1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 15 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 44 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 16 hours, 15 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 17 hours, 44 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aggro Mechanics     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Xaru

Aggro Mechanics

I've searched around and can't find a conclusive answer to this yet. Do we know how aggro works yet?

Some monsters seem to be sight, or sound, or both. Some change behaviour if you slow-walk past them and their range seems to vanish or be really narrow. Others seem to leave you alone if you choco.

Am I just imagining this or is it all down to server lag?

Yes mobs aggro by different means and at different ranges.

ex.
    Yarzon; sound, huge
    Imps; sight, narrow
    Efts; stupid AI, detect from a reasonable range but move and recact like they've got the downs.

And yes, lag does play a part in a lot of things, often mobs won't detect you if they haven't loaded on your screen yet. For instance entering Cassie hollow the bats won't aggro if you run straight through and they don't have time to appear on your screen.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Gigantoads: sight, extremely narrow and short
    Drakes: sound, pretty large
    Wisps: sound, huge
    Gnats: sound, normal
    Skeletons: sound, kinda big
    Diremites: sound, large
    Antlings: sound, normal
    Amal'jaa: sight, normal
    Ixali: sight, normal

etc.etc.etc.

this is not conclusive, but here's some things i noticed while playing with others.

from lvl. 1-14 if you are in a duo pt, you will not pull a link.
    but if you are in a trio, you will pull 1 link if mobs are close enough.

however, in a duo, if someone is lvl. 15 or above, you will pull 1 link.

i imagine the linking increases as more pt members are present.

Toads: Sight
    Raptors: Sight

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Dunemaul

4 people can link 2 Extra mobs at 15+. a total of 3 mobs at the same time.
    At 8 people i have gotten link4 with a total of 5 mobs at the same time. This was at 30+

Also worth noting, something I just found out the other day, some mobs "link" in the same manner as XI (not the new link system, no animation, don't have to be in pt).

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I have only had one link ever happen while solo and it was on an incredibly low-level mob that I probably two-shot. I think it was on an Aurelia in Shposhae... but I have fought tons of crap in Shposhae without one-shotting, and have never linked other than that one time.

Also, next patch (I think) was going to restrict linking to only the same type of mobs as the initial aggro. So pulling a drake in the Amal'jaa stronghold isn't going to link the 500 nearby Amal'jaa, only the nearby drakes.

I never saw it happen till a few days ago, was passing by the apkallu in Coerthas and they link just like mobs in XI do.