BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    I think you underestimate the power of Dragon Quest in Japan.

...and busty red women.
    God, I'm so glad someone beat me to this. I don't see this thing bombing in Japan. I don't know if it will be able to get a decade of life like FFXI has, but if they can get even half of that I'd say it was quite successful.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post

Crafting looks great
    that turtle be shitting dragon balls!

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Didn't have a chance to watch the video until this morning, but this game looks really fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaun View Post
    God, I'm so glad someone beat me to this. I don't see this thing bombing in Japan. I don't know if it will be able to get a decade of life like FFXI has, but if they can get even half of that I'd say it was quite successful.
    I'd actually say it has the potential to offer the cinematic oomph FFXI did with cutscenes and such. The game being stylized enough its look from recent gen titles and even looking good isn't bad, either.

My only concern is the actual online combat element, which may have been spoken on in the video, but I can't speak moonrunes. If one can theoretically recruit their own NPC party, you've got a means to do shit when friends aren't around. And if fights are turn-based, lag isn't so much a concern, either.

Wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if we never see the game, though.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'm probably going to end up importing it, got a friend living in japan that keeps telling me to. Hopefully it's not IP locked to japan only.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I heard this game was also supposed to come out for the Wii U? I wonder if.. Crossing fingers, it'll be a released sometime in the US after the Wii U's debute. I don't have a PC capable of running decent MMO's right now, so the only way I'm getting back into that scene is if DQX is localized, or if FFXIV is released on PS3 and is actually a good game.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

kawaii ogre desu ne uguu~

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Kadaj View Post
    or if FFXIV is released on PS3 and is actually a good game.
    I'd bet the house on DQX then, because I reeeeeally don't see that happening. SE is essentially just filling a bottomless pit with money on that one - even if the game ever shapes up to be something legitimately playable, they'll never attract much of a subscriber base considering the absolute fiasco the last two years of it have been.

I'd say you overestimate the number of people who visit gaming sites, let alone those that would focus on XIV enough to paint a bad picture. Should they get the game turned around, all it'll take is a good ad campaign to get people curious. Doubt it'll be a WoW-killer, but even if it could get to XI's seemingly perpetual 500k for like 8 years, they've done what they needed to.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    I'd say you overestimate the number of people who visit gaming sites, let alone those that would focus on XIV enough to paint a bad picture. Should they get the game turned around, all it'll take is a good ad campaign to get people curious. Doubt it'll be a WoW-killer, but even if it could get to XI's seemingly perpetual 500k for like 8 years, they've done what they needed to.
    I'd say you underestimate the gravity of the absolute smear campaign that the internet and gaming journalism did on the game as a result of it's launch, despite it being entirely deserved. But anyhow, that's a discussion for another thread, some other time, or PMs. If they pull it out of the shitter, good for them, but I can't even convince myself to resub to get Legacy status, because even after two years they've managed to do little more than a pile of retention stunts.

I just can't underestimate the short attention span of the general public. Just look at wrestling as an example of people who can't remember what happened 3 months ago, let alone 2 years (coincidentally a good place for SE to advertise due to consistent monday night viewership). Some new, unaware blood will have grown up since then. Some people will be sick of their current/old games. Some, sure, will be jaded and rightfully so.

I just know that everyone who plays video games doesn't trawl around gaming sites to know or care what happened. Some are simply just impulse buyers who walk into a store, see a cover they like, and walk out with it. Maybe not the most responsible way to spend money, but it happens.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

You're crazy if you think FF14 will get anywhere close to 500k.

Literally every gamer I know, regardless of whether they go on forums or not, seems to understand that 14 is a pile of shit. No amount of ad campaign will change this initial opinion of the majority.

I wouldn't expect that number, either, at least on the NA side. Still think it seems rather egotistical to claim to know the majority opinion (across multiple languages) when it's far more likely you only know a small minority of people who'd even call themselves a gamer to begin with. And while reasonable to extrapolate on 2.0's potential with what's known now and common themes of MMOs and SE's habits, 2.0 will still be a "new" game we're still largely in the dark on. And while some of the media will ride that hate train, sure, it'll be sad if an actual good game does come out of it and people just want to play e-cool because they wanna be sheep about it and not actually form their own opinion.

Seriously, not everyone cares about what happened in gaming 2-3 years ago. They just wanna have fun now. And assuming SE does it right by having trials, it's not like people have anything to lose in giving the reboot a shot. If someone wants to be a dick after that, great. In calling myself a gamer, I want to see more enjoyable games out there to pick from, not less because Tanaka was a stubborn idiot or some other random reason usually slapped to big studios that make a mistake. And if SE hasn't learned from their mistake? Who knows, maybe some will get their wish and the company will fold in the future.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

It sounds like Dragon Quest X is pretty busy since Square Enix added servers 21 – 40 earlier today. That gives the Wii RPG twice the amount of servers running the game.

Square Enix says there are still bugs they need to fix like chat and friend bugs. They’re also working on increasing server capacity to support more players per server.

Dragon Quest X came out on August 2 for Wii.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/07...e-the-servers/

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

DQX sold 420k copies in the first week. It's decent but not as much copies as DQIX sold in it's first week (~2.3m).

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

IX also wasn't a paid subscription MMO.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Yep yep. I'm just relaying the numbers man. lol

If it can hold a few hundred thousand subs for a year or two it'll be a success imo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast