Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (PC/PS3/360)

http://media1.gameinformer.com/image.../cov_226_l.jpg

This is the announcement you've been waiting for: One of the most beloved strategy titles of all time re-imagined by one of the best strategy studios in the world. Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown introduces a wider console audience to what made the storied franchise great in the first place.

Unlike 2K Marin's previously announced XCOM shooter, which sparked tempers among longtime fans for turning its back on the series' cerebral roots, this title is a full-on strategy game that puts players in command of a global anti-alien defense force. XCOM's leader needs a worldwide perspective where threats are identified, populations reassured, and national leaders mollified – but a tactical mind is just as critical considering every shot XCOM's soldiers fire on the battlefield is under the player's turn-based control.

"It’s been a dream of ours to recreate X-COM with our unique creative vision. We’re huge fans of the original game and it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as X-COM," said Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. "We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise."

If you're lost, you can find out what all the fuss over the original X-COM is in the in-depth Classic GI feature we printed a few months ago (now available online for the first time), which includes rare insight from series creator Julian Gollop.

The huge feature in February's Game Informer goes into all the gory details of XCOM's destructible tactical environments, the interaction between the real-time strategic view and the turn-based combat, how the XCOM organization improves its capabilities as the war rages on, and much more.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown comes out for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC this fall. Until then, check up on our XCOM hub page all month long as we bring you exclusive new content including video interviews with the team leads and the legendary Sid Meier himself.
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...y-unknown.aspx

http://media1.gameinformer.com/image...l/cover610.jpg

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trine Traverse
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Not sure if want. Enemy Unknown is awesome(it's on Steam for a couple bucks!), but this'll just be horrible.

Spoiler: show

Fuck you ^

Looked more like a Secatoid than a Chryssalid. As long as it sticks the the roots I'm all for it. I actually play X-Com original from time to time. The fuck if I've ever been able to beat it on anything higher than a 2 though. I was goofing around on the first ufo on superhuman and holy fuck. I lost 6 soldiers to the small-medium craft...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trine Traverse
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    Looked more like a Secatoid than a Chryssalid.
    Oh yeah, it's definitely a Sectoid, I just remember Chryssalids being complete bitches. Can move across half the map in one turn and takes as much punishment as a freaking tank before going down.

Quote Originally Posted by Trocian View Post
    Oh yeah, it's definitely a Sectoid, I just remember Chryssalids being complete bitches. Can move across half the map in one turn and takes as much punishment as a freaking tank before going down.
    The worst part was when they would turn Civis into Zombies... or worse, your units. Oh look a Zombie > kill > Oh fuck another Chyssalid................

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

At first I thought I was going to have to bury this thread in an attempt to disavow the existence of that pathetic FPS which 2K Marin is responsible for.

Seeing that this is a full blown strategy/tactical remake makes me happy as fuck.

I look forward to what they can do with bases this day and age and how they can improve upon the research engineering and training portions of the game.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

gonna be awesome.

Found this to be pretty fucking awesome about the original from wiki:

As of 2010, the game holds an average magazine review score of 93.60% for the PC version[23] and 92.90% for the PSX version,[24] according to GameRankings. According to Amiga HOL database, the various Amiga ports hold the average ratings of 79% on ECS/OCS Amigas,[25] 82% on AGA Amigas[26] and 73% for the Amiga CD32 version.[27]

Since its release, the game was named the #1 PC game of all time by IGN in 2000, 2007 and 2009; the #8, #12 and #21 best video game of all time by IGN in 2003, 2005 and 2007; the #7, #15 (by readers), #3, #8, #10, #10 and #11 best computer game of all time by PC Gamer in 1997, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2010; the #22, #3 and #10 (by readers) best computer game of all time by Computer Gaming World in 1996, 2001 and 2001; the #2 best video game since 1992 by Pelit in 2007; the #35 best video game of all time by GameSpy in 2001; and the #78 best video game "to play today" by Edge in 2009. The game was also inducted into Computer Gaming World, IGN and GameSpot's Hall of Fame or equivalent in 2005, 2007 and 2003 respectively. In addition, the notorious Chryssalid alien race was ranked fourth on the GameSpot's 1999 list of the best monsters in gaming, in which X-COM was called "one of the scariest computer games ever"

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Very happy about hearing them going back to their roots.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I am excite. The cover guy's a bit too gears of war lookin', but they got the genre right this time.

Spoiler: show
    Lobster Men called, Chryssalids are small time

Fuck, the 2nd one was so much harder. Aliens took SO much more damage from the weapons.

Looks pretty decent. I really can't wait for this to come out.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDD MUST PLAY

That's pretty much how I feel lol...

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Loving the use of saturated colours....

Wonder how close it is to being done. It looks really far along.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Essentially a point blank shot, 61% to hit. If there was one thing I was okay with them changing, it was this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast