BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Pictures weren't taken, but my wife recently made dolsot bibimbap. While we're doing a no salt diet besides what's in ingredients such as soy sauce (we use lite) this dish was absolutely amazing. I've convinced her to start a blog which she says she'll do Instagram and I'll repost stuff here. I don't just say it because it's my wife, but whatever she makes it's usually dynamite. I feel so blessed as it's opened up something I never knew existed. I used to think a Wendy's double cheeseburger combo meal was great....

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    That salsa sounds terrible. No cumin or lime juice= no thanks. Yours also adds nothing to make it more of a liquid.
    Why does it need to be liquid? Also lol to cumin. Season your food with it. Or you could add it like Zet said if you really have to. If I'm using cumin it's in the seasoning for the meat I'm eating. Lime juice is squeezed directly on to whatever it is we're eating (tacos, quesadillas, kabobs, etc) unless we're talking guacamole.

I am also one of those people that cilantro tastes like dirt (google it, it's a thing). Small amounts are ok, but I avoid it whenever possible.
    That's fine, you can obviously leave it out, but don't act like it isn't in a ton of Mexican dishes as either a garnish or as an ingredient.

Plus, more of what Zet said. You chop everything the day before and let it sit in a bowl or tupperware overnight. The juice from the fresh tomatoes coats the onion; mix it all up after and the flavors meld between everything. I actually made some last night for quesadillas. I'll take a picture later.

If you want tomato water salsa, I'd suggested roasting the tomato, onion, and jalapeno under the broiler then throwing them in the food processor. I like to use tomatillos if I go with this method.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Ugh...watery salsa. This explains so much...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Ugh...watery salsa. This explains so much...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    See, I knew we'd find the problem.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    His recipe is for actual salsa (pico de gallo). You also get a ton of juice from those tomatoes. You can also just add lime juice and cumin.

Cilantro should be banned forever.
    If I just use the tomatoes straight up it'll end up being pico de gallo, which is not what I am looking for.

As an aside, I always wondered why people think pico de gallo is "actual salsa." (I hear that all the time, you just made me think of it.) When you go to Mexican places here it's called either pico de gallo or salsa fresca. If you ask for just salsa, you get the kind of salsa I am referring to (red salsa/salsa roja). I have never heard of pico de gallo just called "salsa" by Mexicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    Also lol to cumin.
    Yeah, heaven forbid I be authentic.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I'll be honest, I didn't even see that part of the post even after I went back to look for it. My b.

If I ask for salsa at the Mexican place I like to go to for lunch they'll give me pico de gallo unless I ask for salsa verde or salsa roja. Maybe it's an east coast v west coast thing? Or even dependent on where in Mexico someone is from?

If you want watery salsa, I really do recommend using tomatillos and roasting them. Something like this. This isn't the recipe I've used before, but it seems very similar. I believe the recipe I used had more onion. I don't really follow a recipe anymore when I make it. I just throw the shit together and taste as I go.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yeah I think you guys Mexican food better than me so I'm gonna defer to the crowd on this one.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Yeah, heaven forbid I be authentic.
    Shots fired with the ninja edit.

I'm not going to argue with you about it. Just do some Googling and find a recipe similar to what you think you're looking for. I've gone through a number of recipes and maybe 1 out of 10 will have cumin in them.

If you want cumin in it, go for it. Cumin is better off as a seasoning on the meats, though. Use it in a spice blend with some garlic powder, chili powder, salt, pepper, maybe some paprika... Your meat will benefit more from the flavor than adding it to a salsa.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Shots fired with the ninja edit.

I'm not going to argue with you about it. Just do some Googling and find a recipe similar to what you think you're looking for.
    I did! That's how this convo started haha. Sorry if I am snippy, but I deal with kids not reading all day, so I can't handle this. XD

Also, I am not sure why you keep going on with cumin in the meats n' junk. I am looking to use this salsa for like chips n' stuff. Possibly in my taco dips but I usually don't put meat in that. With that said, if you google salsa roja recipes you are going to find most have cumin in it.

But rest assured, I don't only use cumin for salsa...I do use it in other things.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I look at every result when I googled Salsa Roja

Out of the first 10 results - 2 had cumin in it.

I like cumin though, use that shit.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I look at every result when I googled Salsa Roja

Out of the first 10 results - 2 had cumin in it.

I like cumin though, use that shit.

We have like two different googles or some shit.

