+ Reply to Thread
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Laptop keeps turning itself off?

And i don't know how to figure out what's causing it or how to make it stop. It seems to do it mostly when i am browsing the internet and have itunes playing some music or even youtube has the same effect. It's not restricted to just that though. It's happened with ffxi in the past (not done it playing ffxi for quite some time though) and most recently yesterday switched off twice trying to install MS visual studio.

Had just been bearing with it but yesterdays episode pissed me off.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

usually in this instance a shutoff is due to thermal issues (overheating)
    the CPU, depending on who makes it will shut itself off or clock itself down heavily before shutting off if its getting too hot. the video card could also do that if its shorting out

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I had wondered this but i'm not sure. My laptop certainly gets hot although it does seem to vary. Some days it's not too hot (to touch) whereas on other days if i was to touch it for too long it would burn my fingers.

Saying that i have known it to be really hot and not knock itself off whereas other times it will go off and feel quite cool.

Might just end up buying a new one in a few months, this ones getting on a bit now. Would be nice if i could figure this out though.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Can you look at the event viewer? Would probably say what caused it or give you a hint. Installing a temp monitor might eliminate the thermal issues as a cause as well. What part are you touching that gets hot enough to burn you and where is the heatsink and fan compared to that point?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by idklol View Post
    I had wondered this but i'm not sure. My laptop certainly gets hot although it does seem to vary. Some days it's not too hot (to touch) whereas on other days if i was to touch it for too long it would burn my fingers.

Saying that i have known it to be really hot and not knock itself off whereas other times it will go off and feel quite cool.
    Its pretty difficult to understand if its overheating or not merely by touching the outer shell. Case temp depends on the model, certain laptops do heat up like a bitch while some others are relatively easier to touch. it is the CPU/video card temp. that matters and shell temp isn't and indicator.

Old Lady Harem of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mne Jing
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Definitely going with overheating on this one. Quickest fix might be to get some compressed air and blasting the shit out of it.