FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

What made you quit FFXI?

I'm curious which reasons everyone is coming up with.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Only time I quit was because I was overly addicted and I had to get my life in order. Once I had my life in order and I could handle playing in moderation I reactivated. Should be a box "Couldn't balance game + life" lol

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

I voted 'didn't have the time anymore', but it would be more accurate to say 'I didn't enjoy the time anymore'. I loved my LS, and obviously still talk with the majority of them, but the feeling of obligation to spend time logged in started to weigh rather heavily.

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by isladar View Post
    I voted 'didn't have the time anymore', but it would be more accurate to say 'I didn't enjoy the time anymore'. I loved my LS, and obviously still talk with the majority of them, but the feeling of obligation to spend time logged in started to weigh rather heavily.
    Who are you?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Lack of a real future. Abyssea was awesome but it shouldn't be the be-all-and-end-all of the game, and Voidwatch is awful. King update was long sought for but we were slapped in the face by horrendous drop rates. Combined with the dwindling playerbase and lack of attention of the devs, and unlikely chance of real expansion in the future, I decided to change to a more new game.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Originally, I quit for XIV. Obviously that game has gone absolutely nowhere so I tried coming back to FFXI but quickly saw the way it had changed with the advent of Abyssea. At first, it seemed fantastic. A month later, I had completed everything and didn't know what to do. So I quit again and now I'm stuck capping out every class on XIV until maybe, one day, it becomes something that doesn't resemble flaming shit.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Raen Ryong View Post
    Lack of a real future. Abyssea was awesome but it shouldn't be the be-all-and-end-all of the game, and Voidwatch is awful.
    Just curious, but what do you think should be the end all of the game? I'll agree with you that VW was pretty awful, but I think Abyssea is pretty much what saves the game and would have no problem if they stuck with it (although it could be a bit more challenging).

On topic I voted for "don't have enough time" even though I've temporarily left the game (probably for a few months at this rate). But totally not surprised to see so many left because they got what they wanted and quit lol...

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

The biggest problem with FFXI right now is that you can cap out on the majority of your gear in such a short period of time now. This leaves you with very few options: grind more empyreans/relics/mythics, voidwatch, and making gil pretty much. I thought abyssea was fucking fantastic until I got nearly everything I desired, now it's just a boring grind. Only staying in the game for friends/lack of anything better to waste my time with.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I don't think there should be a final; constant progression is what keeps a game like this interesting. I agree Abyssea is a better "endgame" than old school endgame in most ways, but there should always be something beyond - and it should be substantial, not a small volume of content perpetuated via awful droprates.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

I chose "Update/Expansion" but I'm not entirely sure that sticks. I've been out for only a month or so and intended to return once the 95 patch came out, but as details got revealed and there was absolutely nothing in them to warrant my interest I figured I'd just stay deactivated. I liked the smaller-group direction we had with Abyssea but it seems we're drifting away from that. Voidwatch never caught my interest and knowing that's almost all that's planned for the future is disappointing.

Couple that with friends dragging me back to Warcraft and getting my first real chances at playing endgame in that game, which seems to be getting constant attention from the developers (who actually listen to their players, no less!) and it's getting harder and harder for me to think about returning to XI.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

From what I could see during the short time I came back, Abyssea was/is a step in the right direction, but it's all fairly short term content. I think one of the main problems is how quickly you can level nowadays. I went from 80>90 in one relatively short sitting on various jobs. One of my main memories from the old FFXI was leveling over a long period of time (and I usually enjoyed it). Now it's more like play for a few hours, cap a job, move on to the next... Not the same

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

The fact that leveling is such a quick process has shortened the longevity of this game by far, unless they really pull something out of their ass. Don't get me wrong, I hated having to spend such a long time grinding, but it did add many years onto this game. Do you think this game would be around still if they pulled an abyssea back in 2005?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I hated the grind too, when I was doing it... But that never stopped me from doing it over and over on almost every single job. In the end, I must have actually liked it. That's how I personally remember XI anyway, and they are indeed fond memories.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

sorry, i don't like suffering/being punished to play. i know that's nearly a given considering it's a SE game, however the old style of leveling can suck my balls. do not want, will not do again.

reasons i've quit before? got tired of LS drama, shit drops (back in the day jailor drop rates, slavage), connection troubles (playing in afghanistan on a bad satellite connection). reasons i came back? friends.

New Odin
    BG Level

I always told myself I'd quit once I had to leave for army at the age of 19.

Well, that's what I did. Conveniently I also finished leveling my third and final job, as well as obtained full usukane set which I always saw as my ultimate goal... Not to mention everyone in my salvage LS pretty much got their time's worth of stuff too (which makes me pretty proud, managing semi-casual LS for years is some tough shit), so I decided it's time to go. No regrets really. And I know I'm not coming back either (aside from playing with a friends char once in a blue moon maybe). Magian system sounds boring as fuck.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

I originally quit while still interested in the game (Early 2010) to get my life back on track and to try to break the vicious cycle. Came back for about three months right after the final abyssea expansion and had fun doing new things with my friends, but eventually school load got high and I didn't want to make the same mistake twice. I'm back now at a 4 year and I want to try getting back into it, but it seems like once you break the connection for good the first time it's hard to renew it.

If FFXI were still a huge time sink I might actually be more interested in it, as odd as that sounds. I play games casually now, but I don't like a casual feel to games.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    I always told myself I'd quit once I had to leave for army at the age of 19.

Well, that's what I did. Conveniently I also finished leveling my third and final job, as well as obtained full usukane set which I always saw as my ultimate goal... Not to mention everyone in my salvage LS pretty much got their time's worth of stuff too (which makes me pretty proud, managing semi-casual LS for years is some tough shit), so I decided it's time to go. No regrets really. And I know I'm not coming back either (aside from playing with a friends char once in a blue moon maybe). Magian system sounds boring as fuck.
    I quit because this guy stole all my Usukane!

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Billy Bobe
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

I've never really been in an end game linkshell, usually just a friendly linkshell with people that help each other out, I always make a few friends that I keep in touch with more than others that I know I can get stuff done with.

Over the course of a month or two everybody slowly dissapears and I am left with nobody to do anything with...so I eventually stop playing myself. I always come back and the cycle repeats.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gigarator View Post
    I quit because this guy stole all my Usukane!
    I did borrow one faith torque once... Probably nothing to do with it tho!

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmagi View Post
    The fact that leveling is such a quick process has shortened the longevity of this game by far, unless they really pull something out of their ass. Don't get me wrong, I hated having to spend such a long time grinding, but it did add many years onto this game. Do you think this game would be around still if they pulled an abyssea back in 2005?
    FFXI has never had much endgame content, and no real PvP which can add years onto a game's life. They've always used "stalling" tactics like super long grinds, low droprates, long travel times etc to disguise this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast