Closed Thread
Page 91 of 151 FirstFirst ... 41 81 89 90 91 92 93 101 141 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Watched Umbrella Academy. If they release a season 2, I will watch it. If they don't release a season 2, I don't think I'd recommend people watch the first season.

I didn't read the comicbooks beforehand, but here is a more drawn out take:
    Spoiler: show
    You could say that it's an X-men clone, but I'd say the setting is more of a cross between The Royal Tenenbaums and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Kids with a shitty, eccentric father have kind of random powers of varying strengths. They are all moody 20-somethings now who reconvene on their childhood home to mourn (or celebrate) the death of their father. They litigate their grievances with each other over the next ten episodes while trying to save the world.

Pros:
    Some of the characters were generally interesting non-tropes.
    The characters were very accepting of each other's oddities/damage, which was unusual but enjoyable.
    Some of the actors were pretty good
    Netflix continues to invest in classic tracks for their soundtracks and I can't hate it

Cons:
    There is a twist or two, but it's trope-y enough that I pretty much called the major story twists in episode 1.
    Some of the characters were 1D, which is probably a shared failure between those actors and the writers.
    I'm fucking tired of shows where guns are going off all the time and no one ever gets hit.

I guess in summary, the concept wasn't really unique enough to lead me to recommend this with the mediocre execution that it got. They have the funding and some usable elements, though, so if they make a killer second season then it would probably be worth watching all of it.
    I agree with everything you said. It kind of reminded me of Baby Driver which is a movie I disliked because it seemed like the director tried really hard to be cool. It was also a lot like Haunting of Hill House but with superpowers and inferior execution.
    Overall, 6 out of 10 for me. Lots of episodes drag and I felt no character got enough time to be developed. Few characters are completely pointless like the cop lady.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

PS. skimmed the thread after I made my post and started watching The Night Comes for Us

Spoiler: show
    Holy shit, even the little girl gets a few stabs in.

Watched 2nd season of Dragon Prince... fkn 9 eps

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Just finished season 2 to. Really hopes this runs for awhile. Good world building and feels more Avatar then Korra did. More interesting characters and a good mix of seriousness and light hearteness.

And the animals. Could probably make a plushy line out of them.

It's a good show, just that 9 eps at a time makes it sooooooooooo slooooooooooooooooow. Especially since episodes are only 25 min :/ BLARG.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

Really enjoying Russian Doll.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Watching Umbrella Academy and it's such a trip that Hazel is the serial killer from Mindhunter. He plays these parts so well.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I agree! That show was terrific except the last 5 minutes of the season.

Hazel is easily the best part of the show. Mary J Blige didn't fuck around either.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

I might be late to this show but I binged all 4 seasons of Rectify, loved it, great story, characters, and really good acting by everyone on the show.

I just got through Russian Doll. I enjoyed it.

Yeah same, was a nice short series with a satisfying conclusion. Some weird bits and nothing was really convincingly explained, but they played the whole thing out well and it was fun to watch so I didn't really care.

Umbrella Academy was...OK? I liked parts of it but it was super predictable and some of the melodrama was awful (as well as some of the stupidity just to "move" the plot). Hazel and Cha-Cha were amazing though. Need a Doctor Who spin off with these two and they just go around fucking shit up.

Ohhhh here we go:
    ‘Haunting of Hill House’ Renewed as Anthology, Creators Ink Overall TV Deal at Netflix

Edit: It's going to be called "The Haunting of Bly Manor" based off of the book "The Turn of the Screw"

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Greedouw View Post
    Ohhhh here we go:
    ‘Haunting of Hill House’ Renewed as Anthology, Creators Ink Overall TV Deal at Netflix

Edit: It's going to be called "The Haunting of Bly Manor" based off of the book "The Turn of the Screw"
    Oh baby.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The eight episode psychological horror series enters the world of Ares, a secret student society in the heart of Amsterdam where best friends Rosa and Jacob surrender to a world of wealth and power. But slowly they start to realise they’ve entered a demonic place, built on secrets from The Netherlands’ past. A place where true power comes at a terrible price.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

On episode five of Happy! and I’m fucking loving this show. The writing is fun, the characters are all likable, and the black comedy is on point. It’s such a fresh take on the oversaturated crime drama genre.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

AT&T forced out the heads of HBO (and Time Warner) and are going to push HBO to develop more in-house content.

Get ready for a version of Netflix that doesn't understand analytics and funds even dumber stuff.