FFXIV Character
    Laude Valiquette
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Installing new RAM sticks, PC won't boot. Halp.

Incoming PC nub.

Windows 7 64-bit
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDX945FBGIBOX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103675
    Graphics: ASUS ENGT430/DI/1GD3(LP) GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121397
    Mobo: ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131660
    Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231253

Long story short, trying to install two more of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231253 (I already have 2 of those installed on my mobo, want 2 more) but my PC won't boot up with all 4 in. I tried with 3, it booted up, but froze on the mobo logo screen (not sure what to call it, I'm not very tech savvy, haha). I made sure the little clamps are secure and everything, and that they're not loose.

Basically wondering if I'm retarded or if my mobo is being retarded.

This is my mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131660

Any help is appreciated :D

EDIT: Added specs <_< Shoulda done that from the start lol

2nd EDIT: An old co-worker just informed me 64-bit systems don't support more than 4GBs of RAM, but will still see what anyone here says, I like multiple opinions.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

It's 32-bit systems with the 4GB RAM limitation, not 64-bit. What exactly does it do when all 4 sticks are in? Are all 4 sticks from that same memory set you listed i.e. identical? Try limiting it to what works first and then get into the BIOS to see if there isn't something indicating what you're experiencing or a setting to change. From the reviews on newegg multiple people have used the mobo with 64-bit systems so it doesn't sound like you should be having a problem in that regard.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Laude Valiquette
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

When all 4 sticks are in, the computer "turns on", but the system doesn't boot. There's even a red light next to the RAM ports that most likely means there's something wrong, so it won't boot. What works, is the 2 sticks I already had in the computer. I can't do 3 or 4, although with 3 it DID boot, but like I said, it froze on the mobo screen and I couldn't do anything, so I had to turn it off. And yeah, the sticks of RAM are the same as the initial 2 already have installed. They're all identical.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Just thought to ask since for that hardware you listed, 64-bit and therefore more than 4GB memory should be fine. Read through some of the newegg reviews and while there might still be hope, it sounds like someone else had a similar problem:

4 out of 5 eggsVMware ESXi Whitebox MoBo

Pros: I was looking for a decent MoBo for a VMware Whitebox ESXi deployment. This MB works fine for ESX but I have discovered a coupleof issues. Loaded with AMD Phenom x6 Core 3.2gz along with a 600GB Raptor and 3 SSD drives. 16GB of Ram. This is a great box for VMware ESX.

Cons: This is the second mobo for this whitebox ESX rig. For whatever the first one slowly started to fail. Booted fine for a couple of months. Then it might take powering on and off a couple of times. This got worse to the point it would not boot. It would reliably boot with 2 4GB Sticks of Kingston value RAM 1333 but not with 4 sticks. Couldn't figure it out. Ran Memtest on the memory for 1 day with no errors. Changed out CPUs, drives etc. Finally threw in the towel and replaced the mobo. All works fine now

Other Thoughts: When using with VMware ESXi, make sure to use Bios version 2006. The later ones will work but will drive you insane. Also make sure C1E support is disabled or the clock will forever fall behind and drive you mad.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Laude Valiquette
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Damn. Guess that's what I get for getting a budget mobo, haha.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

lol from what I've heard newegg's pretty good about things like this and might even have a replacement out to you before it makes it back to them.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Did you check to see if there was an updated bios from the manufacturer?

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Did you try the 2 new sticks alone to see if it boots?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Laude Valiquette
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

A fucking retard is I.

So I tried Melena's suggestion, didn't work. Computer was beeping at me hardcore, obviously because I did something wrong. So i was like, ok, lemme put my original two sticks in. Same result. I freak out thinking I fucked something up on my mobo while putting the sticks in. I double check to make sure the RAM is all the way in and the clamps are secure. Well what my dumbass didn't know is THERE'S A LITTLE NOTCH ON RAM STICKS THE CLAMPS SLIDE INTO. And I really gotta fuckin push them in there pretty hard to get them to go in. PC booted up with original two sticks. Me, being the absolute genius I am, tried putting the 2 new sticks in now, KNOWING THIS AMAZING KNEW KNOWLEDGE. Works fine now with all 4 in, lol.

A round of facepalms are in order good sirs, lol.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

lol, it's one of those dumb discovery things, I don't think anyone really thinks to push that hard on something like that on their own.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Laude Valiquette
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Lol, yeah. I had this PC built by someone a couple of years ago, and I made upgrades to it last year with help yet again. The only thing I've really done myself is changed the graphics card and now, the RAM, lol. I should really learn how everything works because I'm not always going to have friends around to help me do this, like with what happened now haha.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Laude Valiquette
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Well shit, I just BSOD'd for the first time ever on this PC. I had Avast! running, and was just reading a thread in General when it happened. When it booted back up I started up in Safe Mode but I'm not even really sure what to look for while in Safe Mode besides trying to run Avast! again to see if it was the problem but it wouldn't work without networking I guess, so blargh. >_< Restarted normally now and I guess I'll have to wait and see if it does it again while running Avast, or if it's just BSODing no matter what I do.

EDIT: My Avast! needs an update I just noticed, not sure if that would have to do anything. Updating it now.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Laude Valiquette
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

BSOD'd again.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 24
    BCP1: 00000000001904FB
    BCP2: FFFFF88003193508
    BCP3: FFFFF88003192D60
    BCP4: FFFFF880012CF5B0
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\112911-21403-01.dmp
    C:\Windows\Temp\WER-36785-0.sysdata.xml

Halp! ; ; Was running Avast! again. Maybe that's the problem. I dunno.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

I'd maybe try the random question thread for tech, chances are you won't get many fresh eyes on an old thread with a title that differs from your current issue. In my experience, blue screens are usually hardware related but it's a complete gamble right now

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Laude Valiquette
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Heh, now that I've swapped RAM in and out of my PC, I'm pretty sure the new sticks I got are defective. So far I've only BSOD'd with those installed. So my mobo is fine after all!

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Could always run memtest86 for a few hours and let it verify the new sticks are faulty.