+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

How to make an image file smaller in size.

So I'm doing grad school applications and one of the schools want me to scan unofficial transcripts, upload it as a word or pdf, and it has to be size 1024MB or smaller. I can't get it to be less than 24KB. I sent an email to one of the professors and he said I can do it in photoshop or paint but I don't know how. I need to finish this application by midnight. Can anyone help?

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

You have photoshop? Also, it has to be smaller than a gig?

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

...save as

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

24KB is considerably smaller than 1024MB, so I think you're going to be all right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabyte

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilobyte

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I find this question amusing since it's coming from super smart math guy Woozie, but hell if I know how to solve any crazy math equations, so shrug.

As Kohan elluded, 24KB is much smaller than 1024MB..
    I think there is some confusion in the quantity youre wanting.

1024mb is actually 1GB, so im assuming the limit is actually 1024KB (which is 1MB)
    24KB is 42.666~ times smaller than the limit youre trying to upload.

So either, A) Youre uploading an invalid file type, or B) we need to clarify what units youre working with.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If for some reason it does in fact need to be smaller than 24KB (which is very, very small)

this button in MSPaint (Vista and Win7) and lower the percentage by about 10% until you get the file under the desired size.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

or C) Woozie is drunk.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

LOL I'm an idiot. But it's telling me my file is too big, but it must be an error on their part because, yeah, my file is way smaller than 1024MB. I'm just going to email professor back and see what he says about that. I can't be the only one who's having this problem.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

For all the geniuses on BG, no one figured out that he meant 24MB and 1024KB. He just switched em around.

BG Level

I haven't had that much to drink. I'm just a physicists who can't do units, apparently. They should reject me on those grounds alone.

Edit: I don't think that's the case, Maz. Let me check

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

If it's trully a 1024MB limit and it's giving you a filesize error, you have the largest transcript of all time.
    So the uploader is probably borked, or theres a unit issue.

BG Level

Max size is 1MB. File size 24KB.

I'm going to go ahead and blame it on the vodka (on an empty stomach after donating plasma). Their site is broken.

BG Level

Edit: Oh gad I'm an idiot.

The file size is 24,000 KB and the limit is 1024KB. So yes, I do have a problem. How do I make my file size smaller? If I save it as a jpg or something it's small enough, but they want it in doc or pdf.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

That sounds to be on par.
    You should also probably check to see what file types the uploader accepts.

Since it's a transcript im going to assuming youre trying to upload a .pdf (or is it some how a picture like you mentioned..?), so if youre trying to upload a .jpg or something, the uploader probably wont like it.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Edit: Oh gad I'm an idiot.

The file size is 24,000 KB and the limit is 1024KB. So yes, I do have a problem. How do I make my file size smaller? If I save it as a jpg or something it's small enough, but they want it in doc or pdf.
    HAH I FUCKING TOLD YOU GUYS YOU CAN ALL EAT DICKS

Oh Woozie I got it. Try screenshotting the forms and pasting them into paint, save as JPGs, insert JPGs into word document, BOOM.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Try editing the file juuuuust slightly, resaving it and then reuploading it. It could be that there is an error somewhere in the file that isn't preventing your editing programs from opening it, but is causing the website to choke on it when you try and upload it. Or their site could be f'ed in the .asp, but its a quick check and doesn't hurt.

Edit: How the holy fuck do you have a image file thats 24 MB? What's in it, a 2 Million DPI scan of the shroud of turin? Suggestions incoming, editing again so i dont post spam.

Edit the 2nd: if its a doc or PDF that would explain part of it. look at the file size of the images that are going into the document, and edit those accordingly. 1MB (1024KB) is really freaking small for a document limit in this day and age, so unless they require an immaculate, 2000 DPI scan of your documents you need to cut those down in size. See my previous post about how to reduce an image size in MS paint - this reduces the amount of pixels in an image. Also save the image in .jpg, it will give you a smaller file size at the cost of quality but if you can still read the document you're set. Make sure you do SAVE AS and not SAVE if your working with the original file. You dont wanna fuck up the original if you lower the quality too much when you're editing the new document.

BG Level

I scanned it at 72 dpi just like I was told. The image itself is really small in size, but if I make it into doc or pdf, it's 24,000 kb.

http://gradschool.unc.edu/admissions...tml#transcript

Please select a file to upload using the "Browse..." button below. If you experience difficulties, please contact technical support.

The file cannot exceed 1024 KB in size and should be in .doc, .wpd, .rtf, .xls, .pdf, .docx, .xlsx or .txt format. For Macintosh users, please note that the filename must include the appropriate three- or four-letter extension. Also, please do not attempt to upload a document that is password-protected or that contains macros. This will cause the process to fail.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Woozie ninja editing.

So it's 24MB then?
    What file type is it?
    Like I said in the last reply.. I would assume a pdf if it's a transcript, how do you have it as a image file?

So like Apelila said, we need info on what kind of file you have.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

A side note.. if they see that you scanned a transcript and pasted it in to a doc.. theyre going to give you a wtflol; it's kind of an odd way to do it since it's not very "professional" (it works, but it's ghetto).

Does your scanner have a scan to pdf or email option?
    As others said though, if it is an image(s) pop it in to work, and just shrink it to see if that makes any differences.

BG Level

I don't have it as an image file. I scanned the image, had an image file, but converted those to a single PDF file. I also tried pasting the image files into word. Both of those are about 24,000 KB.

Edit: My scanner does not have those options.