• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    MaachaQ

Gateway monitor having strange flickering problem...

I know this is a rather old monitor, 5+ years, but this problem only started a couple weeks ago and I have no idea why. Is there any hope of saving this monitor or would we be better off just buying a new one?

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I've had this issue happen when attempting to run my screen resolution at a higher resolution then the monitor would support(my current card lets me set the shit to 2048x1536 but monitor only handles 1400x900) try lowering the resolution to see if it fixes it, if not then.. idk!

MaachaQ

It's been running at the same resolution for ~2 years on the same PC, this only started recently. I tried changing the resolution (2nd video I did I have the resolution screen open before I change input to the PS3), but it still did the same thing. The 2nd monitor hooked up to the computer is our TV, and that screen looks fine on whatever settings we choose, so it is definitely the monitor and not the PC itself.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

That looks like some kind of problem with the monitor cable (I had the same problem years ago on my 486 machine).. the wires are probably starting to get frayed inside the cable at some point, probably where the back end of the connector & the cable meet.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Replace the monitor's cable first.

If not, just assume it's an OEM monitor that's finally dying. Which it is. It should have died a while ago.

MaachaQ

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    That looks like some kind of problem with the monitor cable (I had the same problem years ago on my 486 machine).. the wires are probably starting to get frayed inside the cable at some point, probably where the back end of the connector & the cable meet.
    We'll try changing out some cables, but seeing as the problem happens on both the PC input(DVI) and the PS3 input (HDMI) there's a good chance the monitor itself is going down for good. It's pretty sad, we had another LCD monitor die recently that was almost 10 years old, and now this one is dying and it's less than half the age... they just don't make things as well as they used to... >.> I feel old.