My first two are this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...sa-roja-recipe

http://www.chilipeppermadness.com/ch...ed-table-sauce

Then there are two that don't have, then this:

http://luckypeach.com/recipes/salsa-roja/

idk, I didn't look at all of them, I wasn't looking up salsa roja initially just chunky salsa (maybe google catered based on that?), but I assumed it was in a lot based on the few I looked at. Either way, it's definitely a thing for some recipes.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I did! That's how this convo started haha. Sorry if I am snippy, but I deal with kids not reading all day, so I can't handle this. XD

Also, I am not sure why you keep going on with cumin in the meats n' junk. I am looking to use this salsa for like chips n' stuff. Possibly in my taco dips but I usually don't put meat in that. With that said, if you google salsa roja recipes you are going to find most have cumin in it.

But rest assured, I don't only use cumin for salsa...I do use it in other things.
    I started talking about cumin on meat because you said my salsa recipe didn't have cumin or lime in it. My response was that cumin was best added to meat rubs rather than being used directly in the salsa. As I said before, you can add it to whatever you want, but the recipes I've found mostly don't include cumin. When I make salsa it's a topping or addition to a dish we're having such as tacos, quesadillas, and other things I listed previously.

I don't mind cumin in dishes, but I find it to conflict with the freshness of a good salsa if I'm just chowing in on that shit. Even with rubs, I probably use about the same or less cumin than I do garlic powder because it can overwhelm a lot of other flavors.

Either way, this started with you trying to figure out what to do with fresh tomatoes versus whole canned tomatoes. I can't remember if you ever got a straight answer without me making fun of your choice to put cumin in a salsa. I suggest roasting them and then you can peel them after they char.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I started talking about cumin on meat because you said my salsa recipe didn't have cumin or lime in it.
    I mentioned it because the recipe I linked (as you said is similar) has it, and the type I like has it.

Either way, this started with you trying to figure out what to do with fresh tomatoes versus whole canned tomatoes. I can't remember if you ever got a straight answer without me making fun of your choice to put cumin in a salsa. I suggest roasting them and then you can peel them after they char.
    This is what I needed. Thanks.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

We have like two different googles or some shit.
    I'm getting same as Zet. Only 2 recipes on the first page of search results has cumin in it.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I mentioned it because the recipe I linked (as you said is similar) has it, and the type I like has it.

This is what I needed. Thanks.
    Put them in a bowl and cover them after you remove them from your roasting vessel to make them easier to peel.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Hey cooking fam. So anyone heard of/tried Butcherbox? Got a sign up deal for them thru something. The prices are a bit higher than regular grocery around here but I'd imagine higher quality and the convenience is super nice. So was wondering if anyone had thoughts

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Never used them and don;t know anyone who has. I'm skeptical of the food boxes after our Blue Apron demo. We got it for a couple months and the quality of the meats were weird. They also didn't pack the correct items or left things out. The convenience is what drives everyone to try it, but I'm keeping my distance from these services.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm leery of these box things. You are NOT getting that good of a deal compared to most grocery store. Also, grass-fed =/= prime so the prices stack even higher.

Price comparison (From Fairway and FreshDirect for me. I won't include my other meat delivery because it's all guaranteed USDA Prime and a custom box)

2 – 1lb ground beef - FD ($6x2) Fairway ($4.50x2) - 80/20 ground
    2 – 12oz tri-tip steak - Subbed top sirloin because tritip isn't available- FD($8 at 11.99) Fairway ($7.50 at $10)
    2 – 10oz rib eye steak - 10oz ribeye is tiny but w/e - FD ($10.61 at $16.99) Fairway ($12.49 at $19.99)
    1 – 16oz flank steak - FD ($15) - Fairway (No data)
    2 – 2.25lb chuck roast - FD ($7x2.25 - 15.75) - Fairway (Same)

So..... we have ~$96 bucks for FD, Fairway is about the same.

Also, it should be noted that grass-fed means about fuck all for 3 of these cuts (Flank/Chuck Roast/Ground Beef).

I think a $30 premium on top of my price (Which is admittedly close to the highest in the continental US) is a bad deal.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Whoa tell me more fairway and fresh direct and other delivery things. Like is this just some local meat delivery or some regular grocery that delivers? I'm pretty n00bish on food delivery but I'd imagine prices here are good being super market prices are and a lot of the stuff is like next town over local

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Grocery store delivery basically. I think FreshDirect is it's own thing, but Fairway, Stop and Shop, Whole Foods, etc. do grocery delivery.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag