+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Firefox 15 is out via its automatic updates... They promised the memory problems are over with this release... I guess we'll see.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So far I've noticed it runs faster. But if you wanna know what leaks..seems some Firefox extensions were the cause of many of the memory leaks, INCLUDING adblocker plus. The fix turned out to be seemingly simple but it may not work for all addons, so if you're still having memory leaks, disable addon after addon and restart firefox after each disabled addon until you find the one that leaks, then nuke that one.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    They promised the memory problems are over with this release... I guess we'll see.
    Nightly is up to v17 and...yeah, it's true. Memory leaks haven't been much a problem in quite some time.

Remit One (1) Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Qeomash Pandemonium
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The only performance issues I have with Firefox these days are just with Flash.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Qeomash View Post
    The only performance issues I have with Firefox these days are just with Flash.
    This is my only beef with Firefox on OSX lately. Not sure why Firefox can't treat them with a lower processing priority when it comes to embedding Flash. If I load up a page with 15+ Youtube embeds my OS turns into a turtle for about 30 seconds.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

v15 does seem a lot faster, but the random problem I get, after long periods of browsing (happens on any site, even BG) on my work machine is that Firefox locks up at 50% CPU usage, and then memory skyrockets until I kill it in taskmanager. Problem still exists in v15 so nothing changed!

EDIT: my only addons are java, logmein, flash and a flashblock.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    v15 does seem a lot faster, but the random problem I get, after long periods of browsing (happens on any site, even BG) on my work machine is that Firefox locks up at 50% CPU usage, and then memory skyrockets until I kill it in taskmanager. Problem still exists in v15 so nothing changed!
    I had the same thing happen every so often a while back. Seems to have stopped sometime in the last few weeks. You might want to try the latest nightly build.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Sure I'll give it a go. But it only happens on my work machine running Windows XP. I'm fine at home with my Vista machine though (yes, I use Vista, haha! I never spent the cash to upgrade to 7 as everything i need works on vista).

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

EDIT: my only addons are java, logmein, flash and a flashblock.
    Same here. Adblock, Noscript, Rikaichan, Avast, WOT, and Java.

Remit One (1) Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Qeomash Pandemonium
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    This is my only beef with Firefox on OSX lately. Not sure why Firefox can't treat them with a lower processing priority when it comes to embedding Flash. If I load up a page with 15+ Youtube embeds my OS turns into a turtle for about 30 seconds.
    This. So very much this. I can't even browse the YouTube thread on my laptop.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Me, I've noticed a LOT less lag and I sometimes leave my computer (and coincidentally, Firefox) on all night while I snooze. (I sometimes have Firefox up while I'm running around in FFXI, and before, every once in a while my chara would freeze for about 30 seconds. Haven't seen that happen since I installed 15!)

Extensions: Adblock Plus, Noscript, IEtab2, Noscript, Status4Evar.

So for those of you that are having trouble, it's likely not one of those. It could be any extension that isn't on my list that's the rotter..Firefox is trying to stop the leaky extensions by yelling at their creators but that's a long process. They've tried to put a stopper in that leak, but it may not be stopping up the leak all the way.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

It doesn't seem to be addons causing my 50% CPU + memory lock up, but basically a forum I was visiting.

It's bizarre. That forum does not use anything special at all, it's the same vBulletin forum found on BG. BG rarely rarely locks up my firefox, but it's happened before, but this forum, for sure, is causing my lock ups at the moment. If I have the tabs open but not loaded, I can still use it fine. If I reload the tabs then yeh the issues start there.

Killed the tabs so far and migrated them to Chrome.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The main things I can't stand about firefox since I updated from 3.6 is that it forgot how to load flash and save images.

Pages with youtube on them load slow as molasses, and trying to save image->close tab->save image->close tab->etc is a nightmare compared to before.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    Me, I've noticed a LOT less lag and I sometimes leave my computer (and coincidentally, Firefox) on all night while I snooze. (I sometimes have Firefox up while I'm running around in FFXI, and before, every once in a while my chara would freeze for about 30 seconds. Haven't seen that happen since I installed 15!)

Extensions: Adblock Plus, Noscript, IEtab2, Noscript, Status4Evar.

So for those of you that are having trouble, it's likely not one of those. It could be any extension that isn't on my list that's the rotter..Firefox is trying to stop the leaky extensions by yelling at their creators but that's a long process. They've tried to put a stopper in that leak, but it may not be stopping up the leak all the way.
    Do you use Firefox Sync?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    and trying to save image->close tab->save image->close tab->etc is a nightmare compared to before.
    I always just made browser half monitor size, opened a folder on desktop, then did a series of click&drag image to folder, Ctrl+W, repeat until all tabs done.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I always just made browser half monitor size, opened a folder on desktop, then did a series of click&drag image to folder, Ctrl+W, repeat until all tabs done.
    Ctrl+s, enter, ctl+w, repeat sounds so much easier to me. Especially since I don't even need to use my mouse. Before it started lagging/freezing firefox for no raison that is.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Try out "Save Image in Folder", lets you setup folders to right-click and save to automatically and has a function you can turn on to double-click an image to save it to your last selected folder. Super quick.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The problem isn't my process... the problem is that in the newer versions firefox lags when saving images so it doesn't process my keystrokes correctly.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah so, if anybody could halp I would be very grateful. This freeze on save image is so bad that I literally don't bother saving images I want to save sometimes because of how long it would take.

When I start to save an image via right click -> save as, or ctrl+s, the window pops up instantly. There are no problems there. But when I press enter firefox freezes and is unresponsive for 4 full seconds. Then it becomes responsive again and the image appears in the download list and finishes pretty much instantly.

The problem is not related to the amount of files in the download list, nor is it related to the downloads.sqlite file. Clearing/Deleting both of them didn't affect the hang-time at all. I did not have this problem when I was using 3.6, but as soon as I updated to 12(?) I've been having this problem. It still persists all the way to 15.0.1.

I'll do some more tests and add the results here.

edit: Oh this is interesting. Even if I press cancel instead of save firefox becomes unresponsive for ~4 seconds. Still hangs on save/cancel in safe mode. I'm really hoping this isn't because of how many files are in my 'default' save folder.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

edit: Oh this is interesting. Even if I press cancel instead of save firefox becomes unresponsive for ~4 seconds.
    Firefox starts to save the file as soon as the prompt to enter a location opens.

Honestly my best guess here is your hdd is having problems. I have a similar issue when creating new folders on one of my hard drives a while back (but not on any other hdd on the same system). The drive ended up failing about a year after it started.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So, I changed absolutely nothing, logged out and logged back in, and now it doesn't hang on saving anymore. It still can't quickly save, close window, save, etc nice and uniformly fast like 3.6 could, but at least it's responsive the entire time.

I'm starting to wonder if the flash plugin is causing problems in windows that persist even after firefox closes. The reason I logged out/in was because winamp started freezing whenever I tried to play a song. I think when the flash plugin crashed it took out my audio device/drivers lol.

It don't think I'm going to be able to fix the small delay between closing tabs when saving images. Even saving into an empty folder on a different drive I get that problem. It's either a problem with firefox itself, or something that will require some arduous testing to figure out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag