+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I can see how this game can be fun as hell if it's hacked to oblivion a la PSO Dreamcast style.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Dragon Quest as a series is globally more popular than a lot of people in this thread are giving it credit for. Wouldn't suprise me if this game was a big success in Japan and a modest success in other places. I've got a 13 nephew that would probably beat off to something like this daily.

Kids don't care about Wii limitations or any of the technical problems everyone keeps throwing out. Not to mention everyone is ignoring the fact that there are more Wii in peoples households than any other current gen system on the planet.

Again, this forum isn't the best place to come to for a general consensus of how popular something is going to be.

Edit:
    An mmo doesn't have to have a billion subs like wow to be a financial success either. Not sure what the success bar is for all the haters in the thread but if it gets just 200k subs it'll most likely be turning a decent profit. Hard to imagine them not getting that many. Hell, they probably have that many still playing XIV.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Sure, kids don't care. But how many of those kids will be able to become monthly paying subscriber to a MMO? I genuinely don't know the numbers to that demographic, but I feel like it wouldn't be very big.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Kids get their parents to pay monthly fees for video games all the time. I know you've heard those tiny little prepubescent voices over you xbox live before. That's some kid who's moms paying for him to play. Very common thing.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by CasualPlayer View Post
    Not to mention everyone is ignoring the fact that there are more Wii in peoples households than any other current gen system on the planet.
    iPhone.

But yeah you're not wrong that DQX will sell like mad in Japan. The problem is that 85% of the Wii's install base is outside of Japan.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

They'd only need 500k subs to be a rousing success. Non WoW MMO games aren't even keeping those kind of sub numbers and WoW is bleeding users at an alarming rate as well.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Man0warr View Post
    They'd only need 500k subs to be a rousing success. Non WoW MMO games aren't even keeping those kind of sub numbers and WoW is bleeding users at an alarming rate as well.
    I don't know if I'm to take this statement as an encouraging predictor for SE's success with DQ X or not :D

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Time will tell, but seeing SE's stock drop that rapidly -in- Japan, the very place where DX is akin to a national treasure, must be pretty sobering for them.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Time will tell, but seeing SE's stock drop that rapidly -in- Japan, the very place where DX is akin to a national treasure, must be pretty sobering for them.
    That probably has more to do with DQX missing FY2011. DQ games taking years to come out isn't anything new but investors bolt at the slightest hint of risk.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

The biggest risk here isn't DQX's release date. It's the Wii... I think I'd pull out too if I had stocks in SE. lol

Speaking of stocks... Get your stocks in Activision NAO!

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...g_development/

Dragon Quest X in development for six years, says former Square Enix employee
    The Wii version Dragon Quest X won't be released until some time next year. By then, the game will have been in development for close to seven years.

This is according to former Square Enix employee Takehko Hoashi. At his Twitter today, Hoashi wrote that the game has already been in development for six years. He wonders if Square Enix will actually release it fiscal term given the reaction the recent announcement has gotten.

According to his entry at the GameStaff Wiki, Hoashi has a long history in the game industry. He previously worked at as producer on a number of Banpresto games, before moving to then Square, where he worked on games like Front Mission Alternative, Final Fantasy IX, and Final Fantasy The Spirits Within. His most recent work at Square Enix included Final Fantasy XIV and The 3rd Birthday. He left the company in 2010.

Six years actually isn't too incomprehensible or the DQ franchise, whose main numbered games are known for lengthy development times. DQVIII was released on PS2 in November 2004, and Dragon Quest IX on DS nearly five years later in July 2009.

If Hoashi's statement is true, it would mean that development on DQX kicked off not too long after DQVIII and ran parallel with DQIX. Different from those two titles, which were developed externally at Level-5, DQX is being developed internally at Square Enix, so it's not too hard to imagine parallel development lines.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Dang. So basically the DQX team used the same development pipeline put in place for FFXII and FFXIII Versus, right?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

talking to a chap at work today about this and he said when he was younger he used to play DQ on the SNES and didn't even know the series was still going and would pick this up if the price was right, afterwards i told him ff13-2 was coming out and claims he's never heard of final fantasy, I'm not sure if DQ is bigger then FF in England or if he was trolling pretty hard but he seemed pretty shocked when i told him it was the same company and DQ was designed by the creator of dragon ball/z which he claimed to watch as a child and loved

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Odin'sLaw View Post
    but he seemed pretty shocked when i told him it was the same company
    Not surprise here though if his last experience with DQ was in his younger days. Though it is a little weird to know DQ and not FF outside of Japan I guess :D

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Odin'sLaw View Post
    talking to a chap at work today about this and he said when he was younger he used to play DQ on the SNES
    Does not compute. None of the SFC DQ games made it out of Japan until they got remade for the DS.

But it's not surprising for someone to play Enix games and not be totally aware of Squaresoft. Some folks seem to forget that Squenix didn't exist until after DQ7 hit shelves.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...tails_in_jump/

Jump Shares New Dragon Quest X Details

The races and world of the online Dragon Quest game.
    The latest issue of Weekly Shounen Jump has a huge blowout on Dragon Quest X this week. For its first look at the game, the magazine provides a few specifics on some of the features we heard about earlier in the week at Square Enix's announcement press conference.

As detailed then, Dragon Quest X is actually Dragon Quest X Online. Players play the game together in an online world. Square Enix hasn't used the phrase MMORPG to describe the game, but it does seem to be apply.

Players can create their character as one of five races: Ogre, Elf, Dwarf, Pukuripo, and Wedi. The game also has a sixth race, humans. Jump says that you create your character from one of the five races, but the footage at the unveiling event did appear to show play as a human character as well.

Humans appear to play a major role in the game's story, as Jump says that you'll be solving a mystery involving the human world. "Has something happened in the world of humans?" asks Jump.

The game is set in the world of Astoldia. This world is split into four continents, Ogleed, Eltona, Dwachakka, Pukuland, and one island chain, Wena Islands. These each correspond to one of the five races.

The five areas surround a mysterious area where something seems to be amiss. Jump doesn't put one and one together, but the central area appears to be the "human world" mentioned above.

Jump's two page spread is full of screenshots and artwork, including samplings of Akira Toriyama's new monster work. Square Enix will hopefully share some of these images over the coming weeks (possibly during the Tokyo Game Show next week, where the game is scheduled to be shown in video form).

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

This is going to be so fucking fantastic on launch day, I can't wait to see the lulz ensue.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201..._quest_online/

Masahiro Sakurai Defends Online Dragon Quest

Smash Bros. designer says treading the same ground over and over would not be good.
    *Claps*
    Nice and I agree with Masahiro Sakurai (of course he isn't the only one but he's famous and liked by nearly everyone therefore everyone has to agree with him or else...).

Though of course MMORPG (especially considering P2P) is a bit risky and it's kind of overdone but still I agree what he says in general about trying different things.

Sometimes it sucks just like how Windows 7 removed the ability to disable auto arrange in folders for some reason >.> but sometimes it works out really well and moves things forward.

This is why I don't get complaints/negativity towards FF12 and/or FF13 sometimes and how it "ruined FF forever!" (but it's understandable in "some cases". Where are the towns!!!!111).

Edit: I meant people keep saying FF went downhill after <insert number before 12> when only two single player games (FF12 and FF13) have been released. It obviously shows SE is experimenting and not that the franchise is going to be "ruined forever".

Also yes there are people who disliked FF12 (though pleasantly surprise to see most of everyone here like it).

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_Cake View Post
    I agree what he says in general about trying different things.
    Sakurai is misreading the response as only coming from the 'try new things' angle; You have to examine SE's track record with multiplatform MMO experiences to understand the fan response.

Both XI and XIV suffer from poor up-porting from a technologically limited system to a more sophisticated system with wider control/display options. It is deeply troubling that they're going to shoehorn an MMO onto the Wii and expect the WiiU adopters to be comfortable when told their version will be superior. It may be okay for those who were perfectly happy to play on the old console, but it has historically segmented the userbase and held back the 'HQ' version of the game. Had DQX been announced as a WiiU exclusive there would be a lot more rejoicing.

True. Though what I meant about that comment in regards to trying things differently "in general" (rather than in response to DQ alone).

I know lots of people disliked FF12 for being different, FF13 for no towns and linearity (though they seem to be fixing that for FF13-2 which is good). Regardless though, it's good that they tried something different to see what works on what doesn't (most noticeably the battle systems) and are fixing it. (Kudos to FFXIV for giving SE humility and a lesson on the importance of listening to their fans).

Sort of off topic actually, sorry about that actually since it didn't really have anything to do with DQ >.>.

But yeah I am worried about DQ on Wii. Best case scenario is that they didn't pour too much money into this project (it would be a bad investment if they decided to invest heavily on the game but limit it with the Wii >.<).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast