+ Reply to Thread
Page 136 of 149 FirstFirst ... 86 126 134 135 136 137 138 146 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Can you sous vide a corned beef, and if so is there any brining required before hand?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

You can sous vide anything. It's just gonna be a matter of size...if you have a big enough container and a big enough bag for your corned beef nothing's gonna get in your way.

There's only brining required if you are making your own corned beef from scratch. Beef brisket + brining with the right spices = corned beef. If you're buying a pre-done corned and just cooking it for dinner then no extra brining is necessary.

I'm not gonna sous vide my corned beef. Maybe if I were just making some corned beef for sammiches, but I want the cabbage, potatoes, and carrots all in the pool if I'm making corned beef and cabbage for dinner.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Maybe the question is better *Should* I sous vide a corned beef? I normally crock pot or oven roast, but wanted to see if anyone had experience with sous vide brisket.

I'm just worried about it consistency wise. Fat wouldnt render much at 135/140 and a badly cooked corned beef is pretty terrible stuff.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    Maybe the question is better *Should* I sous vide a corned beef? I normally crock pot or oven roast, but wanted to see if anyone had experience with sous vide brisket.

I'm just worried about it consistency wise. Fat wouldnt render much at 135/140 and a badly cooked corned beef is pretty terrible stuff.
    No, you shouldn't. There are many things you shouldn't sous vide. But you can sous vide pretty much anything, it's just a water oven.

Crock pot and stove top and oven cooked corned beef and cabbage and potatoes comes out so damn good and you can't really screw it up, and it's also like the easiest thing to cook. There aren't many ways to really shock and awe and deliver something unusual or extraordinary with corned beef.

Prime rib falls into the shouldn't sous vide category as well and ribeye is honestly borderline depending on time and effort you want to put in.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Ahh, gotcha. I haven't done it because I'm a stubborn old Irishman who doesn't feel the need to change how he cooks corned beef and cabbage. The internet says it's fine though, you're just gonna sous vide it for quite a while...like 8-10 hours depending on the temp.

Maybe I'll give it a whirl for just a corned beef to make some reubens.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Sous vide corned beef doesnt sound that great. I feel like itd be too moist, and the texture would be off. Try it though and let BG know lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Welp just got invited to help out on a smoke of 10 pork shoulders in a couple months. I may have impressed someone with my Super Bowl butt.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    Welp just got invited to help out on a smoke of 10 pork shoulders in a couple months. I may have impressed someone with my Super Bowl butt.
    *heavy breathing intensifies*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

This is an outline of all the butts.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Hello food fam. I'm back with new and improved Grilled Cheese that I've been being too lazy to upload for last few weeks lol

First prepped fixings:
    Mushrooms: Giorgio canned mushrooms sautéed in butter with shallots. Then when almost done added Brandy, thyme, garlic salt and some garlic better than bullion and cooked until liquid was mostly reduced

Onions: Yellow onions caramelized with butter and at the end when browning add a little bit of brown sugar and aged balsamic

Fixings Not pictured (sorry guys):
    2nd batch of onions. Done similar but with red onions and no brown sugar.
    Red bell peppers sautéed in avocado oil until soft then browned/blackened with cumin, cayenne peper and salt.

Time for the sammiches
    Left: Caramelized yellow onions, triple cream brie, Gruyere, and a sprinkle of gorgonzola
    Right: The mushrooms, brie, smoked provolone and gruyere

The meal is previous 2 sammiches with truffle chips, hard cider and a tomato bisque I got at Costco that I added a bunch of heavy cream, parmesan and some fresh cracked pepper and salt to

Back to the grilled cheese
    Left: The sautéed bell peppers with mozzarella
    Right: Age white cheddar, provolone, goat cheese, truffle aioli spread on both inside sides after grilling that side, and garlic salt

Last but not least
    Left/bottom: One inside side had the truffle aioli spread the other Rao's pizza sauce after grilling that side, with parmesan, asiago, garlic salt and oregano inside. Mozzarella and pepperoni on top
    Right/Top: Triple cream brie, aged white cheddar, gorgonzola, salt, the caramelized red onions and blueberry and lemon jam.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I think last night will be my last attempt at fried chicken. Did two thighs in a skillet and two in the air fryer. I believe I season them properly and the flour as well but there just never seems to be good flavor. It's cooked fine but I'm missing the exit to flavor town.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Do they come out fine frying normally?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Do they come out fine frying normally?
    The moisture and texture is fine. Flavor is non existent. I coated all 4 thighs with a salt/pepper/garlic mix. Two I put paprika and chipotle flakes. Other two roasted herb seasoning from Weber brand seasonings. I seasoned the flour with the salt/pepper/garlic and even thought I put too much seasoning in it. Wash was egg and milk. No buttermilk on hand. I'm chalking it up to this item being a thing I'm just not good at.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I mean to say different cooking methods do effect the taste particularly when removing fats from cooking. Might be worth ruling out if the air fryer doesn't work as well with those herbs and spices

Also have you tried not using a wash? Growing up we'd always just toss the chicken in a bag of flour and Johnnies seasoning salt no wash and came out great.

Also potato starch works really well for frying too

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

For dinner tonight I have one of each method to eat so we'll see if there is any significant difference. I have not tried no wash or potato starch. I'll look into it.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay. I'm kinda at my wits's end here.

Sis tends to have a problem with a rather touchy tummy now and then. My go to is a rice and a cheese casserole then but I can't make THAT all the time, considering that she's been sickish half the freakin' month this month.

I was thinking there OUGHT to be more rice + ground beef casseroles that don't take either some kinda broth or are spicy/mexican (SIS HATES SPICY, says it gives her heartburn and she won't eat it; if I want spicy I have to go outs to eat. And yes, spicy never bothered me.) other than the one; does anyone here have any bright ideas?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Hearty Frittata?

What does your sister consider to be a good food for an upset stomach?

I like to eat food
    BG Level

And what is an upset stomach?

If she's okay with some extra farts, can do rice & beans with a mild sausage. Can still use cumin, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, and a touch of chili powder without making it spicy.

Chicken salads. Not the mayo kind, but like Chicken Caesar salad or balsamic with tomato, peppers, grilled onion, feta?

Pasta with a red sauce. Avoid cream sauces if her stomach is bothering her.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

When she has the problem (due to Lymphedema messing with more than her legs), it includes wanting to throw up + lately it's been diarrhea too.

Since we got erm, THAT problem, prolly green veggies would be a bad idea. That's why i was looking into rice-y stuff. But maybe noodles would be okay too.

And that frittata idea sounds like a GREAT idea. I'm always looking for new recipes that use stuff we got on hand for good reason, since we don't have a lot. Might be able to find a few and adjust.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

She could probably use some fiber, unless there's something medically that would make that a bad idea.

Personally, eggs do not agree with my stomach so I never go that route when I'm not feeling well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag