Closed Thread
Page 16 of 229 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level

I'm still neutral about spiderblack. Nothing spectacular has happened yet.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Wolverine and the X-Men and X-Men Legacy were both great AvX tie-ins I thought. Great insight of being Switzerland in this war. Although, I feel like writers are just continuing to use Chamber just to say they are using him, but not using him.... As a Chamber fan it pisses me off...

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

ultimates is killing me. i just want this arc to wrap, i want the PAYOFF. so freakin on edge.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The entire Ultimate Universe is pretty good right now. Ultimates obviously has Hickman, nuff said. Bendis is doing a good job on Spider-Man, though I really want it to get out of this whole intro phase and open up into the larger universe (Divided We Fall I guess). And it's a little convoluted, but I've been enjoying X-Men quite a bit too, though a big portion of that has to do with Medina's art.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Batwoman 12 cover(team up issue apparently)

I've recently developed a taste for comic books, but I'm having some real difficulty finding out where to start, what's worth reading, what isn't, and also importantly where I can download it from.

I'm reading a bunch of the DC comics new 52 when I can find download links, and I recently read through the increadible hulk V3, world war hulk and some deadpool stuff. (maybe only cable vs deadpool, i can't remember)

Assuming I've got all I need from DC comics, what important bits of the marvel universe am i missing? If we can keep it to stuff within the last decade or so, im not really a fan of some of the older artwork. bonus points for torrent/download links.

Celeste

Civil War, Secret Invasion, X-Men: Messiah Complex/Necrosha/etc, Avengers/Mighty Avengers/New Avengers. Lots of the stuff with Sentry. Iron-Man stuff before and after Civil War, etc.

Blackice

Infinity Gauntlet and The Thanos Imperative are a couple stellar runs as well. Fear Itself I thought was good, but if you want to read the entire thing including tie-ins you'll be reading something like 148 issues if I remember correctly.

Celeste

Quote Originally Posted by Blackice View Post
    Infinity Gauntlet and The Thanos Imperative are a couple stellar runs as well. Fear Itself I thought was good, but if you want to read the entire thing including tie-ins you'll be reading something like 148 issues if I remember correctly.
    Haha, let's not scare the fella away with Fear Itself. One of the most convoluted storylines to date.

Fear Itself or Flashpoint. The latter is why I primarily read DC.

Blackice

Haha yeah, I figured that'd be the response I got about Fear Itself. One I forgot to mention which is my favorite, All-Star Superman. It's not canon but I do believe it's probably one of the best Superman arcs out there.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Astarael View Post
    I've recently developed a taste for comic books, but I'm having some real difficulty finding out where to start, what's worth reading, what isn't, and also importantly where I can download it from.

I'm reading a bunch of the DC comics new 52 when I can find download links, and I recently read through the increadible hulk V3, world war hulk and some deadpool stuff. (maybe only cable vs deadpool, i can't remember)

Assuming I've got all I need from DC comics, what important bits of the marvel universe am i missing? If we can keep it to stuff within the last decade or so, im not really a fan of some of the older artwork. bonus points for torrent/download links.
    I personally find I can just jump in at almost any time since marvel likes to reuse the same characters that everyone should already know about but that's not for everyone. When i see a person i dont know about I just let it slide since all i need to know is it's a bad/good guy and I'm going to see the relevant info like powers etc in a moment anyway.
    If i had to make any recommendations it would be the current run X-factor starting from the Madrox mini. Hickman's fantastic four run is godly. Avoid Bendis Avengers since while he's a decent opening into avengers you're going to go wtf when you get interested in the past of the characters and discover he cant write their characterization nor does he know a single damned thing he talks about for shit. His writing style gets annoying once the novelty wears off which should be after a few issues.

Writers to go for are Hickman, Danslott, Remender and Kieron Gillen.
    Journey into mystery is amazing. TLDR Loki got resurrected by Thor and came back as a little Kid with no memory of his past. We're basically seeing a story of free will vs destiny as Loki doesn't want to be evil but everyone else is assuming he is which would probably push him that way.
    Loki has taken a liking the the internet as well and gets called a troll. This confuses him as he is clearly a half-giant and NOT a troll.

New mutants has been shit lately except for the date issue so if i can figure out which one has magma date mephisto(the devil) I'll list the issue number for you to find it.

Ultimate spider-man is a good introduction since it's basically a retelling of the whole mythos and will ensure you understand( if you don't already know your spidey stuff) enough to just break into the current Dan Slott run despite it being a different universe.

Marvel Adventures spider-man is the series for little kids but it surprisingly well written and feature's Parker's adorable hispanic mutant(she talks to animals) girlfriend called chat. They make a ridiculously adorable couple which in and of itself is amazing since the idea of Peter Parker dating anyone other than Mary Jane usually sends fans into some sort of rage. It was sadly cancelled by Marvel to make a shitty comic based on that crappy cartoon that just came out in one of the stupidest moves ever.

Morrison's X-men is a classic run already that no writer was really able to live up to after he and marvel had some sort of falling out.

Exiles is one of my favorite series of all time and it's self contained. Think Quantum leap in the MU. Random people from different universe get drafted into helping "fix" the universe and get sent to different dimension every few issues where they have to fix whatever went wrong in that place. Anyone can die since they immediately get replaced by a new person. From freeing a Magneto that wants peace between man and mutant to being sent into a world where skrulls invaded in the 1930's and have mankind fight each other in gladiatorial combat, to a world where all the science people fight giant Godzilla monsters as the voltron force. They even save the planet from being conquered via buying the last raspberry danish in a shop once after wondering how a danish is supposed to do anything which delved into a philosophy discussion before they went in, bought the danish and decided it tasted pretty good.

I have but one warning concerning exiles. DO NOT READ IT WHEN CRIS CLAREMONT WROTE IT. The man had a stroke when he was writing and it shows since it was so god awful it tanked the entire series to the point it's not recovered to this day.

X-club is a good recent book. Below are 3 images i grabbed to tickle your interest.

The dark angel saga in uncanny X-force was also one of the if not the best stories written in at least a decade. You might have to delve into the earlier Kyle & Yost run to get the idea behind the settings but I personally think if you understood the X-men cartoon as a Kid all you need to know is wolverine runs a Hit squad.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Khajit View Post
    Exiles is one of my favorite series of all time and it's self contained. Think Quantum leap in the MU. Random people from different universe get drafted into helping "fix" the universe and get sent to different dimension every few issues where they have to fix whatever went wrong in that place. Anyone can die since they immediately get replaced by a new person. From freeing a Magneto that wants peace between man and mutant to being sent into a world where skrulls invaded in the 1930's and have mankind fight each other in gladiatorial combat, to a world where all the science people fight giant Godzilla monsters as the voltron force. They even save the planet from being conquered via buying the last raspberry danish in a shop once after wondering how a danish is supposed to do anything which delved into a philosophy discussion before they went in, bought the danish and decided it tasted pretty good.
    Loved Exiles... praying so much that X-treme X-men will have the same feel...or even meet up with an Exiles team...

thanks guys! sifting through it now to find what I can get hold of. I had already read flashpoint before i started the new 52, which is whyere my interest began :D

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
    Batwoman 12 cover(team up issue apparently)
    http://www.polishtheconsole.com/wp-c...e-my-money.jpg

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

AvsX retardation train is still going strong today with no hope(no pun intended) of stopping. The secret Avengers and the Uncanny X-men are the only ones not hurt by ridiculously bad writing. AvsX was slightly redeemed by the writer this go round but the entire premise Hickman had to work with was garbage so not even he could save it.The entire thing hinges on everyone being retarded.
    Seriously guys. AvsX is horrible writing if you've got even basic Saturday morning cartoon comic knowledge.

In hulk today
    Spoiler: show
    We get to see two hulks fuck each other publicly in the middle of a crowded street.

Fantastic Four today presented us with Nazi Reed Richards.

Celeste

I feel that one of the only gems from Marvel has been Uncanny X-Force. Everything else is diarrhea.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I wouldn't go that far but Marvel's quality on many goods has dropped far enough that it pushed me into flashpoint and eventually the new 52 when ordinarily i only read 1~2 DC comics if any at all outside of misc trades like All Star Superman and Kingdom Come.

Celeste

DC was convoluted for a time. Many of the events killed off dead weight or otherwise confusing history. The new Earth 2 title is golden, for example.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Khajit View Post
    I wouldn't go that far but Marvel's quality on many goods has dropped far enough that it pushed me into flashpoint and eventually the new 52 when ordinarily i only read 1~2 DC comics if any at all outside of misc trades like All Star Superman and Kingdom Come.
    I kinda fell off with most of the new 52 comics that I was following. My friends and I went from following like 15 series altogether, to just Batman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Birds of Prey and maybe a few others. As for Marvel, at this point I'm really only following Defenders and Avenging Spiderman. Aside from that I'm kinda just randomly picking up #1s of comics that look cool.

Speaking of, Saga is fucking weird. I picked it up on a whim when I was in NYC for a concert, and told the girl I with "See, not all comics are about superheros. Some tell different kinds of stories." And then a few pages in there are people with TVs for heads fucking. Needless to say, she hasn't been converted into a comic book fan just yet.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Saga is fucking great.

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 229 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast