Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Currently cooking one of my mom's secret recipe soups (basically a beef and veggie soup) along with a chicken and onion soup of my own devising.

Pictures coming soon.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Tomorrow is my only day of finals. Afterwards I want to make something nice for myself. I considered steak originally but now I'm thinking Chili since it will last a lot longer. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Vandole View Post
    Tomorrow is my only day of finals. Afterwards I want to make something nice for myself. I considered steak originally but now I'm thinking Chili since it will last a lot longer. Thoughts?
    Chili is one of my favorite things. Made this one recently http://www.americastestkitchen.com/r...favorite-chili and it was just fucking fantastic.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Pics O' Soup

Beef and Veggie - Not nearly done yet.

Chicken and Onion - Done and on warm in the slow cooker

"Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

http://www.food.com/recipe/pasta-wit...ic-sauce-11808

Looking to make this with some alterations (reducing soem of the butter/oil, adding scallions, peper, chicken), but would like to deglaze with white wine.

I've never deglazed before... is there anything to look out for? AFAIK I know it's...

-Remove stuff from pan
    -Scrape pan, filter juice, put back in pan.
    -Heat to high, add wine, simmer off alcohol.
    -Filter again and you've your stuff.

Is filtering the filter time necessary? There's no real fats in the pan if I'm working with vegetables, yeah? Would I even need to remove the stuff from the pan?

If you can help my scrub ass it'd be much appreciated. Trying this tonight!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Deglaze = remove meat/stuff, add booze, scrape/stir with booze in there... Don't know what this filter part is... whatever you're filtering is the tasty goodness that you're after!

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by helen4u View Post
    Hello, I visited your profile at (bluegartr.com) and I find out that you're the type my heart love, I believe we suit for real love, let walk that precious thing out for heart desire, I hope and believe we match for good. When contacting reply to my mail address ([email protected]) I am waiting for the love. I am, Miss helen
    Oh what the fuck is this?

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

She wants the d.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

My fiancee brought home about 9 lbs of venison steak and 4-5 lb of ground venison from her parents' because they had too much stored and needed to get rid of it. I've never had venison, nor have I ever cooked it. Wanted to know if anyone had some good recipes for venison that they'd like to share. I've got a grill, nice, deep cast iron pans, and a crock pot.

I've found two recipes I want to try.
    Emeril's Venison with Braised Red Cabbage and Mashed Potatoes
    Robert Irvine's Venison Burgers with Apples and Mushrooms

These are thick steaks, about an inch to inch and a half thick. I understand venison is very lean and that you'd normally just sear it, about 2-3 minutes per side depending on the doneness you want. Anyone have any other tips/tricks/recipes for venison? Was thinking of making it for some friends that we're going to have over on Saturday.

EDIT: Forgot, the fiancee also wants to make Spiedies (a Binghamton thing). If anyone has an spiedie recipes for venison that'd be cool too. I was going to use this recipe for the Spiedie marinade, but was also thinking of using red wine instead of red wine vinegar.
    1 cup canola oil
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Sic itur ad astra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

My favorite recipe for venison steak is with a wild morel mushroom sauce, and since it's March, the morels should be fruiting soon if you know where to find them.

Saute the morels in butter for around 10 minutes on medium heat. Remove the mushrooms and turn the heat up to medium high. Grill the venison for about 4 to 5 minutes a side in the same pan. Remove the venison, add some more butter, and saute diced shallots and garlic for a couple minutes, then deglaze with a bit of wine (I love Marsala for this). Add a cup of cream and stir for a minute or so. Plate the venison and morels, add the sauce, and then it's good to go. A wild rice pilaf is a great side with this also.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I use an Au Poivre recipe most of the time

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/peppercorn_steak/

skip the cream personally and use a little butter/flour to make a more roux-like base.

EDIT:
    Venison is lean as fuck as you noted above. Don't cook it cold, let it get to room temp. Also, braising works but you have so little fat in the meat that it can get a weird texture if you cook it for too long.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mellema View Post
    My favorite recipe for venison steak is with a wild morel mushroom sauce, and since it's March, the morels should be fruiting soon if you know where to find them.

Saute the morels in butter for around 10 minutes on medium heat. Remove the mushrooms and turn the heat up to medium high. Grill the venison for about 4 to 5 minutes a side in the same pan. Remove the venison, add some more butter, and saute diced shallots and garlic for a couple minutes, then deglaze with a bit of wine (I love Marsala for this). Add a cup of cream and stir for a minute or so. Plate the venison and morels, add the sauce, and then it's good to go. A wild rice pilaf is a great side with this also.
    I'll see if the market near me has morels; they have a fairly good produce selection. If not, can always try Whole Foods I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I use an Au Poivre recipe most of the time

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/peppercorn_steak/

skip the cream personally and use a little butter/flour to make a more roux-like base.

EDIT:
    Venison is lean as fuck as you noted above. Don't cook it cold, let it get to room temp. Also, braising works but you have so little fat in the meat that it can get a weird texture if you cook it for too long.
    That's funny, the link you gave me says they took the recipe from Joy of Cooking, but changed the method of cooking. I didn't even think to look in my copy of Joy of Cooking. I love Steak au Poivre, and pepper in general, as does one of my friends who is coming over. This is definitely an option for Saturday and maybe leave the more luxurious (read: expensive) stuff to myself and the fiancee.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I use the Joy of Cooking. This is just the only digital version of the recipe :D

My copy is full of notes from me trying to 1-up history with failed results mostly.

That mushroom recipe looks good.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I use the Joy of Cooking. This is just the only digital version of the recipe :D

My copy is full of notes from me trying to 1-up history with failed results mostly.
    That's what happened to mine as well. They changed some of the recipes between the one I have (2010ish? edition) and the one my mom had (late 70s, early 80s) so I took all her notes and also noted the changes they made to recipes that we used. They changed their apple pie recipe, rib roast recipe, and I believe the German chocolate cake recipe as well.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

My mom told me they basically jumped up the serving sizes and got rid of a lot of now "niche" ingredients that they replaced with sugar and fats.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Anyone have any decent recipes for ham steak? My buddy's parents have a farm a few hours north of us. They slaughtered two pigs and the wife and I bought half. So we have a fuckton of pork chops, loins, ribs, sausage, bacon, and steaks. The steaks are fucking huge. About a foot long, an inch thick. Way too big to put in a skillet and fry. So I'm stuck baking them. Which I've never done.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Honey-baked ham steak is pretty simple.

You can also bake with pineapple, that will tenderize the meat a lot I usually add some coke or root beer too.

You can slowcook the ham steaks but it won't turn out as well as a whole ham roast.

You can also go the normal seasoning route like this recipe

EDIT: This is a good paraphrased slow cooker version of my favorite ham recipe Here

I don't use the maple syrup or brown sugar, opting for root beer instead or just brown sugar. I like maple glazed ham but I don't like maple syrup in the slow cooker.

The baked version of that recipe is pretty goddamn awesome. It's something like this

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Fresh pork sausage(from my friend's farm), chopped potatoes(with salt and pepper), and 2 eggs over easy. Doesn't look like much but it was fucking amazing.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Simple food is the best. Great ingredients make things better. I've got my favorite ingredient coming tomorrow, Nantucket Bay scallops. I eat half raw and then saute half with olive oil, lemon juice and salt.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

First attempt at a deep dish pizza, cooked in a 12" cast iron skillet. Made the dough and sauce from scratch. Mild provolone, mozzarella, pepperoni, sweet onions, sauce (roasted tomatoes, garlic, shallots, basil, olive oil, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes) and romano cheese. Came out pretty amazing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag