+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Kentucky church proving good old fashioned racism still exsists

http://www.kentucky.com/2011/11/29/1...#ixzz1fMGYhaV1

A small Pike County church has voted not to accept interracial couples as members or let them take part in some worship activities.
    The decision has caused sharp reaction and disapproval in the Eastern Kentucky county.

"It's not the spirit of the community in any way, shape or form," Randy Johnson, president of the Pike County Ministerial Association, said of the vote.
    The issue came up at the Gulnare Freewill Baptist Church, said Dean Harville, a longtime member who serves as church secretary and clerk.
    Attendance is usually around 40 people for a Sunday service at the church in the Johns Creek area, Harville said.

Harville said his daughter Stella Harville, who is pursuing a master's degree in optical engineering at a school in Indiana, brought her fiancé, Ticha Chikuni, to church in June and played the piano as he sang.

The couple performed I Surrender All, said Stella Harville, who is 24.
    Chikuni, 29, who works at Georgetown College, is black. He is a native of Zimbabwe.
    Stella Harville grew up in the church and was baptized there, but she is not a member, Dean Harville said.

Dean Harville said Melvin Thompson, who had been pastor for many years, told him in August that his daughter and her fiancé couldn't sing at the church again.
    Thompson stepped down as pastor in August, citing health issues, but he refused Harville's requests to drop the issue, Harville said.
    The new pastor, Stacy Stepp, said the couple could sing at the church if they wanted, Harville said.

In early November, Thompson proposed the church go on record saying that while all people were welcome to attend public worship services there, the church did not condone interracial marriage, according to a copy of the recommendation supplied by the Harvilles.

The proposal also said "parties of such marriages will not be received as members, nor will they be used in worship services" or other church functions, with the exception of funerals.

The recommendation "is not intended to judge the salvation of anyone, but is intended to promote greater unity among the church body and the community we serve," the copy supplied to the Herald-Leader read.

Members at a business meeting decided to put the matter before the whole church. Last Sunday, nine people voted for the proposal and six voted against it, Harville said.

There were more people in attendance, but some didn't want to take a stand, he said.

Harville said the resolution was motivated by racism and has given the church, the community, the county and even God a black eye.
    "It sure ain't Christian. It ain't nothing but the old devil working," Harville said.
    Thompson, who owns a hardware store, told the Herald-Leader on Tuesday that the proposal has been taken out of context, but declined further comment.
    Stella Harville said it has been hurtful that some members of her church family made such a decision.

"They're the people who are supposed to comfort me in times like these," she said.
    East Kentucky Broadcasting, which owns several radio stations, first reported the story about the vote on Monday.

Hundreds of people have since posted comments disagreeing with the decision, said reporter Shannon Deskins.

Johnson, with the local ministerial association, said the reactions have included heartbreak and disbelief.

"Most of us thought that we'd moved well beyond that," he said.
    Harville said he plans to ask the conference of churches to which Gulnare Freewill Baptist belongs to overturn the vote.
    Even if that happens, however, "I don't think I'll be able to go back there," his daughter said.

I pullout to go pee.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Winterhoof

All I can really do is laugh at this.

Tagus

Well... you know. A couple of generations ago they would have lynched him in Kentucky and it wouldn't have been news, and now they just tell him he can't join the church and it is news. In a way, our society is progressing.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

At least it's good to see the white pops support his daughter.

Members at a business meeting decided to put the matter before the whole church. Last Sunday, nine people voted for the proposal and six voted against it, Harville said.
    14 people go to that church?

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

I thought this had something to do with fried chicken.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by quannum View Post
    It says in the article that lots of people did not vote at all. So there are more than 14 people at the church. Unless you are being sarcastic in the sense that this doesn't represent the whole church since no one voted then, HA!

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Article says avg. attendance is 40 people. The nine/six was at a business meeting, and the article says there were more people there who abstained. Reading comprehension, good for ya.

Think Tagus nailed the takeaway, but yeah. Pretty retarded.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Abstained? lol, I love when people can't tell the difference between right and wrong.

But it's a church in the south so why am I not surprised. Oh wait, im not.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I am amused by the exception for funerals on Jungle Fevah. I wonder if any Christian songs end with "Only good negro is a dead negro"

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Keep in mind people they didn't say no black people, they just said no mixing. The blacks are welcome as long as they keep to themselves and stop stealin' deir womenz!

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Keep in mind people they didn't say no black people, they just said no mixing. The blacks are welcome as long as they keep to themselves and stop stealin' deir womenz!
    But they can have all the black wimmin they want just like back before those damned yankees foiled God's plan in the 1860s.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by quannum View Post
    um...

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I thought this had something to do with fried chicken.
    Saw "Kentucky", saw that the second word was not "Fried", stopped reading.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    um...
    maybe two of them were women and quannum only counts them as half people

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

there was a really great quote from that Thompson guy... hold on, let me find it

edit: ah, here it is.

"I am not racist. I will tell you that. I am not prejudiced against any race of people, have never in my lifetime spoke evil" about a race, said Thompson, the church's former pastor who stepped down earlier this year. "That's what this is being portrayed as, but it is not."

uh... dude, that's exactly what you're doing. why can't bigots just own up to their shit? he is certainly not the first person to discriminate against a group of people while simultaneously protesting that he has nothing against that group of people... it seems to be a fairly common mindset, really.

translation: I know what I'm doing is wrong, and I am too weak-minded to admit to my own prejudice so I'm just going to act one way and speak another.

http://www.mercurynews.com/faith/ci_19442034

Demosthenes11

I'm curious what % of the people think obama is kenyan.

Answer: 104%

How is something like this legal in 2011 is beyond me.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

American Law protects all forms of ugly racism. We just deal with it.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lucienne View Post
    How is something like this legal in 2011 is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    American Law protects all forms of ugly racism. We just deal with it.
    Well, it's more that because they don't engage in interstate commerce, they aren't subject to the federal civil-rights act. But yeah Luci, we allow freedom of expression like this moreso than in Europe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast