FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

The only thing that I learned from watching that debate is that none of them are capable or competent enough to lead the country.

Also, as stupid as Bachmann is.. I'm honestly more scared about Rick Perry.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike View Post
    As well, most of Ron Paul's stances are less "less regulations" and more "less Federal regulations". Basically he wants to shift the policing of all sorts of things to the states, where it was originally done and envisioned to be done. He even makes an argument about this in the debate the OP is about.
    I don't know how I missed this, but holy shit, are you kidding me?

RP doesn't want regulations done on a state level, in his opinion (and he's probably actually right about this one thing), that would just lead to the states that actually try to keep their citizens safe going bankrupt because every major industry heads to Texas etc. where they can legally poison all of us and our land for profit.

What is it people don't get about the fact that Ron Paul's version of liberty is allowing anyone with money to fuck anybody they want every which way they can?

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    The only thing that I learned from watching that debate is that none of them are capable or competent enough to lead the country.

Also, as stupid as Bachmann is.. I'm honestly more scared about Rick Perry.
    Perry is going to win the whole thing. America (at least the loud part of it) wants another Texas president.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    I don't know how I missed this, but holy shit, are you kidding me?

RP doesn't want regulations done on a state level, in his opinion (and he's probably actually right about this one thing), that would just lead to the states that actually try to keep their citizens safe going bankrupt because every major industry heads to Texas etc. where they can legally poison all of us and our land for profit.

What is it people don't get about the fact that Ron Paul's version of liberty is allowing anyone with money to fuck anybody they want every which way they can?
    people, especially young-ish, white, mildly educated males, like stuff that calls out the establishment but still ultimately serves it. unfortunately, this tendency accounts for a lot of the success of subversive media as well.

c.f. modern life's laughably "consciously post-racist" racism / celebration of entitlement and privilege (like this, though i'm showing my age). not entirely the same as the allure of libertarianism (part of it is just a genuine shift to the right in youth as well as a crumbling education system), but similar.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pahnphoenix View Post
    part of it is just a genuine shift to the right in youth
    This isn't a call out, but can you source that?
    I need to know how depressed about it I need to be.

if republicans really had the youth vote, they wouldn't be making it so hard for people to vote with student IDs lol.

Don't get depressed. Republican support with the under 30 demographic is incredibly weak, this has been a known problem with the Republican party for a long time. Obama took 66% of the under 30 vote in 2008:
    http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/re...xit-polls.html

Thing that gets me is the tax cuts thing. It just boggles my mind that they think we can get out of this with more tax cuts. Look at the past, when have tax cuts ever helped the economy? Never.

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I had a discussion with a conservative about this and he said that it's all the regulations we have that drive businesses to outsource, so big businesses need the tax cuts to bring jobs back over here. I was like... wut?

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

You cut taxes on business, they will just outsource more. They don't outsource because it's too expensive to do business here. They outsource because it's more profitable to do business elsewhere.

Also, lol @ anyone who thinks these guys are credible candidates when not a single one of them would vote for tax increases. It's pretty obvious they just want to get elected. That's why they're all saying it. VOTE FAR ME I WUD NOT REZ TAX0RZ!!!

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...--the-top-tier

Establishment media being total douchebags? SHOCKING

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    You cut taxes on business, they will just outsource more. They don't outsource because it's too expensive to do business here. They outsource because it's more profitable to do business elsewhere.
    I was talking to my dad about this a while back. He is a huge republican and all the normal jazz. Started talking about how tax cuts would make businesses thrive and hire more. He is a business owner himself. So I asked him if he had a lemonade stand, in what instance would he hire another employee. He said "well when demand goes up." There was an awkward stare as he realized what this meant, increasing the money you have has nothing to do with the demand for your business. Whoops.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes11 View Post
    There was an awkward stare as he realized what this meant, increasing the money you have has nothing to do with the demand for your business. Whoops.
    If you use that money to develop tastier lemonade or for advertising your lemonade, demand could go up.

I don't think this is the slam-dunk you think it is.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...--the-top-tier

Establishment media being total douchebags? SHOCKING
    omg, people that are moderately informed treat a giant stinking asshole of a joke like a joke?

shocking

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    If you use that money to develop tastier lemonade or for advertising your lemonade, demand could go up.

I don't think this is the slam-dunk you think it is.
    it's not about it being a slam dunk, it's just the belief that the more money a business has = the more people they hire is a ridiculous notion. It's related to how much demand there is for their product, as grade school teaches us. We may make some use out of tax breaks, but I'll be damned if it is not the rarest occasion that the money is used to create more demand.

Ridill
    BG Level

It used to be. Reaganization has given big business the freedom to make more money by fucking people over than by doing things to increase demand, so yes, it's much more about squeezing every penny from what you have than improving your business now.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

omg, people that are moderately informed treat a giant stinking asshole of a joke like a joke?

shocking
    I see it more as they don't like that he represents everything that could potentially change politics and the way corporate media machines control knowledge. I'm not a Ron Paul supporter, but as a politician he is actually the only one up there with the Repubs saying we're wasting money on the War while the rest keep shaking their heads like "LOLZ WE WAN WIN ELECTORAN".

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Bret Baier actually owned up (earlier this afternoon) to the fact Ron Paul has been largely ignored by the media and agreed it was unfair. No idea what that will change though. I seriously doubt Paul will win the primary but he was a fucking boss at the debate last week. He seemed like the most passionate person up there.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    I might agree with you if not for the bit where he says "if you get a soundbite from Sarah Palin . . ."
    Also that was a terrible fucking joke if he wasn't serious. Not terrible as in poor taste, but terrible in that it wasn't even remotely in the realm of funny. Who was that jackass and which network was that? I admittedly watch Fox and I was surprised it wasn't from one of their anchors.

edit: Also, who still gives a shit about Sarah Palin?

shocking
    It doesn't matter what they personally think. They are misrepresenting the results by downplaying his margin. He's not a joke, and your summaries of his policies are bullshit.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    It doesn't matter what they personally think. They are misrepresenting the results by downplaying his margin. He's not a joke, and your summaries of his policies are bullshit.
    Anybody whose response to "Should we provide emergency medical care for 5 year olds who have no insurance" is rambling about the horrors of cooperative action until the time limit is a piece of shit and deserves to be treated like the complete joke he is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast