FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    I gots a question for you culinarians.

I've been reading up on cooking oils and how I shouldn't be using pretty much any of the oils I've bought (oops) for high-heat cooking, because while they have high smoke points they are polyunsaturated fats that oxidize when cooked at high heat, grapeseed oil being the main culprit. So which oils do you all use for frying and stir frying? I am given to understand that vegetable and canola oils aren't that healthy either, and while avocado oil has a high smoke point it also has enough polys to make it unhealthy. Has anyone used ghee often? Shit's expensive but if it's healthy and works well I might hop on that or refined coconut oil.
    Use vegetable or canola oil.

Ghee is a rip, coconut oil ruins a lot of dishes.

Byrthnoth is correct. Don't worry about the oil, worry about how much shit your frying. I use my Anova and Instant Pot a ton because they require no oil and very little fat if you don't want to use it.

Everything gives you cancer. This shit will likely contribute a lot less than reading Zoner's posts.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I hardly ever fry anything tbh, I definitely don't deep fry anything. When I do fry it is usually stir fry in a wok with lots of veggies. Of course all oil can be bad for you in large doses, but I'm talking specifically which oils are the least bad for you at high heats. Which ones won't oxidize into free radicals and shit. Because my grapeseed oil apparently does, despite being an overall healthy oil I also use my instant pot a lot but it's easier for me to use stir fry to get veggies into our diet.

Speaking of which, has anyone had good results with air frying, and is it actually healthier? was thinking about getting a 2-in-1 toaster oven/air fryer that my family recommended but I haven't personally seen the results of their air frying. I would make stuff I dont make (fried chicken, french fries) at home if it's not super unhealthy and works well.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I hardly ever fry anything tbh, I definitely don't deep fry anything. When I do fry it is usually stir fry in a wok with lots of veggies. Of course all oil can be bad for you in large doses, but I'm talking specifically which oils are the least bad for you at high heats. Which ones won't oxidize into free radicals and shit. Because my grapeseed oil apparently does, despite being an overall healthy oil I also use my instant pot a lot but it's easier for me to use stir fry to get veggies into our diet.

Speaking of which, has anyone had good results with air frying, and is it actually healthier? was thinking about getting a 2-in-1 toaster oven/air fryer that my family recommended but I haven't personally seen the results of their air frying. I would make stuff I dont make (fried chicken, french fries) at home if it's not super unhealthy and works well.
    Frying is unhealthy whether it is in the air or not. Your grapeseed oil isn't significantly worse than any other high smoke point oil. Quibbles about "good" and "bad" types of fatty acids are some rounding error level bullshit designed to sell olive oil.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Since we just got our insta-pot and sous vide I don't think an air fryer is necessary. I'm going into the new year dead set on eating healthier.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Oven Fried Oyster Poboy

Roast beef poboy, bread was the weak point. Can't get good bread up here.

Sous vide char siu pork with sesame marinated carrot spirals.

Recipes on demand.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

So the pork and carrots looks amazing, but is that all you had to eat? I'm looking at that like, I could have literally 10x that and probably still not be satisfied.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Only fats you should really care about (outside of just all the calories and possible cholesterol) are trans. They are walking back a lot of the assumed fears of saturated fats. The avocado you use will be fine. Sesame and peanut pretty good too and can be found cheap. I even use beef lard sometimes. Ghee is expensive as shit though and coconut isn't really a flavor you want with most stuff and also smokes pretty low unless it's decently refined. As well as others mentioned. Just use something with an appropriate smoke point and flavor you want for the dish that fits your budget. Also using something with a non appropriate smoke point is fine too for short periods like say using butter to help sear your steak but you obviously can't reuse and gotta be careful actually burning it

Remember a lot of this can cause cancer stuff is just that the substance in some quantity possibly way more than it's possible to consume can increase your already low odds by a fraction of a percent. Like everything is different but to get the label in California it's something along the odds of 1 in 100k over 60 years... and guilty until proven innocent. So unless you see some research that shows real concerning increased I'd just chalk it up to everything in life is trying to kill you.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    So the pork and carrots looks amazing, but is that all you had to eat? I'm looking at that like, I could have literally 10x that and probably still not be satisfied.
    get some portion control in your life.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    get some portion control in your life.
    I can't argue that. If I had that for dinner, 30 minutes later I'd feel like I'm starving. That's my biggest problem with food. I guess I could just eat an entire bag of broccoli. I believe I've mentioned this before that I go from feeling slightly hungry, to starving. Then I'll eat a portion like yours and will still feel like I'm starving and then have something more and feel over full. Probably should drink a boatload of water after eating.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Eat less salt, drink more water, and just deal with it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You'll stop feeling hungry after awhile. Just ignore it. Eat less simple carbs that shit will make you hungry in 5 minutes. Try to figure out why you are hungry. A lot of times your body isn't telling you to eat more calories but that you are missing something specific. Maybe you just needed more protein or less alcohol

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    My goodness.
    This got zero attention and that is a shame. This looks delicious.

Rib roasts are on sale for another day or so at my supermarket, but I have no kitchen. I may have to pic one up and get the oven going again just to make one.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I was away for that post and I'm sad now.

All roasts and shit go on sale 12/26-27th.

I grabbed 3 pork shoulder roasts for 99c a lb.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah, forgot to post about that. Stellar work from the Boi. Is there a difference between pork shoulder roast and pork shoulder or is it just the verbiage that some use?

Did pork chops in the sous vide last night. Fucking incredible. I'm going to use the fuck out of that utensil.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Oh yeah, forgot to post about that. Stellar work from the Boi. Is there a difference between pork shoulder roast and pork shoulder or is it just the verbiage that some use?

Did pork chops in the sous vide last night. Fucking incredible. I'm going to use the fuck out of that utensil.
    Shoulder roasts can be tied if you want but otherwise nah.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Is there a difference between pork shoulder roast and pork shoulder or is it just the verbiage that some use?
    Not sure. There are different cuts of shoulder, like butt and picnic, so I'm not sure what a shoulder vs shoulder roast would be.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    Not sure. There are different cuts of shoulder, like butt and picnic, so I'm not sure what a shoulder vs shoulder roast would be.
    My grocery stores always label it either pork shoulder or pork butt. I've never seen at my local regular type grocery stores anything labeled pork shoulder roast.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

The prime rib was stupid good. Reverse sear is so great I don't even know if I'll sous vide the next one. It's amazing how little it needs to be amazing. I see these recipes where they are covered in sage and thyme and literally freaking green lol. I'll take salt and pepper and a sear any day. If I sous vide it maybe I'll cover it in shit but it's so hard when it was so good this way.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I don't have a container large enough to do a roast using the sous vide. First one I do will be using the NY Strip half loin on the pellet smoker.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    The prime rib was stupid good. Reverse sear is so great I don't even know if I'll sous vide the next one. It's amazing how little it needs to be amazing. I see these recipes where they are covered in sage and thyme and literally freaking green lol. I'll take salt and pepper and a sear any day. If I sous vide it maybe I'll cover it in shit but it's so hard when it was so good this way.
    Salt and pepper onry for me too. With some yorkshire pudding, potato, and some kind of vegetable. I usually like carrots.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag