FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I'm glad you necro'd this, because I'd like to use it to get some ideas, if that's okay. I'm looking at finally moving out, which means I'll need to learn how to cook. I need to anyway. Thing is, I'm a complete novice. I can do re-heating type stuff (frozen pizza, hot pockets, boxed mac n cheese, etc) but that's not real food and beyond that I have no idea how to even follow some of the recipes I've seen. With the Crohn's, I have some dietary restrictions. Onions and peppers are out. They do awful things to my guts. I don't enjoy super spicy food, for similar reasons. Milder spices are okay. I hate tomatoes. If I can't taste them and they're in a paste it's okay... but raw tomatoes make me gag. I'm allergic to peanuts, and possibly shellfish. Aside from that... I like a wide variety of stuff.

I'm pretty sure I have all the tools I need, and I know I can get all the ingredients. Thing is, when I read a recipe and see things like "simmer for 15 minutes" that just tells me to avoid that recipe because I don't know what simmer means. I have no experience at all.

So does anyone have some suggestions for simple, easy recipes that I can start with to learn the basics?

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Ganondorf View Post
    That cake picture game me some diabeetus. Second picture is a bonmi? Always wanted to try one. Anyone have a decent recipe for knock-off General Tso's sauce? I'll even accept a decent bottled version. I haven't had any luck finding an acceptable recipe for this stuff.
    Bahn mi.

General Tso sauce on top of my head:

1/2 cup soy sauce
    1 cup ketchup
    1 cup chicken stock
    1/2 cup sake or rice wine (NOT rice wine vinegar)
    Pepper flakes (to taste, a couple shakes should be enough)
    3 tbsp sesame oil

Combine all the ingredients in a pot, bring to simmer to cook off the alcohol, thicken with 2-3 tbsp of corn starch dissolved in water. The ketchup in the sauce should make the sauce acidic enough, if it's not tangy enough you can add a couple splash of vinegar yourself, either distilled or rice wine vinegar.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    I'm glad you necro'd this, because I'd like to use it to get some ideas, if that's okay. I'm looking at finally moving out, which means I'll need to learn how to cook. I need to anyway. Thing is, I'm a complete novice. I can do re-heating type stuff (frozen pizza, hot pockets, boxed mac n cheese, etc) but that's not real food and beyond that I have no idea how to even follow some of the recipes I've seen. With the Crohn's, I have some dietary restrictions. Onions and peppers are out. They do awful things to my guts. I don't enjoy super spicy food, for similar reasons. Milder spices are okay. I hate tomatoes. If I can't taste them and they're in a paste it's okay... but raw tomatoes make me gag. I'm allergic to peanuts, and possibly shellfish. Aside from that... I like a wide variety of stuff.

I'm pretty sure I have all the tools I need, and I know I can get all the ingredients. Thing is, when I read a recipe and see things like "simmer for 15 minutes" that just tells me to avoid that recipe because I don't know what simmer means. I have no experience at all.

So does anyone have some suggestions for simple, easy recipes that I can start with to learn the basics?
    Simmer means, you turn it to max heat until it boils, and the second it is boiling, you turn the heat down to lowest possible setting. I guess if it is "simmer for 15 minutes" the timer starts the second you turn the heat down to lowest possible setting.

beginner's recipe.. I would suggest watching any episode of Alton Brown's Good Eats, he always explain things thoroughly and the recipes are very user friendly.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Is that a red velvet cake..... I demand a recipe!!!!! Omg, it looks so good @.@

As far as learning to cook, I think one of the easiest things to make is pastas, and it allows you to experiment with a lot of ingredients (different meat types, different types of sauces, making your own sauce, adding veggies, etc) (I know when I started cooking, a lot of my pasta recipes were essentially ground beef and sauce -- maybe onions if we were feeling 'healthy'). You said you hate tomatoes, but are are ok with paste, so are tomato sauces ok? If not, can always do cheese sauces instead. I personally make pasta at least once a month and typically do onions, peppers, and mushrooms in a lot of my pasta sauces, but since you don't like 2 of those, you could try other veggies you like (carrots, zucchinis, eggplant, etc). Stews, soups, and chilli are also good, imo. They're fairly simple, require very few steps, can be let to sit for long periods of time, and also allow for mixing things together to figure out what you like. Also, a good chilli recipe is great for contests~

And simmering is just bringing to a boil, then lowering the heat and letting sit. With making pasta sauces, it's a good way to thicken up your sauce if you prefer it that way.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

lol, simmer means let the shit cook.

