• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Unable to uninstall CCCP/Windows Media Player Classic issues

So I recently downloaded some dual-audio files but when opening them in WMPC I couldn't change audio or subtitle tracks (one one audio track was listed, and no subtitle track was displayed). And trying to play in VLC, the video was distorted. So I tried updating CCCP but when the installer tried uninstalling the old version it gave an error, and trying to run the uninstaller by itself doesn't work either. It gives the error message "The uninstall log file "C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\unins000.dat is in a format not recognized by this version of the uninstaller. Cannot uninstall."

Anything I can do to fix this whole mess?

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I would recommend just deleting WMP/CCCP all together, then reinstalling the whole package. It isn't worth the time to fix the files and troubleshoot a single file problem.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

By deleting, you mean just deleting the CCCP folder in program files? I assume there's more to it then that isn't there?

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Does it give you a choice of whether or not to uninstall the old version before installing the newer? If so you could install over it, then uninstall and hopefully have it clear everything out.

If not I was thinking you could find the installer for the version you currently have, but I'm not seeing any archives. If nothing else try their IRC channel, there's nothing I saw in the FAQ but maybe they've dealt with it before.

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Caiyuo View Post
    Does it give you a choice of whether or not to uninstall the old version before installing the newer? If so you could install over it, then uninstall and hopefully have it clear everything out.

If not I was thinking you could find the installer for the version you currently have, but I'm not seeing any archives. If nothing else try their IRC channel, there's nothing I saw in the FAQ but maybe they've dealt with it before.
    Reinstalling it sometimes does not repair the registry files associated with it, but, yes, this is what I meant.