+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Well, if they keep 400k and charge, say, $12.95 (whatever in yen), then that'd be $62,160,000 a year. My guess more than enough to cover production costs and upkeep for that year. Pure butter from there. And if people do find it good, nothing to stop it from growing. Just kinda surprised at such a small launch for such a big name franchise. Maybe XIV left the JPs wary.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

According to Famitsu, it was the top selling title last week.

http://andriasang.com/con269/weekly_sales/

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

When doesn't a DQ sell in Japan?

That's a serious question. I'm pretty sure its something akin to a national pastime at this point.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    When doesn't a DQ sell in Japan?
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_logo.svg.png

?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    Yep yep. I'm just relaying the numbers man. lol

If it can hold a few hundred thousand subs for a year or two it'll be a success imo.
    The idea that any new subscription-based MMO can be a success is pretty dead in 2012. At least in America and Europe.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If people expect another WoW scale situation then yes, but that's unreasonable. E.g. Rift has it pretty good, while people keep saying it was a fail.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    The idea that any new subscription-based MMO can be a success is pretty dead in 2012. At least in America and Europe.
    That's because there aren't any good MMOs being released. If developers actually put the effort you'd see better results.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    That's because there aren't any good MMOs being released. If developers actually put the effort you'd see better results.
    The reason TOR and TERA are hemorrhaging subscribers has less to do with a lack of development effort than you might imagine. Folks plow through the accessible content in a month then stop playing. You'll notice the feeble attempts at stopping this with FFXIV's 'fatigue' system. DQX's version of this is a consumable-based XP boost that borrows from WoW's 'rested XP' and is a much better idea. But this is not the only hurdle to clear. The subscription cost is still a huge problem.

The media stops paying attention a week after your launch window. The mobile gaming market offers more variety and new ideas at the same $12~$15/month cost threshold. Unless players can return casually and for free, your MMO will. not. have. legs.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Make a 3D Pokemon MMO for the Wii-U with SteamPlay support on PC. Cross platform multiplayer.
    Make billions.
    Make Pokemon cards work similar to WoW TCG scratch offs for accessories/items/etc.
    Make more billions.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Pikarya View Post
    Make a 3D Pokemon MMO for the Wii-U with SteamPlay support on PC. Cross platform multiplayer.
    Make billions.
    Make Pokemon cards work similar to WoW TCG scratch offs for accessories/items/etc.
    Make more billions.
    would sadly buy and play (not the cards tho go fillet yourselves Game freaks!) i'm wondering how long til we get a real pokémon game for the Wii/U nothing stopping them is there?

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Odin'sLaw View Post
    would sadly buy and play (not the cards tho go fillet yourselves Game freaks!) i'm wondering how long til we get a real pokémon game for the Wii/U nothing stopping them is there?
    I mean fuck. They could even somehow bind the 3D MMO into the handhelds somehow. LOADS OF MONAY REGGIESAN

I'm amused. Got some saying MMOs fail nowadays because their P2P. Meanwhile, you've probably got an exceptionally unhealthy number of P2P users who believe F2P automatically kills a game.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    I'm amused. Got some saying MMOs fail nowadays because their P2P. Meanwhile, you've probably got an exceptionally unhealthy number of P2P users who believe F2P automatically kills a game.
    It's not any one thing that kills an MMO. But if you don't plan ahead for ingame interactions that keep players coming back after month 1, AND you are on a P2P model, you're doomed. Straight up. DQX could solve this problem but it's got 8 years of failed p2p MMOs and their lessons to learn from.

Not saying it's impossible. Think it's more of me just being sick of P2P games sucking and kinda yearning for the early days of online gaming where you could play SC or D2 for free no problem. Sure, we've got lolD3 now and GW2 on the horizon, but a couple games don't make it the norm. I know I personally wouldn't be so critical about games I play if I didn't have to pay monthly fees, either. FFXI shits out crappy update #9001? No biggy, I'll do something else until SE maybe decides to not be dumb.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    The reason TOR and TERA are hemorrhaging subscribers has less to do with a lack of development effort than you might imagine. Folks plow through the accessible content in a month then stop playing. You'll notice the feeble attempts at stopping this with FFXIV's 'fatigue' system. DQX's version of this is a consumable-based XP boost that borrows from WoW's 'rested XP' and is a much better idea. But this is not the only hurdle to clear. The subscription cost is still a huge problem.

The media stops paying attention a week after your launch window. The mobile gaming market offers more variety and new ideas at the same $12~$15/month cost threshold. Unless players can return casually and for free, your MMO will. not. have. legs.
    Do explain how Rift is not only doing well and not going F2P anytime soon but also releasing an expansion. I'm listening.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Do explain how Rift is not only doing well and not going F2P anytime soon but also releasing an expansion. I'm listening.
    RIFT has an unlimited free trial right? You only have to pay a sub to go past level 20? That's why they're still around after a year. Don't know what point your trying to make when my examples were games that force a monthly sub no matter how you choose to spend your time during that monthly sub.

As for doing well,

http://i.minus.com/jqcu5Z8hyO1Go.jpg

They're doing okay, maybe? I guess their costs are really low.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

How is it "unlimited free trial" if you can't go past a level? <_<
    And your guesses really mean nothing. Rift is subscription based and it's getting an expansion on top of not going F2P.
    Many MMOs include a free trial with a level cap and other limitations but no, it's not "unlimited" nor is it F2P.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Having read an import review on DQX, it's funny how much it seems like FFXI on release with its lack of effective party features and extremely heavy grinding required to experience any story content. Doesn't seem like the kind of game that'll do particularly well in the long term, you'd think Squenix would have taken some of the experience from its previous MMOs over to this new one.

As for FFXIV (which seems to have popped up a few times) I think it's fairly arrogant to consider your friends as an accurate representation of the gaming population, it's really anyone's guess how well FFXIV will end up doing considering as little as 10% of 1.0's assets are going into 2.0, we'll have to wait and see.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

How is it "unlimited free trial" if you can't go past a level? <_<
    Okay, so there's no time limit but it's otherwise restricted. It remains an example of how they try to keep their numbers up. The barrier to entry/reentry is very very low. They also seem to release content fairly often (10 patches in 17 months). So far they're doing everything I've said a P2P MMO has to do to retain customers. But they're at 250k subscribers at last check and the trend was not upwards. This is what I mean by 'having legs.' I'm not guessing at anything that matters (their costs would have to be low to keep operating for this long at a quarter million paying customers).

DQX has a few similar carrots. They rewards players who haven't played in a while with the XP boost item. They give casual players something to do with their time without requiring a group with the mercenary market. So they're both promising signs. But the numbers and history (and let's be honest, the Square Enix MMO brand) are against them.

Rift, in my opinion, is a bit shallow if you're not into the raiding game. Forcing people into 20-man scenarios once you're done leveling to 50, which isn't hard to do, is partially why I'd peg a drop past post-launch hype passing. PvP isn't balanced very well and their new Conquest is both boring and just zerg vs. zerg if you're lucky to not get disconnected from your group and steamrolled. With the implication the new lands in the expansion are 3x bigger than the current game world, there's certainly a lot of potential for things to do. But it could also be a lot of empty space. Assuming GW2 holds my interest until then, I'll probably peek at SL once it's out with my Rift sub dropping the end of this month.

Otherwise, I'm kinda hit and miss on Trion's dev philosophy. I mean, yeah, they try to do stuff, but I must be some kind of minority in not caring for raiding, but at the same time, not going gaga over little shit like pets or fishing. I wouldn't mind raiding occasionally if a group would take me in, but I'm not at all looking to relive my FFXI days of nightly events and "Be there or fuck you!" Problem is, since I didn't run GSB/RoS or HK, I won't be stepping into ID, their current tier, and just like finding people to help with CoP was a pain in the ass back in the day, missing the initial pushes of such content basically puts you behind unless some group's feeling really nice and is okay with carrying someone (or making them pay insane amounts of plat). The best thing they've done, I feel, was release Ember Isle for free. I could see other companies charging $10 or more for that, maybe even some labeling an equivalent solely as an expansion. I'd pretty much been done with its primary content within a month or so, sure, but it was actually something for me to do. Just a shame it'll take a year to get a new PvE zone at their current pacing, albeit through the form of an expansion.

Also, 250k users at $14.99/mo is $3,747,500 for them to play with on expenses. While I have no doubt some of the money is going into Trion's other ventures, I'd be surprised if they need more than 1/3rd that monthly to keep things afloat.

tl;dr = They've fallen into some unfortunate MMO trappings (time sinks/grinding), and it doesn't help that some people in the community defend such. And like other games without a big/active/good guild, you're not going far with progression.

As for DQX being grindy, I'm not at all surprised. It's practically a series staple.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast