Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Curt Schilling's embattled 38 Studios has declared Chapter 7 bankruptcy (liquidation), as Rhode Island and federal authorities open an investigation into how the company handled its finances.

WPRI reports the state police, attorney general's office, U.S. Attorney's office and the FBI will investigate 38 Studios, "both the money that came from the state as well as the money that came from Bank Rhode Island." The Providence Journal confirmed the bankruptcy this afternoon.

Beyond the controversial tax-payer backed loan of $75 million to 38 Studios, the Bank Rhode Island reportedly loaned the developer $8.5 million earlier this year against tax credits that haven't materialized.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/07/38...-begins-regar/
    http://blogs.wpri.com/2012/06/07/us-...r6ZVlw.twitter
    http://news.providencejournal.com/br...dios-decl.html

Daniel Rand
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

curt schilling is bankrupt theyre saying, just took a leave of absence from espn. Man this sucks such a good game with so much potential.

Former Red Sox star Curt Schilling said Friday that his Rhode Island video game company, 38 Studios LLC, went bankrupt two weeks ago largely because it couldn’t raise more money from outside investors.

“One of the going concerns from Day One – and it was always something that we were cognizant of – is we needed to raise capital,” Schilling said in a radio interview on the Dennis & Callahan sports radio show on WEEI in Boston. “We tried for a long time to do that and it didn’t come to fruition.”

Schilling, who founded the company six years ago, said he personally invested more than $50 million in the company, in addition to $5 million to $10 million from other wealthy investors and a $75 million loan guarantee it received from the state of Rhode Island to entice it to move to Providence last year. But Schilling said it wasn’t enough to remain in operation until it could complete its flagship project, a online multiplayer role-playing game code-named Copernicus, which was scheduled to be released next June.

“The one thing we always listed as a going concern we couldn’t execute on,” Schilling said.

The interview was Schilling’s first since 38 Studios filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy on June 7. The company laid off all its workers, roughly 400 people, in late May. The company reported it owed money to more than 1,000 people and companies, most of whom likely won’t recover any money. In its Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing, 38 Studios reported that it owed more than $150 million, mostly to the Rhode Island Economic Development Corp., and that it had less than $22 million in assets.

Schilling said he was “tapped out” and didn’t have anything left to put into the company to keep it afloat.

“I put everything in my name in this company,” Schiling said, adding that he wasn’t looking for sympathy. “I believed in it. I believed in what we built. I never took a penny in salary. I never took a penny for anything.”

Schilling could be personally on the hook for some of the losses. RBS Citizens, better known as Citizens Bank, sued Schilling for $2.4 million in loans to 38 Studios that it says Schilling personally guaranteed. He said he told his family last month that “The money I saved and earned playing baseball was probably all gone…Life is going to be different.”

The company, which missed its May 15 payroll, also reported that employees were owed millions of dollars in back wages. Schilling acknowledged that workers didn’t have any warning about the company’s financial troubles.

“The employees got blindsided,” Schilling said. “They have every right to be upset. I always told everybody if something were going to happen, you‘re going to have a month or two of lead time, and I bombed on that one in epic fashion.”

Schilling said the company collapsed quickly. He said the firm was on the verge of signing a deal with a major video game publisher worth as much as $35 million for a sequel to the first single-user game it released in February, “Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.” But he said talks collapsed after Governor Lincoln Chafee publicly said a month ago that it was trying to find a way to keep the company solvent, the first public indication that 38 Studios was in financial trouble. Schilling also said the company didn’t immediately see an infusion of cash from sales of its first game, because the initial sales first had to be used to payback the game publisher, Electronic Arts, which had provided the company with an advance.

Schilling said an investor “at the end” promised to write a check for $15 million to $20 million to salvage 38 Studios if the state of Rhode Island agreed to give the company $6 million in tax credits and renegotiate the loan guarantee so the investor was first in line to be repaid. “If that happened, he would come in and save the company,” Schilling said. But the state refused.

In addition, Schilling said he was puzzled by comments accusing him of being hypocritical for seeking the loan guarantee and tax credits from the state of Rhode Island, despite his political advocacy for smaller government. He noted that tax credits were available to all companies that invested in film or video-game production in the state.

“I don’t know how that correlates to this,” he said.

Schilling added, “I don’t have any problem with government helping entrepreneurs and businesses.”
    http://www.boston.com/businessupdate...eaK/story.html

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Does that mean that there is still hope for a patch to fix the loads of glitches still present?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

only if some fan puts together a patch or some other company picks up the IP

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I don't get it? They can release a DLC but they can't put together a patch? I assume that was a trailer for a DLC anyways.

That was a trailer for their cancelled MMO project. The company is completely dead. Did you miss that shitstorm or something?

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Arelian View Post
    That was a trailer for their cancelled MMO project. The company is completely dead. Did you miss that shitstorm or something?
    I knew about the shitstorm, but didn't know about any cancelled mmo project, and figured that the video was actual news for something since it was posted in the thread today.

Tonko

Some Slowpoke fatherfuckers in here. lol

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Remastered Edition Coming September 8th
    The hit RPG returns! From the minds of the bestselling author R.A. Salvatore, Spawn creator Todd McFarlane, and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion lead designer Ken Rolston comes Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning. Remastered with extended content, stunning visuals, and refined gameplay, KoA delivers intense, customizable RPG combat inside a sprawling game world.
    • Uncover the secrets of Amalur, from the vibrant city of Rathir to the vast region of Dalentarth to the grim dungeons of the Brigand Hall Caverns.
    • Rescue a world torn apart by a vicious war and control the keys to immortality as the first warrior ever to be resurrected from the grips of death.
    • Enjoy countless sidequests rich in political intrigue, romance, sinister magics and even whimsy – all central to the primary mission.
    • Extend your experience in Amalur with all DLC from the original release, from Teeth of Naros to Legend of Dead Kel and more!
    • Improved graphical fidelity including Native 4K support!
    https://amalur.thqnordic.com/

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I am curious about the new expansion. I don't know if the game was good enough to play through in its entirety again, but the new expansion does give me a hope that there will be a sequel at some point.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The zoomed in camera was of the most annoying things for me with the game.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    The zoomed in camera was of the most annoying things for me with the game.
    Yeah, I couldn't play the game because of the FoV. It literally made me nauseous. First game that ever did that. Which is a shame, because I really wanted to play it.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Wasn't this the game Curt Shilling lost 50m over?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

sure is (though i believe the bulk of the actual losses fell to the state of RI, who backstopped the studio to get them to relocate). my main question is if he still has any stake in this game; hope it bombs if that's the case lol.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moridam View Post
    my main question is if he still has any stake in this game; hope it bombs if that's the case lol.
    No. THQ Nordic owns the IP out-right.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-new-expansion
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning will finally receive its new expansion Fatesworn on 14th December for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

Fatesworn continues the journey of the player's Fateless One character after the Crystal War, now tasked with defeating the God of Chaos.

The expansion adds a considerable amount of content, including a new storyline, new areas, quests and missions, and procedurally generated Chaos Realm dungeons across the map.

There's also a new gameplay mechanic involving "chaos" that's connected to weapons, enemies, rifts and portals.

In addition, the level cap will be raised to 50 and there will be new items, weapons and armours.

A new soundtrack from British composer Grant Kirkhope has also been added (best known for his work on Rare titles like GoldenEye 007, Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64 and Perfect Dark).