only one 20-man and one 40-man raid in the game right now. If the 40-man doesn't get much attention, then we've just made one and we'll keep going with what works."

Bass also explained that WildStar's raid encounters will feature weekly variance, meaning that while some encounters may be present for one week, there will be other encounters the following week. Encounters individually will also be variable, meaning that there will be slightly different elements within each encounter that differ between fights. An example of this would be if a boss activates a large moving laser during one encounter but enables cluster grenades instead during a second encounter. WildStar's raids will also feature challenges, such as beating a boss under a certain time limit, within certain conditions, or with a certain extra variable added into the mix. These challenges will most likely be the WildStar equivalent of Hard Modes, granting players prestigious rewards for completing encounters in interesting ways.

All in all, WildStar's raiding scene seems to be shaping up nicely. Although the game's content is still untested, the preview that Donatelli offered me certain whet my appetite for laser-fueled boss fights. To get your hands on WildStar's beta, you can sign up on the website, or stay tuned to WarCry for more information.
    http://www.warcry.com/news/view/1304...Raid-Mechanics

So yeah, you weren't really expecting to be pugging raids were you?

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Senji View Post
    "If the 40-man doesn't get much attention, then we've just made one and we'll keep going with what works."
    Probably the most important thing in that post. As long as they don't continue trying to fit a square peg into a round hole then I don't mind them trying this out. From what it sounds like it's they understand the only plausible way to make a 40-man work (splitting it up, all working towards a common goal), it's just a matter of whether or not it can be implemented well.

My coil LS can't find 8 competent players to fill an 8 man raid, I don't know how the fuck devs expect people to find 40 competent people to do shit. We're constantly at 7/8 and the 8th is always some shitter. Fuck this, the hardest content needs to be 5-10 people because it's too hard to find 40 people who can use a keyboard and mouse with their hands. By making the hardest content 40 man you're basically designing a PVLFM encounter and not a Player vs monster encounter.

The rest of the game looks fantastic though, I'm excited for it, especially the PVP.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Doesn't matter how good they make the mechanics, requiring 40 people with decent communication means we'll never see another 40 man raid again. Thank God too.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Fojoop View Post
    My coil LS can't find 8 competent players to fill an 8 man raid, I don't know how the fuck devs expect people to find 40 competent people to do shit. We're constantly at 7/8 and the 8th is always some shitter. Fuck this, the hardest content needs to be 5-10 people because it's too hard to find 40 people who can use a keyboard and mouse with their hands. By making the hardest content 40 man you're basically designing a PVLFM encounter and not a Player vs monster encounter.

The rest of the game looks fantastic though, I'm excited for it, especially the PVP.
    Well, FFXIV, ded gaem, etc.

I think if people realize that they need 40 people to do certain things at endgame then you'll see more large guilds than you would in a game like XIV where that many people isn't necessary.

But yeah, I agree with both of you that getting even 10 competent people, ESPECIALLY in an action-esque mmo is going to be a crapshoot.

This is on top of getting 40 people on vent/mumble/teamspeak to STFU and listen.

Organizing large LS events in FFXI was bittersweet, but it did separate the boys from the men in the first year or so, there was not a lot of room for error and losing pop sets/time/dignity was common if you had bad communication or lazy players.

40-man sounds like hell and I don't even understand how some laggy, zoomed-out, trash-duty, spamming experience would ever sound fun to people.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast