BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

http://sportscrack.com/images/dauboatsnhoes_large.jpg

Epic article!
    http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-footbal...-death-penalty

LMAO!

Devin Hester Was The Best Of The Best.
    Not only did he collect two separate cash payments rewarding him for celebration penalties, which might be the most swaggerific NCAA violation of all time, but he also let Shapiro buy him a $3,000 engagement ring. Which... Let's it put it this way: If you're letting someone like Nevin Shapiro be the guy who finances your marriage, it's pretty much a guarantee right out of the gate that you're doomed.** That's like rain on your wedding day multiplied by someone dying during the service.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm curious what the NCAA is going to do with Miami Transfers. (Robert Marve for my team) If they are going to punish the transfers, Miami's roster better look like the 1971 Marshall Thundering Herd. (yeah, I know borderline bad taste example....and I highly doubt they get the death penalty)

Speaking of Celebration Penalties:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...-rule-for-2011

Someone mentioned this on a messageboard the other day, and I honestly thought they were making it up. Apparently, if a player taunts before they reach the end zone this year, the play won't count. (if they celebrate after, it will stay the same) That is going to be a shit-storm the first time it happens in a big game. Plus, I think some dives into the end zone (that many times get flagged for celebration) are warranted. (prevents a shoestring tackle) Even if the closest defender is out of reach, the player may not want to risk a slight slowdown by looking over their shoulder.

15 on the kickoff was more than enough for celebration. Plus, half the celebration calls in CFB are bullshit to begin with. (I've seen things like kneeling down and pointing to the sky or hugging the mascot get flagged)

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ryany View Post
    15 on the kickoff was more than enough for celebration. Plus, half the celebration calls in CFB are bullshit to begin with. (I've seen things like kneeling down and pointing to the sky or hugging the mascot get flagged)
    STOP HAVING FUN

STUDENT ATHLETES

TOO MUCH MAN
    BG Level

Hey I'm in the Pac 12 now. Time to go 3-9 in a different conference!

e: 3-10, we have 13 games scheduled this year apparently. And only 5 (real) home games.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Someone mentioned this on a messageboard the other day, and I honestly thought they were making it up. Apparently, if a player taunts before they reach the end zone this year, the play won't count.
    I always thought that mid-play taunting being punished was fucking stupid - taunt at your own risk when you can still get tackled.

But given that they're punishing it, this is fucking hilarious. I love it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I have a picture of how it will pan out for the first time. Some defensive end will pick up a fumble and run it for the first (and likely only) TD of his career. They will high step the last couple of yards and get flagged.

90% of the home crowd will still be cheering, unaware of the new rule, thinking it will be 15 yards on the kickoff. The band will still be playing the fight song when the other team lines up with a first down.

When "first down" (the other team) is announced every other person in the stands will yell at the top of their lungs "BULLSHIT!"

At least it will make for some good youtube videos from the stands.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ishido View Post
    Hey I'm in the Pac 12 now. Time to go 3-9 in a different conference!

e: 3-10, we have 13 games scheduled this year apparently. And only 5 (real) home games.
    Welcome to the Pac 10+2

At least your team isn't forced to play Notre fucking Dame every year.

See you Oct 8th.

TOO MUCH MAN
    BG Level

This will be fun though, in my family/family friends I have a ton of Cal/Stanford/Washington fans/alums/students so it will make for fun times and excuses to head back to the West Coast to see games.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    The NCAA is going to be so mad at Miami that UCF will get the death penalty.

At least your team isn't forced to play Notre fucking Dame every year.
    I'd love to play Notre Dame every year. They always are ranked higher than they should be, and they're an easy win. It's probably the best OOC team a National championship hopeful could schedule.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I just hate their fans more than anything. Yes more than USC fans. Yes more than Cal's fans.

BG Level

I just hate their fans more than anything. Yes more than USC fans. Yes more than Cal's fans.
    Even better, smashing teams with annoying fans is that much more satisfying.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Even better, smashing teams with annoying fans is that much more satisfying.
    And losing to them sucks that much more.

Ridill
    BG Level

I'm curious what the NCAA is going to do with Miami Transfers. (Robert Marve for my team) If they are going to punish the transfers, Miami's roster better look like the 1971 Marshall Thundering Herd. (yeah, I know borderline bad taste example....and I highly doubt they get the death penalty)

Speaking of Celebration Penalties:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...-rule-for-2011

Someone mentioned this on a messageboard the other day, and I honestly thought they were making it up. Apparently, if a player taunts before they reach the end zone this year, the play won't count. (if they celebrate after, it will stay the same) That is going to be a shit-storm the first time it happens in a big game. Plus, I think some dives into the end zone (that many times get flagged for celebration) are warranted. (prevents a shoestring tackle) Even if the closest defender is out of reach, the player may not want to risk a slight slowdown by looking over their shoulder.

If you hadn't seen that before... they penalized us 15 yards, enforced on the 2 point conversion, this was with like a minute left.

We lost by 2 points.

I guess that's what you get for playing Syracuse in a new bowl in NYC.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

lol

I really don't see how they can justify not giving Miami the death penalty, this is about as systematic and pervasive as it gets. But Goddamn does it make for an awesome read. I'm gonna bookmark it right next to the salvage LM-17 thread to cheer me up on rainy days.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Bregor View Post
    lol

I really don't see how they can justify not giving Miami the death penalty, this is about as systematic and pervasive as it gets. But Goddamn does it make for an awesome read. I'm gonna bookmark it right next to the salvage LM-17 thread to cheer me up on rainy days.
    Gotta agree.. This is possibly worse than the SMU mess in the mid-80s. Only questions in my mind are how many years of purgatory Miami gets and whether or not the ACC gives them the boot.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I've worked for the Terps since '06, and I can honestly say, this is the first football game I'm looking forward to seeing/working.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Jon Beason, linebacker, Carolina Panthers: Cash gifts, entertainment on Shapiro's yacht, Drinks and VIP access in nightclubs, meals at Miami-area restaurants. Beason also received $1,150 in bounties. From the report: "Shapiro said he paid Beason $650 in bounty money for his first career start at Virginia on Nov. 13, 2004. The cash was doled out for Beason notching eight tackles ($50 each) and a sack ($250) in a 31-21 win. The booster said a second bounty of $500 was paid for a hit that Beason put on Colorado quarterback Joel Klatt during the runback of a fumbled snap in a 23-3 win over Colorado on Sept. 24, 2005."

Calais Campbell, defensive end, Arizona Cardinals: Food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro's $6 million Miami Beach mansion, an August 2006 dinner at Italian eatery Grazie in which Shapiro personally drove Campbell to the restaurant, and at least one occasion where Shapiro provided VIP access and drinks at a nightclub.

Vernon Carey, offensive lineman, Miami Dolphins: Food, drinks and entertainment at one of Shapiro's homes and on his yacht.

Orlando Franklin, offensive tackle, Denver Broncos: Food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro's Miami Beach mansion on multiple occasions, drinks and VIP access in nightclubs on multiple occasions, bounties for plays against defensive linemen, meals at Miami-area restaurants including a February 2007 dinner at Italian eatery Grazie.

Frank Gore, running back, San Francisco 49ers: Lunch with Shapiro on a handful of occasions. Also, according to the report: "Shapiro also told federal agents in taped interviews that both he and current Miami staffer Sean Allen(notes) had knowledge of Shapiro's partner in Axcess Sports — then-NFL agent and current UFL commissioner Michael Huyghue — paying Gore while he played for the Hurricanes."

Devin Hester, wide receiver/returner, Chicago Bears: Multiple cash gifts, including cash for rims for Hester's sport utility vehicle, approximately $3,000 for an engagement ring, playoff tickets to a Miami Heat versus Detroit Pistons playoff game on June 6, 2005. Also: drinks and VIP access at nightclubs, multiple meals at Miami-area restaurants. Food, drinks, entertainment and lodging at Shapiro's $2.7 million Miami Beach home, Entertainment on Shapiro's million yacht, clothing purchased for Hester in August 2005. The report also details $7,500 in bounties: "$1,000 total for a 97-yard kickoff return for a touchdown ($500) and an ensuing celebration penalty ($500) in a 38-33 win over Florida on Sept. 6, 2003; $2,500 total for two punt returns for touchdowns ($1,000 each) and one celebration penalty ($500) in a 48-0 win over Louisiana Tech on Sept. 18, 2004; $2,000 total for two return touchdowns (including one called back by penalty) in a 41-38 win over Louisville on Oct. 14, 2004; $1,000 total for a kickoff return for a touchdown in a 45-31 win over N.C. State on Oct. 23, 2004; and $1,000 total for a missed field goal returned for a touchdown in a 27-10 win over Florida on Dec. 31, 2004."

Andre Johnson, wide receiver, Houston Texans: Multiple trips to nightclubs where Shapiro paid for VIP access and drinks.

Willis McGahee, running back, Denver Broncos: Two custom-tailored suits, plane tickets for McGahee's girlfriend and a second woman to attend the 2002 Heisman Trophy ceremony in New York City, food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro's $2.7 million Miami Beach home, and various cash gifts.
    The report has McGahee receiving $2,000 in cash bounties: "The bounties were: $1,000 total for 234 rushing yards (Shapiro offered $500 per 100 total yards) in a 41-16 win over Florida on Sept. 7, 2002; and $1,000 total for a touchdown ($500) and 173 yards rushing and receiving ($500) in a 28-27 win over Florida State on Oct. 12, 2002."

Rocky McIntosh, linebacker, Washington Redskins: Drinks and VIP access in nightclubs, entertainment on Shapiro's $1.6 million yacht, and $500 in bounties. The report indicates that the bounty payment was for a pair of sacks and a fumble recovery by McIntosh in a 27-7 win over Virginia Tech on Nov. 5, 2005.

Kenny Phillips, safety, New York Giants: Food, drinks and entertainment at two homes owned by Shapiro and one owned by Shapiro's ex-girlfriend, meals at Miami-area restaurants, entertainment on Shapiro's yacht.

Antrel Rolle, safety. New York Giants: A $7,500 watch, cash gifts in the thousands of dollars (reportedly as much as $40,000), multiple trips to both nightclubs and strip clubs where Shapiro paid for VIP access, drinks and entertainment, trips on Shapiro's yacht, food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro's $2.7 million Miami Beach home, transpiration to and from nightclubs and strip clubs provided by Shapiro's bodyguards
    Rolle also received $1,500 in bounties. From the report: "One bounty of $1,000 was for Rolle shutting down Georgia Tech wideout (and former Miami recruiting target) Calvin Johnson(notes) in a 27-3 win over Georgia Tech on Oct. 2, 2004. A second bounty of $500 was for a game-sealing interception in a 41-38 win over Louisville on Oct. 14, 2004."

Sam Shields, cornerback, Green Bay Packers: A 42" TV, drinks and VIP access in nightclubs, food, drink, and entertainment in Shapiro's mansion.

Jonathan Vilma, linebacker, New Orleans Saints: Food, drinks and entertainment in Shapiro's $2.7 million Miami Beach home, entertainment on Shapiro's yacht and personal watercraft, various cash gifts, drinks and VIP access in nightclubs, and $2,250 in bounties. "Shapiro said the bounties were: $1,000 for a hit and personal foul penalty by Vilma on Florida State quarterback Chris Rix during Miami's 28-27 win on Oct. 12, 2002; $250 for a sack in a 38-33 win over Florida on Sept. 6, 2003; and $1,000 for a hit on Rix in a 16-14 win over Florida State on Jan. 1, 2004."

Vince Wilfork, defensive tackle, New England Patriots: A $50,000 lump sum payment during Wilfork's junior season. Per the report: "Shapiro said the payment was made to secure Wilfork's commitment to Shapiro's sports agency, Axcess Sports, which he co-owned with then-NFL agent and current UFL commissioner Michael Huyghue. Wilfork eventually signed with Axcess Sports and his first NFL contract was negotiated by Huyghue."
    Wilfork also received multiple cash gifts totaling in the thousands of dollars, trips to nightclubs where Shapiro paid for VIP access and drinks, fishing and leisure trips on Shapiro's yacht, meals at Miami-area restaurants, lodging, food and drinks at Shapiro's $2.7 million Miami Beach home, and a washer and dryer worth approximately $1,500.
    The report also indicated that Wilfork received three bounty payments totaling $1,250. "A bounty of $500 was paid for a sack and unsportsmanlike conduct penalty by Wilfork in a 41-16 win over Florida on Sept. 7, 2002. A second bounty of $250 was paid for a sack by Wilfork in a 38-33 win over Florida on Sept. 6, 2003. A third bounty of $500 was paid for a fumble recovery by Wilfork in a 22-14 win over Florida State on Oct. 11, 2003."

D.J. Williams, linebacker, Denver Broncos: Food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro's Miami Beach home, cash gifts, entertainment on Shapiro's yacht, a trip to Miami for Williams' mother, multiple meals in Miami-area restaurants, and a $250 bounty for a sack in a 38-33 win over Florida on Sept. 6, 2003.

Kellen Winslow, Jr., tight end, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Entertainment on Shapiro's yacht and personal watercraft, drinks and VIP access in nightclubs, and "Shapiro said he also paid cash to fix damage Winslow inflicted by crashing one of the booster's personal watercraft into another boat."

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

This morning the local affiliates were interviewing Santana Moss about the scandal, he said he never received anything and didn't know Shapiro. I almost feel bad for the guy, he missed the boat. The sex boat.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Oregon, Ohio State, and Auburn should all be sending thank you letters to the University of Miami right about now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast