• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 153 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

College Football 2011: The Year the (Vacated) Won It All!

My season tickets arrived Friday; why the hell hasn't this thread been created yet? It's time to talk some god damned college football!

ESPN/USA TOday Poll:

1 Oklahoma (42) 1454
    2 Alabama (13) 1414
    3 Oregon (2) 1309
    4 LSU (2) 1296
    5 Florida State 1116
    6 Stanford 1101
    7 Boise State 1065
    8 Oklahoma State 933
    9 Texas A&M 885
    10 Wisconsin 829
    11 Nebraska 814
    12 South Carolina 779
    13 Virginia Tech 767
    14 Arkansas 750
    15 TCU 687
    16 Ohio State 631
    17 Michigan State 536
    18 Notre Dame 440
    19 Auburn 329
    20 Mississippi State 301
    21 Missouri 266
    22 Georgia 260
    23 Florida 240
    24 Texas 162
    25 Penn State 161

And since I'm making this thread, I need to do something pick related to make myself look stupid.

My Picks:
    ACC: Virginia Tech (cupcake schedule)
    Big 10: Wisconsin (Nebraska comes to Madison, I don't think anyone else is as good)
    Big 12: Oklahoma State (they host the Sooners)
    Big East: West Virginia? (who cares)
    Pac 12: Oregon (God, I hope I'm wrong)
    SEC: Alabama (LSU at home makes the difference)
    BCS At Large: LSU, Boise State, Nebraska, Oklahoma

Championship Game: Alabama over Virginia Tech in a rout

Pac-10 picks, because they're the only conference I follow closely enough to do this:
    North:
    Oregon
    Stanford
    Oregon State
    UW
    Cal
    WSU

South:
    USC (oops)
    Utah (no Oregon or Stanford on the slate)
    ASU
    Arizona
    Colorado
    UCLA

Title Game: Oregon big over Utah in Eugene

Other Generic Predictions:
    -- Boise State wins the Mountain West and goes to a BCS game, possibly even at 11-1.
    -- Notre Dame pushes for a BCS bowl game, but falls just short of qualifying, and loses a second tier bowl by 30+.
    -- Utah gets defensive that USC fans say "They only won their division because we couldn't," and learns to resent USC arrogance like a Pac-12 school should.
    -- Andrew Luck gets injured and misses significant time, suffering from the Matt Leinart Memorial Curse of the QB Who Didn't Come Out When He Should Have.
    -- Either Oregon or Auburn gets hit with severe NCAA sanctions, but not both.
    -- Plow picks a team from Kansas to finish in the top 10 at the end of the year, and picks a Big 12 team other than Oklahoma to win it all, because he hates Oklahoma.
    -- Underated team in the Top 25: Mississippi State
    -- Overrated team in the top 25: TCU
    -- Oregon State wins 7 games, goes to the Vegas Bowl. Endures yet another offseason of being a "good little team" and "Oregon's little brother."

College Pick Em Signup is up. Once the Eliminator and Pigskin Pickem get up on ESPN.com, I'll get them all going in one thread, but for those who want an early jump,
    front page is: http://games.espn.go.com/college-pickem/en/frontpage

Group Name: Orderofthebluegartr
    Password: willielyles4prez

I don't understand how Notre Dame keeps getting in the top 25. Very skeptical at FSU and Texas A&M being up so high too. lol-pre-season-rankings, but still.

I'm really psyched though. UF will probably be a rough year, but my best friend moved back into town in Gville so imma go to a shit ton of games. My now alma mater USF Bulls might make a little noise this year, although we did lose some solid guys. I think year two under Skip Holtz will be a bit better, especially on offense. We play Notre Dame the first game of the season up there, we can definitely take em down. Can't wait, god do I love college football.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Fuck you, Byrd. Give us our props, at least until we get it taken away! Q_Q I don't think it'll hit this year. Oregon may get hit, but Auburn will probably be another year or two down the line once shit gets uncovered with Cam in the NFL and not giving a shit anymore about Auburn.

Alabama over VT? I dunno. VT's replacing Tyrod Taylor, aren't they? And their D last year was rather..pedestrian, for VT anyway. I don't see 'em making it. Alabama's D is scary as fuck, though. Ten outta eleven returning, and that secondary, man.. just wow.

My prediction: Auburn barely goes 7-6 and makes the Toilet Bowl, beating a lowbie conference team or something. That or 5-7. It could honestly go both ways. AU fans are too optimistic and don't realize just how much of the offense Cam was last year.

Loved the Plow prediction and I think you're right. Inc "KSU IS GONNA BE GOOD" before it happens.

Hrm. Other predictions.. I really don't have any right now as I've not been following it much. Maybe JoPa retiring at the end of the season. VT *shouldn't* lose with their schedule, but they will. They always play like dogshit to start the season. I could see 'em getting surprised somehow.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Fuck you, Byrd. Give us our props, at least until we get it taken away! Q_Q I don't think it'll hit this year. Oregon may get hit, but Auburn will probably be another year or two down the line once shit gets uncovered with Cam in the NFL and not giving a shit anymore about Auburn.
    Hey, you kept me from hearing "DUCKS NATIONAL CHAMPS OMG" for the next 40 years, I'll give you all the props you want. Of course, now I have to hear "Dyer's wrist was down!" a lot, but that's better than the latter. Plus, it gives me something else to rile them up with other than the Oklahoma's onside kick. I tend to think that Oregon's going to get hit before Auburn does, as the repercussions involve current players, and I think that Oregon would rather have it resolved in a hurry so they don't fuck up any more, whereas Auburn's transgressions are likely retroactive.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

FUCK YES COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD. MY SIGATAR NOW MAKES SENSE.

My Picks:
    ACC: Florida State
    Big 10: Michigan State
    Big 12: Oklahoma State
    Big East: West Virginia
    Pac 12: Stanford
    SEC: Alabama
    BCS At Large: Oklahoma, South Carolina, Boise State, Wisconsin

Championship Game: Alabama over Michigan State

SEC picks:
    WEST:
    Alabama
    Arkansas
    LSU
    Mississippi State
    Auburn
    Ole Miss

EAST:
    South Carolina
    Georgia
    Florida
    Tennessee
    Kentucky
    Vanderbilt

Title Game: Alabama over South Carolina

Other Generic Predictions:
    -- Texas suffers its second straight losing season
    -- Penn State finishes 5-7 and does the unthinkable, firing Joe Paterno before God does
    -- Notre Dame will struggle with lofty expectations, but get to seven or eight wins
    -- LSU starts the year 1-2 and mails it in from there
    -- The Big 12 comes down to a shootout between Oklahoma and Okie State in Stillwater
    -- BYU finishes with one loss but is left out of the BCS conversation, and finds out being independent ain't all it's cracked up to be
    -- Andrew Luck edges out Trent Richardson and Justin Blackmon for the Heisman

GATTACA!

BG Level

^RAGE

I can't wait to see Cowboys Stadium. I would talk more about the season but it gets me all amped up so I'm going to wait until it's closer.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Sorry Mossy, I just hate Les Miles with every fiber of my being. With Urban Meyer gone it seems to have intensified.

GATTACA!

BG Level

It's ok. But we aren't finishing behind Arkansas in the West

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    -- Overrated team in the top 25: TCU
    I was thinking this the other day when I saw just how many starters they are losing. It was amazing what they did with mostly 2 and 3 star recruits the last few years, but you rarely see anyone able to reload without the 4 and 5 stars.

GATTACA!

BG Level

ok PP7 avatar is much better

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The biggest thing that came to my mind when looking at the LSU avatar was how they weren't wearing their road jerseys for that game. (seems to me like they almost always wear their road jerseys, home or away, whenever I see them on tv)

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Lol. Michigan State. I guess them, or Wisconsin will have to win the Big Ten since OSU will be trash, and lolMichigan. Oh..Nebraska. Meh, their QB still blows, so.

I don't like South Carolina as much as others do. Yeah, they're stacked as fuck on offense.. but correct me if I"m wrong; do they have a QB yet? I feel like teams will just stack the box against Lattimore and really stop 'em. Their defense isn't good enough to carry them either. Still. they do have two studs on offense, so who knows. They should win the SEC East.

I could see ND getting 8 or 9 wins at least, and lol at the BYU thing. Totally agree. Going independent is retarded on their part.

Arkansas over LSU.. I know you hate Les Miles, but that..I dunno. I don't like their situation right now, but we'll see. Them floundering in the Sugar Bowl was pitiful, though.

I think LSU can be really good if their QB can play QB the way he did against Alabama and what not. He seems to make like.. two great passes in a big game, then not much else. Dude needs to step up!

Demosthenes11

I'm abstaining from this thread because Cal is going to be terribad. I will still pay to watch the terribad, however.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yay we're #2...don't keep up with off season stuff so that shocked me a bit. Pretty sure whoever we play for home games will be sightseeing the destruction here. Oh god I just realized how bad traffic would be if they started cleaning up again during a game weekend.

Ridill
    BG Level

Nebraska's gonna smash the big 10, OU's prob gonna smash the big 12 this year, wtfingffaisnfasdgbklsdaj @ ND.

I'm not prepared to do my rankings and shit yet.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

im a true fan, im a fan of michigan

fuck ohio state in their damn dirty whore jew mouths, how the shit are they still in the top 25

losing their best player, their coach, fuck, they damn near lost their will to live, but they are still in the top 25

just goes to show, these preseason rankings are about as useful as the bcs

I still dont get why people hate on the BCS so much. How do you argue with by far the most relevant regular season in any major sport? Theres at least one (and often more) epic-level game with big implications every week.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

TCU overrated? You know they play in the Big East now right?

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Also got my season tickets this week, didn't realize you went to the games Byrd. Gonna miss at least two games this season unfortunately, although not too bummed about missing Sac State.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    TCU overrated? You know they play in the Big East now right?
    Not until next year. They're still Mountain West this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrinsic
    Also got my season tickets this week, didn't realize you went to the games Byrd. Gonna miss at least two games this season unfortunately, although not too bummed about missing Sac State.
    Another Beaver fan! I had no idea I wasn't the only one here. Missing Sac State wouldn't hurt my feelings much, but it's the first game of the year, so there's the built in excitement for that. My current plan is to make it to 9 this year. All the home games, plus road trips to Seattle, Salt Lake and a drunken night in Eugene.

Where are your seats? We're in the nosebleeds in 213, but we should hook up for a beer or some such beforehand. I've never actually met a fellow BGer in person, might be about time.