Never heard the phrase "simmer down"? just means calm down.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I have some pictures floating around of recent efforts.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Spoiler: show

Steak en route to delicious town

Poblano, corn, tomato and onion "Put On Everything" topping (has salt, pepper, chili powder and olive oil)

Sockeye Salmon done simply with salt and pepper. Green beans were blanched and turn finished in olive oil

R2D2 Coffee Ice Cube chillin in a hot tub of vanilla almond milk

Steak after arrival to Delicious Town

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I have five cucumbers, three tomatoes, an onion, and three ears of corn. What should I make? Don't have to use all the ingredients and I live across from a supermarket, but you have to use the cucumbers.

My CSA box is pretty good this year, but I'm still getting tired of cucumbers.

green jellybean
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    I'm glad you necro'd this, because I'd like to use it to get some ideas, if that's okay. I'm looking at finally moving out, which means I'll need to learn how to cook. I need to anyway. Thing is, I'm a complete novice. I can do re-heating type stuff (frozen pizza, hot pockets, boxed mac n cheese, etc) but that's not real food and beyond that I have no idea how to even follow some of the recipes I've seen. With the Crohn's, I have some dietary restrictions. Onions and peppers are out. They do awful things to my guts. I don't enjoy super spicy food, for similar reasons. Milder spices are okay. I hate tomatoes. If I can't taste them and they're in a paste it's okay... but raw tomatoes make me gag. I'm allergic to peanut butter, and possibly shellfish. Aside from that... I like a wide variety of stuff.

Grilled cheese, boiled eggs. pasta -- although you'd have to find a sauce you like. Things like baked chicken or fish aren't actually difficult, you just need to put them in the oven at the right temp for the right time, use a meat thermometer on chicken, fish is done when its flakey.

For veggies I like steaming them, put steamer basket in a small pot, fill with water and heat over medium heat until its steaming, then toss in veggies. Check back in 5 min, and poke with a fork until its done to your liking. This works for canned, fresh or frozen vegetables. Rice is evil, so we have bought a rice cooker and that has made life much easier

Simmer just means to cook at low heat, the food should be slightly bubbling but not boiling.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Thanks. I found a youtube channel with every episode (I think) of Good Eats and watched one about eggs, since we have some chickens and they lay way more eggs than we can eat. It was very helpful, explained everything. Exactly the type of instruction I need.

Tomato sauces are okay, as long as there's no chunks. That's what I meant by pastes. I love cheese (one of my favorite quick meals is simply pasta with mozzarella melted on top), so that's probably a better bet for sauces. Any suggestions?

I do love me some pasta. I've tried cooking some before, but since our stove is often covered in dishes I used the microwave and it didn't turn out very well.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

I wouldn't do tomato sauce for beginner pasta sauce since it takes very long to make, and you can pretty much buy a jar of already done tomato sauce and add your own stuff to it.

I'd go with white wine, lemon, and butter sauce (a very light version of beurre blanc) . VERY quick to make, and easy as hell.

Pasta: 12-15 min total

-First you boil the pasta according to the box's instruction
    -drain the pasta
    -give it a quick rinse with cold water to cool it down
    -drain the pasta again
    -set it aside in a bowl.
    -toss it with olive oil, you only want a tiny bit of oil here so the pasta doesn't stick to each other. Or you can use non-stick spray(unflavored one, butter spray sucks) while tossing the pasta instead.
    -cover and set aside while you make the sauce.

Sauce: 5 min total

ingredients for 1 portion:
    1 tbsp of sliced shallots or 3 tbsp of diced yellow/red/white onion works too if you don't have shallots lying around.
    1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
    1/4 of a stick of butter cut into tiny cubes (size of a dice)
    1 lemon, zest half the lemon, and juice the whole lemon.
    1/4 cup of white wine (preferably dry wine, sweet/fruity wine doesn't really work)
    1-2 tbsp of chopped parsley (doesn't matter which kind, I prefer flat leaf parsley as opposed to curly parsley)

1. Heat up the olive oil on a pan.
    2. Throw in the shallots or onion in the pan, cook them until they're starting brown.
    3. Once they're starting to brown, pour in the white wine into the pan. (it will be bubbling)
    4. Let it boil until the white wine is reduced to about half of its original volume.
    4. Throw in a cube of butter, stir until it dissolve, throw in another one, rinse and repeat until you run out of butter.
    5. Toss in the pasta that you've set aside into the sauce.
    6. Throw in the lemon zest/lemon juice/parsley, mix well into the sauce/pasta.
    7. Serve.

