Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level

first world problems

Crackodactyl
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I will agree it's over the top to release the people's info instead of some other info that could be just as good, regardless of how effectively it gets the point across. But also the catch with Anonymous is that.... it's anonymous. There's no telling which person/who in particular was the one or hell, even a group that released the people's private info. Obviously this guy(s) in particular is in the mindset of, yea, throw everyone under the bus for dramatic realization instead of slow learning. Thing is you can't say "aw well fuck anonymous, they're all terrible if just one/few of their members does this."

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

"In "OpBART," Anonymous published more than 2,000 user names, passwords, and e-mail addresses that the hacker group had harvested from the "myBARTway" Web site. Among the released information were some telephone numbers and the street addresses of employees and customers.

Anonymous said in a statement, "We are releasing the User Info Database of MyBart.gov, to show that BART doesn't give a [expletive] about it's customers and riders and to show that the people will not allow you to kill us and censor us. This is but the one of many actions to come. We apologize to any citizen that has his information published, but you should go to BART and ask them why your information wasn't secure with them." ' (pasted from ibtimes article)

While I refer to Anon as a collective group, I know/hope that its not the whole group doing this, but it can't be blamed on "rogue elements" within their ranks either. Regardless of how Anon wants to be seen, they should take some responsibility for the actions of the people who fall under the collective name and do this kind of thing. What if some lunatic decides to go after a BART passenger who had his info released because he didn't like their name or something and ends up killing the person? That blood is on Anon's hands for releasing the info not on BART, blaming them for "not securing their data" is a bullshit cop out. If a hacker has the determination and know how, breaking through the security is just a matter of time.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Regardless of how Anon wants to be seen, they should take some responsibility for the actions of the people who fall under the collective name
    And how would you suggest they do that?

Considering they have no leaders, noone (or everyone) can speak for them, etc. etc.

Who should take what responsibility and how?

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by RetrogradeDark View Post

While I refer to Anon as a collective group, I know/hope that its not the whole group doing this, but it can't be blamed on "rogue elements" within their ranks either. Regardless of how Anon wants to be seen, they should take some responsibility for the actions of the people who fall under the collective name and do this kind of thing. What if some lunatic decides to go after a BART passenger who had his info released because he didn't like their name or something and ends up killing the person? That blood is on Anon's hands for releasing the info not on BART, blaming them for "not securing their data" is a bullshit cop out. If a hacker has the determination and know how, breaking through the security is just a matter of time.
    they released addresses and phone numbers of customers. Things you can find in a phone book or walking down the street.

Lol at a BART passenger being "murdered" bc of this data leak

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Short of someone hacking and finding out who anon members are, I have no answer. Maybe they should grow up and not be so free with information then, maybe they'll be caught some day. Or maybe each member should have the capacity to weigh the merits of their plans against the potential evils, how much good will releasing passenger phone numbers do? What will it accomplish vs just saying, we were able to access manifests, will provide proof if asked? Do they care if anyone ends up being physically harmed, or do they just wash their hands of it and chalk it up to "bad security" when they set out determined to break that very security?

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    Things you can find in a phone book or walking down the street.
    phone books are virtually obsolete and there are such things as unlisted numbers, but I guess you didn't think of that. Also, I didn't know you could speak for the mental stability of every person in the U.S. How do you know there isn't some psychotic person and what they might do with said info?

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by RetrogradeDark View Post
    phone books are virtually obsolete and there are such things as unlisted numbers, but I guess you didn't think of that. Also, I didn't know you could speak for the mental stability of every person in the U.S. How do you know there isn't some psychotic person and what they might do with said info?
    Talk about your all time paranoia.

Ridill
    BG Level

He's obviously in the witless protection program.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    He's obviously in the witless protection program.
    lol

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Underground cell phone service is not a right. It's a service. Which is why you say "I can't get service here!" instead of "I can't get right here!" Also, sounds to me like its a free service, too. So, people are mad because a government agency temporarily withdrew access to a free service in an effort to curtail lawbreaking and potential rioting? Are you kidding me? Find something real to complain about.

Ridill
    BG Level

fuck that, HACK THE PLANET

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    fuck that, HACK THE PLANET
    http://metamarketsgroup.com/blog/wp-...et-470x286.jpg

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    Underground cell phone service is not a right. It's a service. Which is why you say "I can't get service here!" instead of "I can't get right here!" Also, sounds to me like its a free service, too. So, people are mad because a government agency temporarily withdrew access to a free service in an effort to curtail lawbreaking and potential rioting? Are you kidding me? Find something real to complain about.
    Egyptians got nothing on SF.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

http://goteaminternet.com/img/docs/51015.jpg
    "Jolt Cola: The soft drink of the elite hacker."

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lex Luger
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Demon Soul

Why is every other thread turning into a fucking debate on what anon is or how it operates?

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

probably part of some new AnonOp

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    Why is every other thread turning into a fucking debate on what anon is or how it operates?
    Because most people don't understand Anon, this leads to misconceptions piling up, and causes their entire view of the matter to be flawed?

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    Find something real to complain about.
    Are you complaining about people's phone-book info being "released"?

since when are usernames, passwords and emails in the phone books? I don't care about address/phone book but the username password could be used to break into bank accounts or other things for people that don't change that information and use the same thing on everything.

Sure they're stupid for using the same password/usernames on multiple sites but that doesn't mean they deserve that potential to happen.