Ricotta
    1 jar tomato sauce of some sort
    lasagna noodles

First crisp up pepperoni in saucepan and remove,
    then leaving the remaining pepperoni grease, brown up ground beef and drain
    return to saucepan and add in tomato sauce

Boil lasagna noodles until preferred tenderness

Now to assemble the lasagna:
    Start with portion of meat/tomato mixture to cover bottom of baking pan/casserole, top with a layer of crisp pepperoni, top with Motz and a little chedder, top with lasagna noodles, top with ricotta. Repeat this until the baking pan/casserole dish is full and bake for 20-25 min at like 400 degress, allow to cool and then proceed to get fat.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Does anyone have a good, easy fried rice recipe? I actually suck at cooking but I love fried rice, so I would love to learn how to make it. Not the sticky saffron-yellow kind either, I mean the slicker browner kind that tastes like awesome and win.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I started with this
    http://chinesefood.about.com/od/rice...cfriedrice.htm

and added meats and other stuff once I got it right.

It's the first google result for Fried Rice recipe. Gotta start somewhere?

I tend to use more eggs then the recipe calls for. (I use 4)

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Does anyone have a good, easy fried rice recipe? I actually suck at cooking but I love fried rice, so I would love to learn how to make it. Not the sticky saffron-yellow kind either, I mean the slicker browner kind that tastes like awesome and win.
    When making friend rice. It's best to use day-old rice. As for ingredients it's really up to you. Here is the general cooking order:

Get a pan up to medium high heat and toss in the rice. Your objective here is to warm up the day old rice and get it a bit crispy. Once this is done put to the side. Whatever ingredients you decided on, make sure they're cut into small pieces. Get pan up to medium-high and add a tiny bit of oil.

Meat all you're doing is searing it, so a few minutes on both sides. Veggies and stuff that cooks fast, you want it all to be a bit undercooked. Put all semi-cooked ingredients to the side. Add a tiny bit of oil and toss in the rice then toss in the ingredients. You should be constantly stirring so it doesn't stick. The hotter the pan the better so all the moisture is removed. During this final cooking stage, you can add salt & pepper, chili flakes or whatever you like. If you want to make "golden rice". Turn off the heat and add a beaten egg and stir until its mixed into the rice. The heat from the rice will cook the egg.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Made a beef stew Sunday that came out really well.

I used:
    2 cans beef broth
    2 bottles cheap beer
    2 cups water
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon either worcestershire, soy, teryiyaki, or oyster sauce
    4 carrots
    4 mid-sized potatoes
    4 celery sticks
    1/2 head red cabbage
    1 head of garlic
    4 onions
    2 red bell peppers
    Salt
    Vegetable oil
    2 lbs cubed 'stew beef' or flank steak or whatever cheap cut you like
    1/2 package bacon

Day before prep:
    Put the beef on a plate and coat each side with salt. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. I do this any time I cook a steak and it makes a huge difference imo. Also, don't worry about cutting the beef cubes much smaller than what the butcher gives you, when the stew is done each piece will be able to be broken up by a spoon easily.

Day of:
    Pull out your crock-pot and fill it with the water, beer and broth and put it to low heat.
    Chop up the bacon into pieces that'll be slightly larger than what will fit on a spoon and fry them until they start to brown. Then toss them in the pot leaving the grease in the pan. Seer each side (or at least 2 sides) of the beef cubes in the same pan and put in the pot when done. Chop up the onions and throw them in the same pan to caramelize them. Use some veg oil and salt on the onions to help them along. Alton Brown has a video on how to do this, but you don't necessarily need to take them as far along as he does. If you don't want to caramelize them, that's ok too, but the difference between regular and caramelized is fairly substantial.

Cut up the rest of the vegs, except the peppers and cabbage, into spoon sized pieces and toss them in the pot. Cut the garlic into 3 or 4 pieces as well, big garlic chunks won't be a big deal since most of the punch is going to be lost in the liquid so don't worry about mincing it. You can also keep the skins on the potatoes if that's what you like, just be sure to scrub them well. Once the onions are done, throw everything from the pan into the pot. If you get some of the bacon fat floating along the surface of the pot you can skim it off, but it really doesn't make any difference other than looking nicer.

Let it sit in the pot for about 4 hours, stirring every once in a while. When 4 hours are up, toss in the peppers and cabbage after cutting them to spoon sized pieces. You can put them in earlier if you like, but this way leaves them with some crunch in them.
    Add in the vinegar and sauce and it'll really start to smell nice. After about another hour or so, to let the peppers and cabbage cook a bit, it'll be finished.

