+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    Yes. v3 is terrible. I strongly recommend using nightly builds.
    Is 11.0 compatible with all add-ons? I am enjoying my ad-free internet with adblock+ and NoScript.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Every firefox is compatible with all addons.

Ever since 4.0, the webkit under the browser hasn't been changed. As long as you use >4.0, anything you install will be compatible, regardless of whether it says it is or not.

Open a new tab, type "about:config". Accept the disclaimer.

In the search tab, search for "compat" and look for something like "forceCompatibility", change it from False to True.

Now all addons will work in any version. I promise you, they won't break.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

The Add-on Compatibility Reporter extension will both remove compatibility checks during install and also allow you to submit reports when certain things don't work as they should.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

This seems like an appropriate enough place to post this.

Firefox uses a fuckton of memory. I check my task manager and it's eating up 850k+ on the regular, setting my CPU usage at 100% and bogging my fucking system down. Closing additional tabs isn't helping and I've gone through and deleted addons that I don't use. What can I do about this? It seems like every version has this problem. Restarting helps for a little while, but 20 minutes later it's right back up where it was.

Currently Firefox is the only thing I've got running, according to my task manager, other processes that are running are all background shit, running at most 10k. Nothing that isn't legit is running, either, I've checked. I get that I don't have the most high end machine, but jesus fuck, the only purpose of this laptop was really to be on the internet, you'd think it could manage to run Firefox worth a shit.

Help?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    This seems like an appropriate enough place to post this.

Firefox uses a fuckton of memory. I check my task manager and it's eating up 850k+ on the regular, setting my CPU usage at 100% and bogging my fucking system down. Closing additional tabs isn't helping and I've gone through and deleted addons that I don't use. What can I do about this? It seems like every version has this problem. Restarting helps for a little while, but 20 minutes later it's right back up where it was.

Currently Firefox is the only thing I've got running, according to my task manager, other processes that are running are all background shit, running at most 10k. Nothing that isn't legit is running, either, I've checked. I get that I don't have the most high end machine, but jesus fuck, the only purpose of this laptop was really to be on the internet, you'd think it could manage to run Firefox worth a shit.

Help?
    What add-ons or plugins do you have loaded by default, and what firefox version are you running? I know I have used a few plugins in the past that have been huge memory hogs.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

The only ones I use actively are Adblock Plus and NoScript, anything else I don't bother with.

And as far as I'm aware, I'm on the current version.

Forgot I also use Session Manager.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The only ones I use actively are Adblock Plus and NoScript, anything else I don't bother with.
    And is anything else installed that you don't actively use? And what about plugins (such as flash, pdf shit, etc)? Latest version is also useless information, as that could be 3 different versions.

I'm using v14 atm, and it takes 2-3 days for mem usage to hit 850k+, with ~20 tabs open 24/7. The only solution here is to just restart it once every day or two, which is rarely a problem for me, since i update it most days anyway. If you're hitting 850k+ after 20 minutes, then there's probably a problem somewhere, unless you use hundreds of tabs.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

And as far as I'm aware, I'm on the current version.

Forgot I also use Session Manager.
    I have had Adblock Plus and NoScript running constantly, and I am usually running under 300MB even with multiple tabs open. I have never used Session Manager, but I am assuming if it is saving information in tabs that is most likely your memory hog culprit. How many tabs or sessions is it recording at any given time?

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I average 15 tabs open at any given point in time. Since I can't stand having to reopen every tab whenever I close, I honestly can't live without it.

Those are the only three addons I have installed. I have a bunch of plugins, too, most of which are simple web-related (like java plugins) and the rest which I've disabled. Perhaps it's not really twenty minutes before it starts acting up again, but I do restart Firefox every few days, since my computer is a dinosaur and I can't run FF and WoW at the same time, which I play infrequently as it is, but I just can't do both at the same time unless I want to lag to fuck.

It's just starting to get frustrating and as my computer is slow as fuck on its own, I don't like restarting because of how long it takes to reload everything. But I guess I'll have to restart more often. I didn't have this problem with my old computer, so maybe it's just low memory on this machine or something.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Java could be part of the problem too. It's really hard to say without uninstalling one thing at a time and seeing if it has any effect since you aren't using anything specific that I know to be a memory hog / memory leaker (except for Java, it can potentially use a lot of memory depending on what you are doing).

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Thing is, I keep NoScript active on most sites except the ones that I know I can trust, so I'm using java infrequently as it is. But I guess the plugins run constantly and not just when in use. I have to leave for work in a bit so I'll have to dick around with it more when I get home.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

How long do you usually keep Firefox running? I think I don't generally have it open longer than say 12 hours at a time since I always turning my machines off at night. Are you running constantly for days at a time?

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I never turn my computer off. Firefox can be running anywhere from a day to a week without lapse. Usually not a week, though, I generally tend to restart at least every few days just due to frustration.

Like I said, my machine is slow, so the last thing I want to do when I get home from work is wait for it to start up and load, so I leave it on.

Unfortunately, buying a new one is not an option at the moment.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

I never turn my computer off. Firefox can be running anywhere from a day to a week without lapse. Usually not a week, though, I generally tend to restart at least every few days just due to frustration.

Like I said, my machine is slow, so the last thing I want to do when I get home from work is wait for it to start up and load, so I leave it on.

Unfortunately, buying a new one is not an option at the moment.
    Well, you can try using the SysInternals Suite (specifically "Autoruns.exe" for startup information and "procexp.exe" for a very beefed up version of Task Manager) to try and speed up your older machine, especially if you have a metric ton of crap loaded on it. I use them on all the machines I use, and the difference is noticeable.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb842062

Can see if that will clear up your startup slowness which might indirectly solve your firefox woes. /shrug

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Sad thing is the computer isn't all that old, I just didn't have the money to buy anything exceptional when my last computer unexpectedly poof'd on me. But I'll try that and see how it does, thanks for the help.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

It's normal and expected for firefox to use that much memory after running for days without restarting it. It definitely takes way longer to really become a problem than it used to, but tbh i would not expect all memory leaks in firefox to ever be fixed completely. 6 months ago i was restarting firefox problem twice a day. Now i usually restart it once a day to install updates, and it's not a real problem until it's been open for at least 2-3 days. Unfortunately, the only solution is to restart it before it becomes a problem.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

What I'd suggest is install restartless restart add-on, try to get your adblock plus subscriptions down to one subscription+your own filters and then in Options > General check "don't load tabs until I select them" so you're not loading everything at once every time you turn on firefox. This is the same functionality as an add-on called Bartab had if you've ever used it. This way I can leave 50-60 tabs open at any given time on a laptop from 2005, but only about 10-20 are ever loaded so it's not a huge hassle to manage them.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

If it's still buttholes after that, maybe try going to palemoon (an optimized version of firefox, not any different for your purposes) and jumping back to v3. It strains older systems less but is also less feature filled and generally only updated for bugs and security holes.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Palemoon is really nice actually. If you don't want to use nightly builds (which i really recommend), it's definitely the way to go. I can't at all recommend v3 though.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

I sure as hell wouldn't want to use it, but when switching back to it months ago to see if there was a difference I ended up keeping it installed for awhile because it actually meant going to the youtube thread wouldn't bring firefox to its fucking knees. Eventually I went back to regularly updated firefox just because I was willing to deal with something a little less spry for the features.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag