Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Uh, well I was going to say I'd give it a whirl if it doesn't cost anything to play, but seeing as it's going to cost a subscription fee; no thanks. It's going to have be something really special to get me to pay for it, and after XIV I'm a little burned. That being said, it may end up free to play after all!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Quote Originally Posted by Pikarya View Post
    I hope you're trollin' nigga.
    Seriously. I think we need to get a rope and string him up if he's being for real.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    It's not an MMO lol. You can complete this game on your own and online access is not required to do so. Yes, there are things you can only do online but this doesn't make the game an MMO in any way.
    Dragon Quest is incredibly popular in Japan and the production costs obviously aren't as high as FF in any way. You think they aren't going to profit from this? lol
    Kotaku begs to differ about your first point. http://kotaku.com/5837472/dragon-que...xtra-money-too

So, to recap: You can get a few hours out of the game through single player, but then must go online to access the meat of the game. You must also pay to access this online content on a monthly basis. Dragon Quest has ALREADY fulfilled the core tenant of a MMORPG - having an eternal grind. I'm not seeing how this is going to be at least an MMOG, and a PAID MMOG at that end.

And LOL@Sakurai. The most ardent of DQ defenders claim that the series' charm lies in the fact that the series, does, in fact, do the exact same thing every time. But, in order to stick to that mantra, they'd have to disagree with Sakurai! A Japanese man, no less! Whatever will they do?!!

New Odin
    BG Level

U mad

The man singlehandedly almost ruined chrono trigger. At least it didn't matter much in the 90's aside from the hideous character portraits.

And jesus man, italicboldedcapslock'd shit makes you look like a fanatic.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    And LOL@Sakurai. The most ardent of DQ defenders claim that the series' charm lies in the fact that the series, does, in fact, do the exact same thing every time. But, in order to stick to that mantra, they'd have to disagree with Sakurai! A Japanese man, no less! Whatever will they do?!!
    Nothing, because the fans that are claiming that the game hasn't changed since the NES days are fucking retarded. While it's true that the series is slower to change over the years than other franchises it has still made significant changes while at the same time being able to retain a lot of the traditions of the franchise.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I always thought that was weird as well. Yeah its still grindy and yeah its still all about busting up slimes, but quite a few things have changed. I still can't see it being a big money-maker, though. Perhaps SE is throwing in the towel when it comes to large-scale MMORPG projects?

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I don't expect it to be a cash cow like XI was for so long, but it will be mildly profitable for a few years. I also wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was subsidizing this a little bit to get a big name title for the Wii-U, so it's probably not a very big risk. I'm just worried that due to the lower popularity outside of Japan that they will say it's not worth it to translate/maintain in other regions, and that would make me sad.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    The man singlehandedly almost ruined chrono trigger. At least it didn't matter much in the 90's aside from the hideous character portraits.
    Please elaborate, I do not know of this.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Hyan is a troll old news.

Anyway seems like SE hasn't learned anything from FFXIV either.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Wii has the largest install base worldwide and especially in Japan (11mil vs ~6mil PS3), why wouldn't it release on Wii? The series is known for cartoony graphics so I don't see a problem with it.

The laughter here in Japan basically hasn't stopped, it is like a really, really bad joke.

Square Enix stock dropped over 11% in the two days since the announcement. Wow.

I don't know what they could have possibly been thinking. What the fuck happened to Square... To release an MMO on the worst possible console (a dying one at that) with a user install base much more interested in dancing around in their living rooms than playing subscription based MMOs, and to have graphics barely equal to Dragon Quest 8, a PS2 game... Jesus. This will not end well.

It doesn't fit for Japanese Dragon Quest fans and it doesn't fit for Japanese Wii owners.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    Please elaborate, I do not know of this.
    He was the art director of CT or something like that.

Anyway, it's an opinion so people need to deal with it. All I can see is Dragonball when I see his work and I don't think that's a good thing to be reminded of with anything other than dragonball itself.

To release an MMO on the worst possible console (a dying one at that) with a user install base much more interested in dancing around in their living rooms than playing subscription based MMOs, and to have graphics barely equal to Dragon Quest 8, a PS2 game... Jesus. This will not end well.
    It's coming to Wii U with updated graphics. Of course Wii U will fail horribly, but let's be accurate.

It's no surprise that SE's stocks would drop- it's an online game and the last one didn't succeed. Every Japanese gaming company has dropped in stokcs today today, but people love to hate.

Wii : DQX :: PS2 : FFXI

Don't care if it is coming out on a better console as well. We know all too well about PS2 limitations.

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Fuck it, I'd play it. If I can get my gf and 2-3 of my buddies to play, what the hell.

Did they say what the subscription fee would be? If its like 5 bucks cool. If its like 15ish.. maybeee not.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    U mad

And jesus man, italicboldedcapslock'd shit makes you look like a fanatic.
    I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with him. I hate his artwork. Dragonball is/looks like shit, thank god CT was a snes game, so the only thing that looked bad were the portraits, etc.

Except for the fact that he's always done DQ artwork, so I was already expecting this anyway, and have gotten used to putting up with the graphics in DQ games.

As for the actual game, if they had done it more like DQ9, but like, GREATLY ENHANCED the online components, I would be all over this. (Basically a real RPG, with real online co-op. All of the local multiplayer shit in 9 sucked. It works in Japan, cause it's in Japan, but it was pretty much 99% useless here... I only got to try it once, at the gamestop DQ9 event, jumped into another guy's game and helped him beat some boss. Shit was actually fun! Too bad that was my only experience with it...) If it's actually a full blown mmo, with a subscription, fucking lol.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by takethistoyourgrave View Post
    and to have graphics barely equal to Dragon Quest 8, a PS2 game... Jesus. This will not end well.
    Gotta disagree with you on this part man, graphically the DQ8 style was absolutely perfect for the series so I'm not concerned with that at all, it's not like the series has ever tried to be ultra realistic in it's art style. The MMO part I have to agree with you though, I wish it was more like IX and just had optional online multiplayer.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Fucking double posts...

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Didn't read into the post that 'DQ8's graphics are terrible.' It reads like 'Why is the latest DQ game not any better looking than a 7 year-old last-gen title?'

The early footage supports this claim, but we aren't exactly swimming in direct-feed quality screenshots and movies yet. And let's not forget that Dragon Quest VIII is fucking gorgeous when upscaled in emulation, blocky geometry notwithstanding. You can nevertheless smell a lot of desperation in this announcement. If it's coming out for WiiU, then why not wait to announce it when you can show the game with improved graphics, in HD? We already know it's not making FY2011, so the extra wait won't hurt.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaun View Post
    I don't expect it to be a cash cow like XI was for so long, but it will be mildly profitable for a few years. I also wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was subsidizing this a little bit to get a big name title for the Wii-U, so it's probably not a very big risk. I'm just worried that due to the lower popularity outside of Japan that they will say it's not worth it to translate/maintain in other regions, and that would make me sad.
    Your second point is kind of my main point. Outside of Japan, there isn't a massive market for the franchise, and its never a good idea to try and market a MMO for a small market. Japan isn't a massive market like it used to be; they're in far more of a recession than the U.S. is.

Edit: Throw in the Online Wii user-base (nonexistent?) and just... man... seriously? I'm not surprised at all that SE's stock is dropping. They're making such stupid decisions lately.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Edit: Throw in the Online Wii user-base (nonexistent?) and just... man... seriously?
    It was there for Monster Hunter 3, but that was over a year ago, a year of Nintendo ignoring that base with their first party releases, so it definitely hasn't grown. SE is gambling the market is still there (and it is) and that they're willing to pay-to-play again (they may not be).