Red-peppers, Orange-carrots, Yellow-onions, Green-celery, Blue-shut up, Purple-cabbage. Looks pretty good, eh? Maybe I'll remember to take a picture next time...

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Um...when people say 'oil' for stir frying what kind of oil do they mean? >_> I almost never cook (because I suck at it) so I've never made a recipe that calls for oil for that kind of thing. Olive oil? I know canola/vegetable is mostly used in baking...

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Technically, Canola is popular for frying too.

But probably olive oil and a little bit of sesame oil for stir fry

Old Merits
    BG Level

For stir fry you want an oil that has a high smoking point.
    Peanut oil is something I would reach for but there are several that would be good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

In terms of "good" and "bad" oils, canola oil is one of the best to stir-fry with. High smoking point, and low in saturated fats. Also, avocado oil is the oil of the gods (and the price reflects that). Never use olive oil, because while it might part a great taste to the food, it turns sour and can ruin the taste when stir-frying on higher heats.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Ok thanks for the advice. I usually use canola oil for baking too, though I have a shit-ton of olive oil in my pantry right now from christmas that I don't know what to do with. I heard that because canola oil is made from rapeseed, which is very bad for humans unprocessed, that it's got some bad qualities to it that should be avoided. Anyone an advocate of not using canola oil or should I just suck it up and enjoy it like every other horrible processed american (in this case, canadian) food that will probably kill me eventually? XD

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by aru View Post
    For stir fry you want an oil that has a high smoking point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirian
    In terms of "good" and "bad" oils, canola oil is one of the best to stir-fry with. High smoking point, and low in saturated fats. Also, avocado oil is the oil of the gods (and the price reflects that). Never use olive oil, because while it might part a great taste to the food, it turns sour and can ruin the taste when stir-frying on higher heats.
    Correct on both points. When stir frying you want to keep the pan hot and constantly mixing everything around. If you have non-stick pan. you don't need a lot of oil. Sesame oil can be used to flavor the stir fry, just be careful not to over use it as it's really strong.

I subscribe to 2 youtube cooking channels:

http://www.youtube.com/user/foodwishes/videos (a nice variety of food)

http://www.youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog/videos (mostly Japanese dishes)

Anyone watch any other cooking channels? I'd love to add more to my collection

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

@ vagus: Back when I lived with my folks, I would watch Food Network a lot and one of my favorite shows was Good Eats. On youtube I subscribed to LikeTheHat and Khadgar34. If you've never seen the show, it combines cooking with humor and some science, so that you know what's happening when you're cooking something.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You all realize Vandole is pretty much living off ramen noodles now?

Old Merits
    BG Level

What was posted that you think is too extravagant?

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Not extravagant by any sense. I could have sworn Dole said something about him being broke. But since it's not in his original post I had to edit my shit. Damn it Vandole.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Uh, i talked about being in BG chat that i ate nothing but ramen noodles this week to pay for a movie ticket? That's about it. Going grocery shopping tomorrow at Sam's club and gonna get a shitton of food though. Considering making a huge stew and eating it with rice and veggies all weekend.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Cream Soda is broke. Vandole is not.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

8 ounces rotini
    4 cups broccoli florets
    4 ounces sweet Italian sausage (remove from casing)
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    6 cloves garlic, sliced
    1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
    3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup grated Romano cheese

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions. Add the broccoli to the pot during the final 2 minutes of cooking. Drain the pasta and broccoli.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until the sausage starts to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the oil and garlic and cook until the garlic starts to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the beans and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the pasta-broccoli mixture, salt, and black pepper. Cook until hot, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Serve immediately.

Per serving (2 cups): 400 calories, 9g fat, 3g saturated fat, 550mg sodium, 60g carbs, 7g dietary fiber, 20g protein

--

I didn't follow the recipe exactly, but it came out pretty well. I added rigatoni because I didn't have enough rotini, and I used turkey sausage instead of Italian sausage (personal preference). Also didn't use cloves of garlic, just used enough garlic powder that I felt was sufficient.

Doesn't look all that appealing in the picture I took, but it's damn good.

Would probably taste good with chopped up bacon in it too, to meet the requirements of the thread.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I thought it looked pretty good in the picture.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

made broccoli n beef. also marinated some mushrooms to it. Bliss.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag