• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Looking for a TV! Don't know what to look for.

Was hoping you guys could help me with buying a new TV. Size doesn't matter, bigger the better. Price range around 1-1.3k. What else do you need to know? I don't know if I need 3D or not... may be good to have though.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lex Luger
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Demon Soul

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889102540

I personally like the look of LED TV's the best, especially when watching a blue ray. You need to go into the stores and see which you like best. LCD's are still great, and much more affordable, but the difference in quality between an LCD and LED is very noticeable. Most TV's now have 120hz refresh rate, so you really don't need to worry about that. I kind of see 3D as a fad so unless it gets immensely popular, or they start broadcasting the NFL in 3d, I probably wouldn't bother. Samsung, Sony, Shap, and LG are some of the most highly respected brands for TV's. I'd probably stick to one of those 4 manufacturers.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

LCD's are still great, and much more affordable, but the difference in quality between an LCD and LED is very noticeable.
    LEDs are LCDs. They just have LEDs for the backlights instead of CCFL tubes. Localized backlight dimming is possible with LEDs, but getting that would mean 3-4x the budget mentioned.

3D is largely a byproduct of having other capabilities in the TV already, which are often good for 2D as well (at least optionally). The same faster refresh that gives you 120Hz or 240Hz can be used to interpolate frames for 3D. To a good extent, anything of midrange or better quality in a manufacturer's lineup this year probably supports 3D anyway. Even if you're not dead-set on it, I wouldn't avoid it.

Since this is a gaming forum...a big thing you want to research on a TV before you buy is input lag. When a TV processes an image, it can delay the picture by fractions of a second. While not normally a huge deal, for fans of certain genres, having the picture be a few frames behind can really throw off your game. There are often test results posted here.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lex Luger
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Demon Soul

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    LEDs are LCDs. They just have LEDs for the backlights instead of CCFL tubes.
    I know this, I was just trying to keep it simple for the OP. But you did touch on something I forgot to mention, which is indeed input lag. Any model you consider getting you will want to do some research to see what the input lag is especially if it's going to be used for gaming, as Isiolia said.