At this point you could even garnish the pasta with shaved Parmesan if you like, and eat it with garlic bread or something.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    Stuff with onions
    I believe they said they couldn't stomach any sort of onion or pepper due to illness.

That being said, just skip the onions.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

my bad

garlic works too, or better yet, bacon bits

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    I wouldn't do tomato sauce for beginner pasta sauce since it takes very long to make, and you can pretty much buy a jar of already done tomato sauce and add your own stuff to it.

I'd go with white wine, lemon, and butter sauce (a very light version of beurre blanc) . VERY quick to make, and easy as hell.

Pasta: 12-15 min total

-First you boil the pasta according to the box's instruction
    -drain the pasta
    -give it a quick rinse with cold water to cool it down
    -drain the pasta again
    -set it aside in a bowl.
    -toss it with olive oil, you only want a tiny bit of oil here so the pasta doesn't stick to each other. Or you can use non-stick spray(unflavored one, butter spray sucks) while tossing the pasta instead.
    -cover and set aside while you make the sauce.

Sauce: 5 min total

ingredients for 1 portion:
    1 tbsp of sliced shallots or 3 tbsp of diced yellow/red/white onion works too if you don't have shallots lying around.
    1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
    1/4 of a stick of butter cut into tiny cubes (size of a dice)
    1 lemon, zest half the lemon, and juice the whole lemon.
    1/4 cup of white wine (preferably dry wine, sweet/fruity wine doesn't really work)
    1-2 tbsp of chopped parsley (doesn't matter which kind, I prefer flat leaf parsley as opposed to curly parsley)

1. Heat up the olive oil on a pan.
    2. Throw in the shallots or onion in the pan, cook them until they're starting brown.
    3. Once they're starting to brown, pour in the white wine into the pan. (it will be bubbling)
    4. Let it boil until the white wine is reduced to about half of its original volume.
    4. Throw in a cube of butter, stir until it dissolve, throw in another one, rinse and repeat until you run out of butter.
    5. Toss in the pasta that you've set aside into the sauce.
    6. Throw in the lemon zest/lemon juice/parsley, mix well into the sauce/pasta.
    7. Serve.

At this point you could even garnish the pasta with shaved Parmesan if you like, and eat it with garlic bread or something.
    Unless you're doing a large batch, there's no reason to boil the pasta ahead of time, and especially no reason to douse it with cold water. Cold water rinses remove a lot of the outer starches that help the sauces actually stick to the pasta. Make your sauce, whether canned or homemade, and when it's close to done, boil your pasta. Strain pasta and return to pan, spoon in enough sauce to coat the pasta and mix well. After putting it on your plate put another spoon or two of sauce on top and you're done.

The only reason to shock pasta is if you're cooking it far in advance, or if you're cooking enough that it has to be done in multiple batches. If you're cooking a single person or even a single family meal, it will taste better, and be much easier, if you just boil the pasta when it's time to. Even if you wait until the sauce is completely cooked, just put it on low and let it sit while you boil the pasta. Allowing pasta sauce to cook a little longer at a low temp is very rarely a bad idea.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Didn't go grocery shopping this week and wife went out to dinner with her cousin. Ended up making pierogies(boiled them first then put them in a skillet.) Microwaved a few slices of bacon and some kielbasa and tossed some mushrooms in. Mixed it all together, cooked until the pierogies were starting to brown a bit. Fantastic.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    Didn't go grocery shopping this week and wife went out to dinner with her cousin. Ended up making pierogies(boiled them first then put them in a skillet.) Microwaved a few slices of bacon and some kielbasa and tossed some mushrooms in. Mixed it all together, cooked until the pierogies were starting to brown a bit. Fantastic.
    Such a fucking Pittsburgher.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yeah pretty much lol.

Campaign
    BG Level