Garnet Cat
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Dog mourns at casket of fallen Navy SEAL

Had to share. This one tugged at the heartstrings :'(

Source

Labrador retriever Hawkeye lays by the casket during the funeral of his owner, Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson, 35, on August 19, 2011. Tumilson was one of 38 killed on August 6 when a rocket-propelled grenade took out a U.S. Chinook helicopter in Afghanistan.

By Scott Stump
    TODAY.com contributor

updated 8/25/2011 9:54:58 AM ET

Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson lay in a coffin, draped in an American flag, in front of a tearful audience mourning his death in Afghanistan. Soon an old friend appeared, and like a fellow soldier on a battlefield, his loyal dog refused to leave him behind.

Tumilson’s Labrador retriever, Hawkeye, was photographed lying by Tumilson’s casket in a heart-wrenching image taken at the funeral service in Tumilson’s hometown of Rockford, Iowa, earlier this week. Hawkeye walked up to the casket at the beginning of the service and then dropped down with a heaving sigh as about 1,500 mourners witnessed a dog accompanying his master until the end, reported CBS.

The photo was snapped by Tumilson’s cousin, Lisa Pembleton, and posted on her Facebook page in memory of the San Diego resident. Tumilson, 35, was one of 30 American troops, including 22 Navy SEALs, who were killed when a Taliban insurgent shot down a Chinook helicopter with a rocket-propelled grenade on Aug. 6.

“I felt compelled to take one photo to share with family members that couldn't make it or couldn't see what I could from the aisle,” Pembleton wrote on her Facebook page. “To say that he was an amazing man doesn't do him justice. The loss of Jon to his family, military family and friends is immeasurable.’’

Hawkeye was such a huge part of Tumilson’s life that Tumilson’s family followed the dog down the aisle as they entered the service in front of a capacity crowd in the gymnasium at the Rudd-Rockford-Marble Rock Community School. Hawkeye then followed Tumilson’s good friend, Scott Nichols, as Nichols approached the stage to give a speech. As Nichols prepared to memorialize his friend, Hawkeye dutifully laid down near the casket.

The youngest of three children, Tumilson had wanted to be a Navy SEAL since he was a teenager. Friends and his two older sisters remembered a fearless soldier, and a Power Point presentation was shown that illustrated Tumilson’s active life outside of the military, which included scuba diving, martial arts, and triathlons.

Story: 'Courtroom dog' helps young rape victim testify

"If J.T. had known he was going to be shot down when going to the aid of others, he would have went anyway," friend Boe Nankivel said at the service.

“Your dreams were big and seemed impossible to nearly everyone on the outside," his sister, Kristie Pohlman, said at the service. "I always knew you'd somehow do what you wanted."

As for Hawkeye, the loyal Labrador will now be owned by Nichols, Tumilson’s friend.
    Also,
    http://content7.flixster.com/questio...696405_std.jpg

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

and thats why dogs > cats

Spoiler: show
    cant wait for the comments to start

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Dang that really is touching. They need to put that on the evening news tonight.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

FUCK THIS THREAD.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Anyone remember the scene in "Wag the Dog" where they send in the dog to follow the dudes casket to show how much of a hero he was? lol...

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    FUCK THIS THREAD.

QFT

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

so touching. yeah this story is all over the news today.

Reminds me of the flood victim's dog who layed by them for days on end.
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/17...he-dea/?hpt=T2

GDI making me tear up at work haha

Daddy Warbucks
    BG Level

Nothing can ever compete with Hachiko

FUCK THIS THREAD.

^

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Littlest hobo would be proud.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

this thread is a sure cure for blue balls

i was in such a good mood until i clicked here, man dammit Ddz!

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

God why'd you have to link that Futurama picture at the end. Been years since I've seen that episode and it still made my eyes water abit...

And this kind of story is a good example of why dog is man's best friend. Inb4 cat lovers

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    God why'd you have to link that Futurama picture at the end. Been years since I've seen that episode and it still made my eyes water abit...

And this kind of story is a good example of why dog is man's best friend. Inb4 cat lovers
    omg seriously

i never saw an episode that made me laugh and so depressed all at once, lol

and stolen from lyn, but you gotta love dogs. they're the only animals that you love you more than they love themselves. i wish i was allowd to have pets here. i need some german shepards in my life, baby

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgarrell View Post
    and thats why dogs > cats
    FUCK THIS THREAD.

as much as my dog annoys me.. damn man, i know he'd do the same