1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 4 hours, 53 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 19 hours, 6 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 21 hours, 53 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 12 hours, 6 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Velen

How-To: Run FFXIV on Mac OSX

In this guide, I'll show you how to successfully run Final Fantasy XIV on Mac OSX 10.7 Lion (and should work with Snow Leopard).

For reference, my setup is:

iMac 27" @ 2560x1440 Quad-Core i7 @ 2.93Ghz ATI Radeon HD 4850 (512MB VRAM) w/ 12GB DDR3 So-DIMM @ 1067Mhz.

Feel free to post your setups and how well it runs.

What you will need:
    1. Wineskin
    2. Wine 1.3.25
    3. Final Fantasy XIV Game Disc
    4. Some Wine Knowledge

1.) Obtain Wineskin at the following page:

http://wineskin.doh123.com/

Direct Download Link:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine...p.zip/download

Install it by just unzipping and putting the Wineskin Winery.app into your Applications folder.

2.) Open Wineskin Winery. You should currently have no Installed Engines.

3.) Hit the '+' button and install engine, WS7Wine1.3.25. Name it w/e you want; doesn't matter. Make sure it installs successfully.

4.) Hit 'Update' under Wrapper Version. It should update you to Wrapper version: Wineskin-2.4.

5.) Finally, "Create New Black Wrapper" will be available to click. Click on it. Name the Wrapper anything you want. I.E. - FFXIV or Final Fantasy XIV.

6.) It will ask you if you want to install the "Gecko" package. DO NOT INSTALL THIS. Hit "Cancel".

7.) You're wrapper creation should be finished. Hit "View wrapper in Finder".

8.) Drag the wrapper to your Desktop, or wherever you want to place the .APP. Make sure that's where you want to keep it. Cause from personal experience, you cannot move the wrapper after you install FFXIV, as it will not launch.

9.) Once you have moved it to where you want, double click the new Wrapper. Wineskin should pop up with the following options:

Install Windows Software
    Set Screen Options
    Advanced
    Quit

Click on "Advanced".

10.) Erase everything in the "Wine Debug" text box.

11.) Click on "Tools".

12.) Click on "Winetricks" under Utilities.

13.) Run the following commands in the dropdown box ONLY:

d3dx9
    ie6
    winhttp

Make sure it says that they all completed successfully. Hit "Done".

14.) Hit "Done" again. It should take you back to the 4 option screen. Insert your FFXIV game disc (or, if you have it downloaded on your system, this is fine, too).

15.) Hit "Install Windows Software". Navigate to your game disc (or downloaded file). Select "ffxivsetup.exe".

16.) Select language.

17.) It may or may not say the following:

"A new version of DirectX is required for installation. Install DirectX now?"

Either way, if it does pop up, hit "Accept" and wait for it to install.

18.) If you had to install the DirectX, which I'm sure most did, it will pop-up saying, "Installation seems to have failed". THIS IS OKAY! Go back to step 15, and reopen "ffxivsetup.exe".

19.) This time, no DirectX should pop up, and you should see the InstallShield Wizard for FFXIV. Install it normally like any other application. This will take some time to install. Grab a snack.

20.) Once it's finished, you'll have to choose which executable to start with. Select "ffxivboot.exe".

21.) Double-click your wrapper. It should now be updating FFXIV to the current patch. This could take some time depending on your connection speed. Go watch TV.

22.) Once the updater has finished and you reach the login screen, close out of FFXIV.

23.) Ctrl-Click on your Wineskin Wrapper. Select "Show Package Contents". You should see the third item says "Wineskin" in Finder. Double-click it.

24.) You'll see a very familiar 4-option screen. Hit "Advanced". Hit "Browse" across from the "Windows EXE" text box. Navigate to "ffxivconfig.exe". Hit "Choose". This should change the EXE from Boot to Config. Hit "Done". Hit "Quit".

25.) Double-click your wrapper.

26.) Pay attention here. First set it to your language, hit general, go to Font settings, hit "Use a Windows Font", choose any font, and hit save changes. Hit "Ok" and it will ask you to save changes again, hit "Yes". It will close Congif window. We do this, because it will not save ANY video settings until you do this, and it will always crash before doing this.

27.) Re-open "ffxivconfig.exe", your wrapper. You can now uncheck "Use Windows Font", if you so choose. Choose your video settings you want to use for the game (I did everything mostly standard, but I'd say it depends on your video card). Save.

28.) Ctrl-Click on your Wineskin Wrapper. Select "Show Package Contents". You should see the third item says "Wineskin" in Finder. Double-click it.

29.) You'll see a very familiar 4-option screen. Hit "Advanced". Hit "Browse" across from the "Windows EXE" text box. Navigate to "ffxivboot.exe". Hit "Choose". This should change the EXE from Config to Boot. Hit "Done". Hit "Quit".

30.) Once updated and installed, you should now see the FFXIV Login Screen, Sweet Bliss! Enter your information, hit Play. Depending on your video size you set, that's how large the window will be. Select your character and such.

31.) You should now have FFXIV up and running. It may lag slightly the first time you login and view the world for the first time. However, this is only temporary. You should be able to move around and perform actions just as if you were playing on a Windows 7 machine.

32.) If you have no sound, make sure to log out and close FFXIV completely. Ctrl-click your Wrapper, and go to Wineskin. Go to Advanced, Tools, and Config Utility (winecfg). Click on the Audio tab. Play around with these settings until you're able to hear feedback. I believe it's highly dependent on sound cards. So, my settings are different from some people's settings.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Gn...0.31.43+PM.png

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xL...0.43.39+AM.png

You're now done and ready to play Final Fantasy XIV on your Mac OSX. This should work for Snow Leopard, as well, I imagine.

Under Winetricks, you can also change the allocated VRAM size to "default, 512mb, or 1024mb". Wine runs FFXIV much better than Parallels or VMFusion, imo, because it's not limited to Parallels-type programs 256mb VRAM. What game only uses 256mb of VRAM? Really?

I hope this has helped some Mac users. I know you can Bootcamp Windows 7 with Mac, but I much rather prefer the Mac OSX for running applications than Windows 7. Both have great pros and cons. This is just a personal preference.

If you have any questions or something seems unclear, please leave me a message.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Wow I'll have to try this out later :D Is there a wine for FF11 as well?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Velen

Quote Originally Posted by NeoForte View Post
    Final Fantasy XI has been working on Wine for awhile now. I haven't personally tried it myself (I do have the game discs, though).

More information on Wine with Final Fantasy XI:

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=2739

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Nice. Thanks D:

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Velen

Both of the following videos were taken inside Wine. The Ogre fight might look slightly better, because I actually uploaded that one in 720p; the other, I did not.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Curious, I am in the middle of installing the game, but is there a way to use my wired 360 controller with it? Do I need to get some special program to get the gamepad to work on Mac?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Velen

Curious, I am in the middle of installing the game, but is there a way to use my wired 360 controller with it? Do I need to get some special program to get the gamepad to work on Mac?
    You'd most likely need a program similar to "Joystiq" or w/e it is on W7 that allows the use of a PS3 controller on XIV. I'm not entirely sure what you could use for this, or if it would work at all. Sorry; not an expert on controllers on the Mac or PC

CHELLLLLLLLLLLLL
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Garnet Cat
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I just bootcamped my Mac and run everything (including the 360 controller app) perfectly. What is the cost of the Wine setup? Is it cheaper to just partition and bootcamp it?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Velen

Quote Originally Posted by Ddz View Post
    I just bootcamped my Mac and run everything (including the 360 controller app) perfectly. What is the cost of the Wine setup? Is it cheaper to just partition and bootcamp it?
    I'm not sure what you mean by cost? Do you mean system resources? I would think Bootcamp partition might be a better pick, if you're going for overall performance. Although, I do have a Bootcamp partition with XIV on it, and I still haven't noticed a major difference between running under Wine or Bootcamp. The only thing I've noticed is that it uses more CPU to run XIV under Wine than in native Bootcamp. So, this might be something to take into account for those with older processors.

CHELLLLLLLLLLLLL
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Garnet Cat
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Oh Wine is free?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Velen

Quote Originally Posted by Ddz View Post
    Oh Wine is free?
    Yes; it costs no money to run XIV under Wine (unless you already don't own XIV).

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Nice got it fully working. Seems a tad bit on the bright side but I can adjust that. Wish 14 itself was optimized a bit better but I found some settings that keep the game running about 30fps except for a few hiccups here and there.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Got it working too, pretty nice. Thanks again :3

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Velen

No problem guys. It runs pretty well for it not being optimized for Mac, imo. So, I really couldn't ask for anything better. I know I sent many thanks to Wine Dev for this version. Previous versions of Wine couldn't run XIV at all. So, they really did something right. Btw, you can use Wine to run literally any Windows program, game or no. So, just play around with it.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've gotten FFXI running fine on an older version of wine. Tried to get it running using OP's software, no dice since any mouse input at all crashes the app. Stupid Wineskin likes to override some of Wine's own settings also so I can't find a means of fixing that. Shame as it ran FFXI a good 5-8fps faster than the one I'm using.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I been trying to get either my Sixaxis or 360 controller to work with 14 and while every other button seems to work fine, the analoq sticks somehow won't register on the gamepad configuration. I dunno what is up with that :/

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Just out of curiosity, what are the specs on the Mac you're using? Is it one of the Quad-Core Mac Pros?

I'm looking at the videos and just wondering how the performance within Wine might scale with the Macs I have my disposal.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

My Mac is an iMac 2010 with a i7 Quad Core processor with a ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Does FFXIV run playably on Linux builds of Wine?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Velen

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Does FFXIV run playably on Linux builds of Wine?
    I'm unsure. According to a Linux test on WineDev, it should, but I cannot confirm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast