+ Reply to Thread
    2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

My sister needs out of her lease, and we just found a HUGE fuck up in her contract

My sisters apartment complex at her university is HORRIBLE. To make it worse, she found black mold in the building and they "fixed it." after she bitched about it for a month. this was in july, fast forward to today(end of september) she can't take it anymore and she's still having really bad symptoms of black mold posoning.

She's really stubborn and didnt get out of the lease in july when she had a chance, but now my parents are going there to try to get her out of the lease before they threaten legal action due to her being so ill because of the horrible standards of the building.

My sister emailed us her lease, and look what we found on the first fucking page.

The idiot who did her contract labelled the end date of her lease as 7-31-2011. unless there's a clause about typos, isnt this a turn in our favor?

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Hard to say. An attorney can argue she signed it with an obvious intention of a one-year lease. Being stupid, the guy who wrote the typo, isn't a crime. Legal action against the black mold making the apartment unsuitable, thus demanding a voiding of the lease, is probably a better course of action.

I pullout to go pee.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Winterhoof

Eh I wonder if it's like when a cop puts the wrong SS# on a ticket because the ticket is then thrown out.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

Not really a typo since it's written incorrectly, but yea, if she can provide some sort of documentation that she is getting treated for black mold poisoning that was not properly taken care of you can threaten legal action. Buildings have to be maintained to a certain standard. The wrong end date is irrelevant since she is still living there after the date so both parties are under the correct assumption the incorrect date was written there.

Quote Originally Posted by bechyni View Post
    Eh I wonder if it's like when a cop puts the wrong SS# on a ticket because the ticket is then thrown out.
    My dad has had a few tickets not thrown out over stuff like incorrect information of his written on the ticket, and some thrown out, not sure. I think it just comes down to who wrote it and whether they were writing it honestly or just doing the whole "HEY TICKET EVERYONE CAUSE WE NEED TO UP OUR NUMBERS" thing a few precincts were found to be doing around here.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The black mold is going to get her out of the lease by default if it wasn't properly taken care of. On top of that, she may be entitled to some compensation to pay for her medical bills too.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Im a little confused with the dates... 2/11/11 and 8/01/11. Your sister moved in in febuary but the lease didnt start till august, and black mold was treated in july.

I'm sure your sister can get the lease thrown out due to wrong date on a legal document.

Edit: is your birth certificate good if it has the wrong birth date?

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Vandole View Post
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I think I found your problem.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

She obviously doesn't need to get out of a lease that already expired~

Shadow of the House of Weave
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Edgie View Post
    Im a little confused with the dates... 2/11/11 and 8/01/11. Your sister moved in in febuary but the lease didnt start till august, and black mold was treated in july.
    You can probably sign your lease before it's about to end, especially if it's a university based apartment and you know you will be attending next semester. She lived there for some period of time before February on a previous lease, signed it in February to say she would be staying for another year once the previous lease ended. This new lease took effect in August (about the time school starts) and goes (if it was correct) until July of next year, about mid summer break. This would then be her second lease signing at the apartment (Probably August 2010-July 2011, and now August 2011-July 2012).

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I can only "X"nd taking the mold approach. Documentation is everything in this case. Gather it all up, it will serve you well. I have to say, you have a solid chance of getting out of it with that alone, and getting medical bills taken care of. I had a collegue go through the exact same thing and having the equivalent of a doctors note saying his family's sickness symptoms were from mold got him out of a lease, his doctor bills paid for, and a new apartment lease with the same company, for considerably cheaper.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Bregor View Post
    I think I found your problem.
    i told her the same thing years ago.

edit: just found out she got a doctors note about the mold poisoning today. so yeah fuck university edge

Old Merits
    BG Level

Is your sister hot?

MOOSE VOUCHER
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Need nudes to properly assess the situation.

Honestly disappointed nobody else has said this.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Probably because i have a banhammer. However im too lazy to do anything via iphone.. Blue gayter seems to think im atttractive so you would probably think she's attractive. That's all you get, lol.

Spoiler: show
    you win this time, DINKELBURGGGGG!

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...aith+agreement

You won't get out of the contract due to a typo, in short. Contracts are generally inherently made in "good faith", meaning without the intent to defraud. This is the same reasoning cops use to arrest you even though the name on that arrest warrant in their hands has your name misspelled.

You'll have to prove your case about the black mold in order to break the agreement, and show that the university housing is providing an environment that is not habitually safe. Gather up all records you have about the incidents regarding the mold (if someone entered your living space, generally they have to provide a work report detailing what they did) and contact a lawyer.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azull Abaddon
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

If the place is unhealthy to reside in as a dwelling then the place she is leasing from has broken the lease.

http://www.mslawyer.com/statutes/landlord.html

Sec. 89-8-23. Obligations of landlord

(1) A landlord shall at all times during the tenancy:

(a) Comply with the requirements of applicable building and housing codes materially affecting health and safety;

(b) Maintain the dwelling unit, its plumbing, heating and/or cooling system, in substantially the same condition as at the inception of the lease, reasonable wear and tear excluded, unless the dwelling unit, its plumbing, heating and/or cooling system is damaged or impaired as a result of the deliberate or negligent actions of the tenant.

(2) No duty on the part of the landlord shall arise under this section in connection with a defect which is caused by the deliberate or negligent act of the tenant or persons on the premises with the tenant's permission.

(3) Subject to the provisions of Section 89-8-5, the landlord and tenant may agree in writing that the tenant perform some or all of the landlord's duties under this section, but only if the transaction is entered into in good faith.

(4) No duty on the part of the landlord shall arise under this section in connection with a defect which is caused by the tenant's affirmative act or failure to comply with his obligations under Section 89-8-25.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Thanks. I wrote my dad about it and he's driving out there now and he's going to give them the option to let her out of the lease by the end of the month or any future endeavours will be disussed through lawyers basically. We're not out to fuck them but if they don't let us out of it, it's hopefully going to happen.

My sister is a cold bitch, and for her to call me crying in hysterics about how she thinka the mold poisoning is going to keep her from getting into grad school makes me want to choke a bitch.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azull Abaddon
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Be sure to get something in writing saying she is being let out of her lease with no penalty. The property may be assholes and sneakily file a collection on her. If they do its easy enough to fix if you have the termination in writing.